BMW /5 toaster-tank cafe

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- need special socket/headlight setup

jkluesner said:
This is the third special BMW tool I have had to buy :(
Grind a regular socket down with an angle grinder... See my post here..
http://www.cafematty.com/swingarm-and-motor-removal/

jkluesner said:
do I need to remove the bearing races before powder-coating?
If you're talking about the ones on the headset (where the forks go on), you technically don't have to.. i managed to get away with it.. BUT it's not a bad idea to replace those anyway.. If you're talking about the swingarm, I would DEFINITELY replace those... Either way, just make sure the p/c guy knows about it.. and on that note.. make sure he masks holes REALLY well.. and definitely not the let him coat inside the holes on the back forks where the allen bolt goes through to secure the axle... also the VIN.. it's in an ugly spot on the neck.. if you DON'T coat it, it will look funny... if you DO coat it.. it will be invisible..

Also, that swingarm my give you some problems.. be prepared to make friends at the BMW dealership, as it takes a special press to get the drive shaft out of the swingarm. I fiddled with it for a while (nearing my deadline for dropping my frame off at the powdercoater) and just said forget it... the guy charged me 30 bucks to disassemble and said when it's done to bring it back up there and he will re-assemble for me (he also did the swingarm bearings for me while he was at it)...

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- Got some picks of my seat!!

cafematty said:
Grind a regular socket down with an angle grinder... See my post here..
http://www.cafematty.com/swingarm-and-motor-removal/

If I had an angle grinder then I would have done this... thinking of getting one because I still need to trim down the back fender and I don't feel like using a dremel or hacksaw (I used this on the front fender). Thanks for the input regarding the swing-arm... I didn't realize that this thing might be a bear to deal with. Your blog is very helpful Cafematty!

Received some pics of my finished seat today. Only got $40 bucks (shipping) invested in this baby! Sent this guy my old seat pan in a trade that he makes me a seat. Now he has a template to make /5 short-wheel-base seats and I have a new seat. I think it was a good trade :)

Picture 001 by jkluesner, on Flickr

Picture 002 by jkluesner, on Flickr

I also sweated my balls off trying to polish the back rim. Man... this thing is in bad shape. Dirty as hell, tar, and bad pitting. Started with 320 grit and worked my way up to 1,000 grit. The product is somewhat OK, however I won't be able to get rid of the pitting.

IMG_1183 by jkluesner, on Flickr

IMG_1184 by jkluesner, on Flickr

And finally! I got a motorcycle jack! No more book-stand :) Only problem was getting that baby onto the stand... Lifting the bike, moving the books, and putting it up the center-stand while moving it onto the jack was, say, very interesting and my back is very pissed off today. Also, took the center-stand off and one side has a hole rusted in it! Think I am just going to convert to side-stand anyway.

IMG_1188 by jkluesner, on Flickr

IMG_1187 by jkluesner, on Flickr

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- Got some picks of my seat!!

jkluesner said:
If I had an angle grinder then I would have done this...
Dude. If you read all my posts you'll see that I use that angle grinder constantly... It's well worth the 35 bucks.

jkluesner said:
Your blog is very helpful Cafematty!
Ha! Thanks man.. I literally JUST went through all the things you're going through, so it's all still very fresh. I don't always go into great detail on some of the things I do, as I feel this info is easily available at some of the other blogs.. I just try to fill in the gaps.. the things you don't always catch on the blogs while you're wrist deep in boxer juice. (sounds kinda dirty)

jkluesner said:
Also, took the center-stand off and one side has a hole rusted in it! Think I am just going to convert to side-stand anyway.
LOL.. mine had the SAME hole. I just hit it with some appliance epoxy (super tough paint.. use it on the parts you don't want to powder but need a durable finish)... I'm sure you are aware of the potential issues with leaving it on the side stand all the time. Floods that left cylinder... hard starts.. etc.. So I would definitely try and find a longer side stand to minimize the effects. There are tons of posts on this issue in various forums. I personally hacked my side stand bracket off before it went to powder.

Seat looks AMAZING!! And good work on the wheels.. the key is shining her up, while keeping the 40 year old character... Like getting grandpa new teeth.

Super excited about this project, yo!

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- Race removal and triple-tree

Removed the races today. Got a nice race-removal tool from Cycle Works. The races had vertical bands worn from the bearings.... looks like these babies have never been replaced. Dropping off the frame and other parts to get powder-coated tomorrow. Also, got my new Triple Tree in the mail :)

race_removal_1 by jkluesner, on Flickr

race_removal_2 by jkluesner, on Flickr

races by jkluesner, on Flickr

triple_tree by jkluesner, on Flickr

bottom_race by jkluesner, on Flickr

likin' that triple tree....

don't think my centre stand has a hole in it....curious now, can't wait to get home and have a peek.... :)

Triple-tree is from San Jose BMW (~$120 if I remember correctly). I think the hole in the center-stand is a pretty common thing among older airheads. The hole is being welded and the center-stand is getting powder-coated. Decided against the side-stand, as Cafematty said, it causing issues with smoking during starting, etc.

Unmounted my first tire yesterday and man, that thing was a bitch! Truly a brute-force job.

Cyclone, looks like you're coming along nicely on your build.

jkluesner said:
Unmounted my first tire yesterday and man, that thing was a bitch! Truly a brute-force job.

Oh man.. I need to find this video I shot of Replica and me trying to unmount a tire. There may have been an angle grinder involved......

Does the guy who did your seat have website or email.

BicycleBobe said:
Does the guy who did your seat have website or email.

BicycleBobe, here is his ebay store: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hondaclassic31/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Here is the exact same seat he is selling on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-1973-BMW-Short-R50-5-R60-5-R75-5-short-wheel-seat-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2ee79ebfQQitemZ400218889919QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I received the seat yesterday and it is a very nice quality. He included mounts on the bottom and integrated bolts to mount the seat hardware I took off my old seat.

Hey, jkluesner.

Really enjoying your build thread. Seems like you're havin' fun too! The seat looks great...excellent timing on the trade. Love the SJ top brace. I almost went that route but ordered the ToasterTan product to allow the fork tubes to slide through.

Keep on building man, looking forward to your progress reports. Here's a pic of my R75/6.

I need to steal your avatar Sparky.. Black and orange is my fave.

sparkymoto said:

Sparky, that is a very sweet build! I love the mono-shock. I think I saw your build on avrider perhaps... did you custom make your rear sets? I think I remember reading that. Anyway, sweet-ass build man!

I should get my parts (frame, sub-frame, and 13 other bits) back from the powder-coat mid next week. Then time to start rebuilding :)

just sold mine today, got layed off
gonna miss it but I still have my SR500

Attachments

• GEDC1808.JPG
    GEDC1808.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 354
Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- engine casing cleaned/painting parts

Well this weekend wasn't as productive as I would have hopped... Did get the engine block cleaned up (see before and after pics) and it is ready to mount back into the frame (when I get it back...). The front timing cover and top starter cover are being powder-coated gloss black...should look pretty cool. I also did some rattle-can painting of a few parts. Below is an image of the R60/5 engine tags that I painted with gloss-black engine enamel. Turned out pretty nice :)

engine_cleaned by jkluesner, on Flickr

IMG_0833 by jkluesner, on Flickr

tags by jkluesner, on Flickr

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- rebuild phase one

Got the parts back from powder-coating today! They look great! Finished cleaning up the transmission and started to rebuild. I hammered in the new races (30 min in freezer helped a ton). I should have the swingarm in tomorrow and then I will work on the wiring harness. Anyway, I put the seat on just to see what is will look like :)

rebuild_1 by jkluesner, on Flickr

rebuild_2 by jkluesner, on Flickr

Re: 1973 BMW R60/5 build -- new bearings and triple tree installed

Got the new bearings, triple-tree, and clamp on (forks are in, not shown in picks). The triple-clamp is San Jose BMW and I didn't know this, but one has to cut 0.65 inches off of the tops of the headlight ears to get it to fit. So, busted out the hack-saw and went at it. Looks OK I think. Polishing up more parts (by hand with sand paper-- see brake lever) and the tank, fenders, and headlight bucket are currently at my uncle's body shop getting painted BMW black. Slowly coming together....

On a side note... as I was installing the telescopic forks I spilled a bunch of fork oil out the top. The oil was very grey/black... is this normal? I am not sure what color fork oil should be, but it seemed very dirty. It probably hasn't been replaced in a long, long time.

triple_clamp_2 by jkluesner, on Flickr

triple_clamp by jkluesner, on Flickr

brake_pedal by jkluesner, on Flickr

Nice! Quick tip... When you put that shaft boot on... square side goes towards swingarm, round towards tranny... it should also say "OBEN" on the round end... this means top.. (so that side up)

At a glance, this is very easy to overlook and will end with a leaky swingarm joint. :D

Super excited to see the finished product!

why did you paint the handle bar clamps? they polish up so nice.

Back
Top Bottom