BMW /5 toaster-tank cafe

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build

I know of people who run them on an XS650 and love them. As I havent purchased them yet, I cant really say for sure, but I THINK theyll be ok for a heavier bike. Im sure other folks here could give you more detailed info though.

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5---shocks

After some consideration I think I am going to go with some period-based cafe style shocks. You can pick up a pair of NOS Hammerhead shocks on ebay for about $200 including shipping. I have to admit, I love that upside-down reservoir look :)

Anybody have any experience with these?

hammerhead by jkluesner, on Flickr

this is a super rad bike, lookin forward to seeing ur progress. good stuff man!

jkluesner said:
After some consideration I think I am going to go with some period-based cafe style shocks. You can pick up a pair of NOS Hammerhead shocks on ebay for about $200 including shipping. I have to admit, I love that upside-down reservoir look :)

Anybody have any experience with these?

hammerhead by jkluesner, on Flickr

I have a pair I put on my cb750 before I tore it down for my cafe build. The ride was pretty nice . . . far better than stock shocks. I have a custom swingarm that takes eye to eye (i/o eye to clevis) shocks. They do look terrific.
They are period correct but my sense is that they tended to be more often used on Japanese bikes than some of the European cafés. On my 77 R100, I have a set of Konis that really suit the bike; to me the Hammerheads might be a built too much bulk when compared with sideways cylinders, big gas tank, etc.
I don't think you can go wrong though, just my style choice.
PM if you'd like and I can take a snap or two of my bike with a view of both for your review.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Omars has the Hammerheads, I've been looking at buying a set for a while and still think I still may. Let me know what your experiance with them is. Here is a link
http://www.omarsdtr.com/shox2.html

Went ahead and ordered them. Should have them by early next week. FYI, I will be in Costa Rica for the next month and a half, so there won't be many updates on this thread :( I plan on buying some parts while I am gone though (mainly new carbs and a nice seat).

Job requires that I go...

Here's a shot of the Koni's already on my R100 café:

IMG_1000000480.jpg

and what a set of Hammerheads look like on them:

IMG_1000000481.jpg

Obviously in my case they would bump into my exhaust but this gives you a sense of the difference.

swellguy said:
Here's a shot of the Koni's already on my R100 café:

Yeah, I see the issue with the exhaust. Personally, I kind of like the "chunky" look. I might go with a mild-knobby tire setup as well. Did you paint the engine block? If so, what paint did you use. Also, did you put a block-off plate where the airbox used to be?

The engine is powdercoated and I did use a block off plate.
If you go for knobby tires, and I don't know what your budget is, I just installed a set of Dunlop K180s on my cb750 project:

photo2945.jpg

Assuming you're running 18 rear and 19 front.

There is also the classic Dunlop K70s:

tyre_K70_f.jpg

which are far easier to obtain than the K180s.

OH MAN! I absolutely love the old airhead Beemers. I started working at on of the local bike shops here. We deal primarily in vintage Harley stuff but we've all got a huge hard on for these old Euro bikes. We have a beautiful slash 5 in the shop right now and my boss is the proud owner of 3 slash 2's. I'm super excited to see how this one turns out. Good luck to ya.

Hey guys.

No updates for a while... I am stuck on a research boat off of Costa Rica for the next month :( I am ordering parts though :)

Should have a new seat and Mikini carbs (pre-jetted) waiting for me when I get back. I am tired of priming the old bing carbs to get it started. I feel like I am milking a cow...

-J

It is a beautiful place, however when you are working 12 hour shifts and hauling heavy equipment around in 90 degree heat it's not so fun :(

All in the name of science :)

Just got back to the states and had these wonderful parts waiting for me :) Mikuni carbs, dunlop tires, shocks, and a used speedo. Taking the tank to get re-lined today. Got a quote for $125-$145 to do the tank. Is this about right for this type of job?

parts by jkluesner, on Flickr

The tank already has a liner in it. I figured that would need to be removed first.

My paint guy said he uses liquid paint remover to strip liners. Not sure if it will work on an aftermarket sealer (like Por15)... But if it's the OEM liner, you should be fine...

Another option is to take it to a radiator shop and let them just vat it overnight.

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- Speedo work

So yesterday I decided to tackle the speedo issue. The one that came with the bike was completely destroyed (see pic--all the internal parts were busted, missing, and loose). I got a used one on ebay for $71 (tach needs some work, but the rest is solid), however it was missing the glass cover, chrome ring, and it was pretty rusty and beat up. With a little paint work, cleaning and taking parts from the old speedo I got a decent part. These things usually go for around $300 used on ebay, so I am happy with the outcome :)

original speedo:

old_speedo by jkluesner, on Flickr

ebay speedo:

speedo 10-47-31 by jkluesner, on Flickr

combined speedo:

speedo_combine by jkluesner, on Flickr

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- need special socket/headlight setup

So... I am stuck until I get the "special" 27mm socket to remove the swing arm. The 27 mm locknut inside the frame is so tight to the swing-arm frame tube that you have to use a shaved down 27mm socket. I tried a normal 27 mm socket to no avail... This is the third special BMW tool I have had to buy :(

Other than that it's down to frame and engine and I have decided to powder-coat the frame. Question: do I need to remove the bearing races before powder-coating? I would prefer to mask them off and leave them in. I know I will destroy them trying to get them out. They make a special tool to remove them... but that is like another $60...

Also, I have decided to go with a retro BMW look on the headlamp. I purchased a chrome protector ring (might powder-coat it black) to go over the headlamp (see old beemer pic). I also purhased some vintage stone guards for the headlamp. I plan on powder-coating this black as well to give it more of a "rugged" look. What you guys think? Like the stone guard or no?

frame/enigne

bike_teardown by jkluesner, on Flickr

old 50's beemer

old_beemer by jkluesner, on Flickr

possible headlight setup

headlight_setup by jkluesner, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom