'71 CB350 with GSXR front end and other improvements

fisdan said:
I am looking ón all balls HomePage
Is this the right fork beerings?

99-3541-5
99-3512-5

yes those seem to be correct ones. i dont have the parts list with me right now to confirm.

keeleydavis said:
Is that a custom hoop on the tail or did you bend up the original?

the original rear hoop isnt really even a hoop, its like a pretty crappy piece of sheetmetal bent up and over. so i had a welding shop cut that off and attach the hoop you see in the photo. i got the hoop from dime city cycles. ($100 or so).

timmysf said:
Its a front end from a Suzuki GSXR 600/750. You can use a range of years, but this particular one is 2006, I believe. You can use forks from the K5 or K6. There were different fork color options .. so pick what will match your bike best.

And those forks dropped right in and no modding or machining to fit in frame? What about the steering stops any issues there?

hey did they fab up these caliper spacers i have pointed out? do you have contact info if they did? i need to have some of these made as well for my setup. thanks!

Attachments

• front forks.jpg
    front forks.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 998
ricracer16 said:
And those forks dropped right in and no modding or machining to fit in frame? What about the steering stops any issues there?

with the correct bearings and the spacer (see the post i made on specifics earlier in this thread), you wont need to do any mods to the the fork from the GSXR.

while you technically dont need to modify the frame either to fit the forks.. the fork tubes will hit the gas tank if no steering stops are in place, so that'll be a necessary step.

cheers

MJPriceisright said:
hey did they fab up these caliper spacers i have pointed out? do you have contact info if they did? i need to have some of these made as well for my setup. thanks!

the same guy who machined the axle adapters for the rotors did those caliper spacers. you need to put in the spacers if you're using Hayabusa rotors which are 10mm larger in diameter than the GSXR rotors. (spacers are 5mm). they're pretty simple aluminum spacers but if you want to send me a PM, i can pass on the email of the guy who did the spacers for me.

Word of warning to those who are assembling the clutch on the CB350. It's apparently quite possible to mount the clutch pressure disc (with springs and bolts) in a manner that seems completely kosher, but the pressure disc isn't completely seated right. I ran into this issue myself and only after finding this thread on the hondatwins forum did I figure it out.

The big warning sign (which led me down this rabbit hole).. is that if you have the pressure disc mounted wrong, the inner and outer parts of the clutch will not be engaged (there will be free play in between the discs).

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12585

The fix is relatively simple.. just take out the clutch spring bolts, jiggle around the clutch pressure disc until it seats deeper in the clutch basket, then re-do the clutch springs and bolts.

timmysf said:
with the correct bearings and the spacer (see the post i made on specifics earlier in this thread), you wont need to do any mods to the the fork from the GSXR.

while you technically dont need to modify the frame either to fit the forks.. the fork tubes will hit the gas tank if no steering stops are in place, so that'll be a necessary step.

cheers
Question: Why is everyone using 'busa rotors for this swap? Why not just get 310mm rotors from 600/750? I'm wondering because I'm at this point in my swap and gotta get rotors.

Edit: NVM I figured it out and ordered some 2000 'busa rotors, the bolt PCD is 91mm all the 310mm rotors have a larger PCD

SUBSCRIBED

I just picked up an '08 gsxr 600 front end (forks, triples, brakes, lines, handlebars and levers) and have a 72 cb350. Im just wondering if you could tell me how much that front rim cost to get made up, and any other tips/tricks with the install or things you would do differently.

Im also hoping to eventually get discs for the rear so if you figure that out, keep me posted!

thanks!

T4R said:
SUBSCRIBED

I just picked up an '08 gsxr 600 front end (forks, triples, brakes, lines, handlebars and levers) and have a 72 cb350. Im just wondering if you could tell me how much that front rim cost to get made up, and any other tips/tricks with the install or things you would do differently.

Im also hoping to eventually get discs for the rear so if you figure that out, keep me posted!

thanks!

I was discussing this with another member on a private message. This is what I typed up.

* I am using a narrow glide hub. I found a black anodized one from a Harley Nightster. It was only drilled on one side for disc brakes. You need to get a hub that was for a 25mm or 1" axle. Harley made those hubs in 3/4", 1" and 25mm (WTF?!). U can put new bearings in a 1" hub to make it fit a 25mm axle (if youre using the suzuki axle. then you can drill the other side if you are running dual-discs.

* There are also many variations of the narrow glide in terms of width and shape of the sides around the axle. So don't create those spacers until you have the actual hub in hand. I have two narrow glide hubs in my garage. Both are distinctly different and a spacer would need to be done differently for both.

* You'll need a spacer to move the rotors wider so they fit in the calipers (as you mentioned) but you'll also need to machine the spacer so it correctly centers the rotors since the flange that centers the rotors on the harley hub is smaller than the 'busa rotor opening. this may not be absolutely necessary but on a critical component like this - cant hurt to have one more area of support.

* heres what really killed me tho... the harley hubs are drilled for 40 spokes. most japanese bike wheels are 32 or 36 spokes. harley front wheels only come in 16" or 19" AFAIK. i had to have this shop custom drill a excel rim for 40 holes and lace it to the harley hub. this cost me a lot of money.

* before i got into all this.. my machinist suggested buying a one of those "blank" dirt bike hubs from Excel or another manufacturer - and create the correct adapters for GSXR rotors. the blank hubs were between $300-$350. i decided to go with the narrow glide since i got it for $30.. but now that im looking at the final costs of the spacers, the custom wheel, etc etc. the blank hub route would have probably been slightly cheaper and resulted in a lighter front wheel...

timmysf said:
* before i got into all this.. my machinist suggested buying a one of those "blank" dirt bike hubs from Excel or another manufacturer - and create the correct adapters for GSXR rotors. the blank hubs were between $300-$350. i decided to go with the narrow glide since i got it for $30.. but now that im looking at the final costs of the spacers, the custom wheel, etc etc. the blank hub route would have probably been slightly cheaper and resulted in a lighter front wheel...

great info! this is probably the route i will go unless i figure out a good way of putting discs on the back first with a modern (gsxr) rim to match the front.

thanks for the response! cant wait to see how your bike turns out!

Another option is to use a CB450, 550, 650, 750, GL1000 front wheel and have a machinist make you one of these...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44613580@N03/8556868370/in/photostream

It is essentially a press fit spacer with a set screw/cotterpin to hold it all together...the set screw is in line with the cut-out on the bottom of the fork so it locks everything in place and cannot move laterally.

T4R said:
great info! this is probably the route i will go unless i figure out a good way of putting discs on the back first with a modern (gsxr) rim to match the front.

thanks for the response! cant wait to see how your bike turns out!

also keep in mind that a lot of this has to do with running spoked wheels. if desire the look of, or you are willing to settle for mag wheels - then your options are much more diverse.

in addition. i am also looking to run a rear disc on CB350, but as observed by many people on this forum and other forums the swingarm is already marginal enough as is, and im not going to go to the trouble of mounting a disc caliper on it.. so i'm going to "complete" this project with a drum rear, then i'll come around to the rear and look at my options for fitting a more robust swing arm along with the disc hardware.

Still kicking away on this project in the garage when I have time to spare in the evenings. I've been working out all the kinks in the wiring and putting in the clutch and throttle cables.

You can find/buy controls from a Honda CBR1000RR pretty easy. (i would imagine any modern honda, really). And the nice thing is that Honda has generally stuck to the same color scheme for their wiring for 40+ years, so stuff pretty much matches up, lol. A lot of the wiring you wont need for the CB350 but you can strip those out easy. You just need the black/white one for the kill switch side, and the turn signals + headlight controls for the other side. I'll probably do up a wiring schematic and share it.

One of the major problems I went around and around in circles on was trying to figure out how to get the headlight switch wired up. I was looking at the CB350 wiring schematic, then looking at the CBR1000RR schematic and trying to figure out where the HELL the low beam light was wired up. I spent a week and a few blown fuses on it before it finally snuck up and kicked me in the butt.

There's NO switch for the low beams... the modern bikes today have the light come on automatically when you turn on the ignition. So the low beam is just wired directly to the hot circuit. The switch on the left control just toggles power through the high-beam relay. Ohhhhhhh duh.

Well anyway- thats sorted out.

I also got the ASV shorty levers in. I opted for the bling gold ones to go with the gas tank. They integrate nicely with the GSXR perches and the front brake light switch wiring works good. Here's how things are looking right now.

proj299-apr08.jpg

timmysf said:
One of the major problems I went around and around in circles on was trying to figure out how to get the headlight switch wired up. I was looking at the CB350 wiring schematic, then looking at the CBR1000RR schematic and trying to figure out where the HELL the low beam light was wired up. There's NO switch for the low beams... the modern bikes today have the light come on automatically when you turn on the ignition. So the low beam is just wired directly to the hot circuit. The switch on the left control just toggles power through the high-beam relay. Ohhhhhhh duh.

Not quite. On modern bikes the single switch activated a 5 pin relay which switches a single input (power) across two outputs (low & high beam). The switch in the handlebars runs power to the relay to switch across the two outputs.

On my CB400F project I used R1 controls, a 5 pin relay and a custom wiring harness for the headlight switch. Headlight doesn't come on with ignition (to save battery power), its only activated when the bike is put into run.

Back
Top Bottom