DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!

Re: "77 Honda CB550Four SUPER REVERSE PORT By DWMS Racing

Ya man. Itll be a little while though. Im surfing DTT on my phone today. Left the laptop at home.

Wow. This is shaping up to be something else.

I like that you're going against convention. I'm in no position to speak of the advantages or disadvantages, obstacles or shortcuts of such an endeavour, but I genuinely hope it works out well and I'm excited to see it come together. Color me subscribed.

By now Joe has had a bunch of us explain why it's an expensive time consuming idea that is unlikely to work, but it's his time and cash and I have been known to tilt at windmills before now too.

In fact the Phat Trakka project is designed to use two things that people say won't work. - a 3 into 1 pipe and CV carbs. I plan on testing both, along with two other sets of pipes and a set of larger flatslides and a few other porting option. There is only one way to prove or disprove a theory and that's to try it.

and seriously, if it wasn't for pushing out of conventional wisdom we sure as hell wouldn't be here where we are today.

If it doesn't work it's time/money, not any of ours, but if it works they way he wants it to and performs well now he's got hero status and copycats will follow.

I think everyone already knows the level of confidence I have in this setup, and yes I LOVE to go against convention and have something a little different from what everyone else has...I think we all want to set ourselves apart and that is one of the things that is so cool about the love affair with the motorcycle as we all do what we like to make them our own. I am very happy that whether we agree or disagree that my build has generated interest and am very thankful for having all of you post your comments and opinions! I will have new pic's up soon!

If your determined to do it, it would probably be a lot easier to weld up some of the stud holes then re-drill them, weld 'plates' into cam chain tunnel then reverse head.
I have a scrap 550 head if you need one to cut up (someone failed when trying to port it ::))
Are you going to 'gooseneck' frame/steering head?
Carbs with filters will be sticking forward further than exhaust pipes would
Some aftermarket pipes will catch on front tyre when braking
That was part of the reason I fitted inch and half longer fork tubes to my 550, extra ground clearance was other reason, use CB750 rear shocks to keep bike level

You know my thoughts on back to front motors, but if you like Weber carbs (my experience with them is only on cars), how about a pair of webers in teh normal place or sticking out teh sides on a common manifold with plenum chamber.

Even more sick looking would be IDF Webers which are like teh DCOE but mounted vertically. Take them through where the tank used to sit for a totally radical look. I'd suggest a chenge to EFI but that is too subtle a difference and may not be noticed.

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/weber_intake-300x225.jpg

Check this out!! It's upside down and backward. Like the song says; it's your thing, do what ya gotta do.

Brother Hot Rod Troy that is a very interesting machine! I am especially interested in the oiling system and have been searching for more information on that, I found that the bike is powered by a 1814cc triple engine and they are saying the bikes weight will be around 330 pounds which is amazing for a 1814cc engined machine! There are a few more photos of the bike here for anyone that is interested - http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/12/19/nembo-super-32-inverted-3-cylinder-motorcycle-contruction-photos/

If you look back through their archives you should be able to find some more. Knee slider had another mention of it earlier this year or late lastyear.

Brother Hot Rod Troy it was really late last night when I was researching it so I did not get to spend too much time looking but I plan on spending a little time this evening reading more information on it!

Brother Joksa thank you so much for that link! I have never seen that before, I figured someone had to have done it and really thought that maybe some of the antique bikes could have been that way but I definately did not know the 2010 Yamaha YZ450F was reverse ported!

Thanks again!

Joey, I told you the YZF450 was a reverse port in the discussion thread haha. It should be noted that it doesn;t make the most pwoer though - that honour goes to the conventionally ported Suzuki RMZ450. It should also be noted that all these bikes are liquid cooled.

As an aside, the reverse ported YZF runs into problems with exhaust harmonics and emissions/sound contraints due to having much less length in which to run an exhaust. It gets around this (partially) by placing a full loop in the underseat area, more or less negating the benefits of the allegedly better flow of reverse porting. It does have a downdraught EFI system, however, and this I am a big fan of. Its about time... my old Valiant has a downdraught carburettor for crying out loud!

Anyway, its a good design but is mostly based around weight distribution. It allegedly runs like its on rails, which after riding a conventional YZF450... must be something else entirely to experience. I mean, even the toned down, streetable version - the WR450 - is very, very good offroad.

Anywho, bve good to see how your project goes Joey. All the best - boingk

Brother Boingk I apologize, I must not have seen where you told me that! I know it will not be a beneficial performance upgrade I just want the cool factor!

I am trying to get my frame built so that I can set the engine in the cradle and start building the intakes and the header!

I am ready to start putting a lot of time in the 550! I got started on the frame and cut it down to the engine cradle. I also cut off all of the tabs that I will not be using and removed the centerstand and the brackets for it. I set the engine in the cradle today and started working out the exhaust too.

000_0030.jpg

I will be using the stock neck but I am converting the front of the frame from a double downtube to a single downtube to the ports and double downtube from the ports down to make more room for the carburetors out front. Also from the factory these frames have a sheetmetal backbone from the neck back (under the tank) so I cut this out as well and will be replacing it with tube so the frame will be a full tube chassis.

dude some rad stuff happening here, i dig it very much!

Thanks Brother! I got a little work done today! I started on the exhaust and got the header partially built. I am loading the pic's now and will post them here in a few.

Back
Top Bottom