BMW /5 toaster-tank cafe

Re: BMW /5 toaster cafe-- new project, the dreaded harley

cafematty said:
You know I have a Nighty? (My wife kinda stole it from me)
I have some plans for it. I've just been trying to finish up a few projects, and then I'm diving into it. I pulled the stock bars off and threw some clipons on it. COMPLETELY changed the way it rides.... Feel a LOT more confident in the corners.

Na man I didn't know! Nice, you got the 1200 cc version. First thing I did is swap out the bars for drag bars (check on my new thread link on my signature). Next thing up is relocating the speedo and exhaust.

I notice a big difference in handeling between this and the toaster. The old beamer handles so much better in the turns... although the iron is very confortable to cruz around town/commute. I will be keeping an eye out for your nightster build thread :D

cafematty said:
(My wife kinda stole it from me)

Also, funny you say that... My iron will also be my girlfriends ride on the weekends. She is afraid to ride my beamer, plus she really isn't tall enough for the seat setup. She rode a orange and black 883r to classes during college so this should be a good scoot for her.

jkluesner said:
she really isn't tall enough for the seat setup

Yeah the Nightster's seat height is like 25 inches.. lol.. redic.

I think your rock guard is awesome. I have a 1972 r75 toaster too. Where did you get it? What size? and how did you mount it?

Any help would be appreciated.

my ride (pretty stock, but not restored and all original):

IMG_0499.jpg

Thanks,
Jonathan

njmaki said:
my ride (pretty stock, but not restored and all original):
Oh you suck! Here I thought I had it good... ;)

Seriously though Jonathan, you probably ought to edit your post ASAP and just PM him your e-mail addy.
Nice bike!

Thanks Hoosier.

Didn't realize I left it one there. Gonna leave it alone and enjoy it. Might add the stone guard though, just love the vintage look of it.

njmaki said:
I think your rock guard is awesome. I have a 1972 r75 toaster too. Where did you get it? What size? and how did you mount it?

I purchased something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Mini-Cooper-MG-Triumph-Headlamp-Stone-Guards-/261077180610?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc969a0c2&vxp=mtr#ht_699wt_1143

I don't remember the actual diameter I bought and I am out of town for a week or so... but can measure it when I get back. I bought two chrome guards and had one powder-coated black. I then used some strong springs to mount the headlamp to the chrome headlamp trim guard (from the 1960's bmws). Pretty cheap mode to make really. Been riding that way for almost a year now.

She is no longer my daily ride and I only ride her on the weekends, you know along Highway 1 in Big Sur, etc 8)

photo by jkluesner, on Flickr

jkluesner,

Yea, the diameter and any close up pics of how you attached it would be great!

Thanks.

njmaki said:
jkluesner,

Yea, the diameter and any close up pics of how you attached it would be great!

Thanks.

Looks like you will need a 5 3/4 inch stone guard. Our /5s have a smaller headlamp diameter than the /6s.

Here is a pick of the stone guard mounted after I installed my H4 headlamp conversion and new reflector. There is a small spring on the top and bottom also not shown here.

IMG_1793 by jkluesner, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom