'71 CB350 with GSXR front end and other improvements

what smaller battery are you going with? I just picked up a moty design battery and I absolutely love it, plus brian (im assuming an owner) Is an awesome guy, very helpful.

i bought a Shorai - lovely small light unit.

MJPriceisright said:
what smaller battery are you going with? I just picked up a moty design battery and I absolutely love it, plus brian (im assuming an owner) Is an awesome guy, very helpful.

timmysf said:
hey neevo - I need to go out and get the mounting bracket for the reservior. But on the right clip of the GSXR clip-ons, theres a screw hole where u can put in a short pan-head (M6 i think) and I believe thats where the bracket mounts on.

Do you have a pic (mount and hole in clipon)?

Cheers.

hey neevo,

i havent gotten a mount yet - thinking i may fabricate my own. But take a gander at this pic below .. you can see the panhead screw which is the mounting hole on the right clip-on.

photo-009.jpg

neevo said:
Do you have a pic (mount and hole in clipon)?

Cheers.

legendary_rider said:
Maybe a dumb question but how did you attach your seat?

I'm still sorta figuring out the mount right now, but what I did was find a elevator bolt at home depot, its like a bolt with a really big, flat head and I used some jb weld to mount it exactly where I needed it on the bottom of the pan. Dont forget to scuff up the head of the bolt and the seat pan with some good sandpaper and dremel before applying the jb weld. Also be sure to tape it down when you do! The first time I tried to set the bolt, I checked back on the bolt in a hour and found it had "slid" off about a inch because the jb weld was still sorta runny.

Good thing I didn't check back the next morning or I'd been really screwed! I repositioned it and taped it down with duct tape until it set in place (about 6 hours), then removed the duct tape and let it cure 2 days.

I drilled a hole through the cross member of the frame, and the bolt drops directly through that hole. I'm going to put in a couple rubber washers in between so that theres less vibration transmitted through the bolt and seat. Then for the rear seat part, i'll probably fashion a hook or something that goes under the rear loop.

photo-010.jpg

photo-001.jpg

I needed to figure out a way to mount the tachometer, and I decided to use the two posts that are under the top triple that are used to secure the ignition key. I bought a strip of thick aluminum bar and cut down/drilled a couple holes. This is a rough mockup for now. I'm going to go into the shop and do a better one later tonight.

I like how it looks generally. I'm going to make it a bit longer then add a slight bend to the bar so the tach will sit a bit further from the triple tree and will be at a more natural angle to the rider.

photo-008.jpg

A couple weeks ago I ordered two pairs of LED turn signals for my Triumph Street Triple. They were kinda pricey at $65 a pair but I was not disappointed at all when I got them. They're very high quality, have a good heft to them and arent cheap looking/feeling at all. I started thinking about how they might look really good on the Honda, so I went ahead and drilled two mounts for them on the rear end of the bike, and I am really happy with how they look on the bike.

It means I'll have to order yet another pair for my Triumph but ah well!

photo-002.jpg

photo-003.jpg

And this is the bike.. as of tonight. Getting there.......... :p

I'm going to need to fashion some sort of decorative plate or sumthing to fill in the gap between the seat and the gas tank.

photo-005.jpg

Been working on finishing up the various odds n ends. Hoping to truck it out to the local college parking lot for some shakedowns on Friday. But I couldn't help but want to push it out of the garage and into the summer sun for the first time in over two years of sitting in my garage.

And damn, I say.. it looks even better outside on a curbside!

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

Nice work and great write up....

im currently working on my 550 w an 06 gsxr front end. I may have over looked or missed it but did you use the stock front hub and machine it to accept the 1" gsxr axle?

Tews19 said:
Nice work and great write up....

im currently working on my 550 w an 06 gsxr front end. I may have over looked or missed it but did you use the stock front hub and machine it to accept the 1" gsxr axle?

hey - i had a hub from a harley nightster along with some custom adapters and spacers. but in hindsight, i probably will take another approach. i know theres a guy here (check one of the CB + GSXR threads) who got a shop to machine custom hubs that will let you bolt GSXR rotors directly. i think he's selling them at $300 a pop which is pretty economical if you consider the overall cost of building out the wheel. i'd prob look pretty hard at that one for my next build.

Sweet! I will look for that as I have read a few threads on that. Any idea of the SN of the person?

I kickstarted the bike today. It fired right up but was blasting out a really rich exhaust for a good while before it sputtered and died. Then it wouldn't start at all and the lights on the bike were completely out. The multimeter indicated 12.2V at the battery posts.. pretty low.

I charged up the battery again and gave it another go, keeping the RPMs high and saw a pretty good voltage (dont remember exact number) so I think the charging system is working but its just not able to keep up when at idle.

Swapped out the pilot jets for a smaller one and kicked it over again - ran a lot better but once I blipped the throttle to 6000 rpm the lights went out and the battery gave out.. could not kick start it again.

Ive been probing stuff with the multimeter.. looks like the voltage drop across the wiring is pretty horrible and the coils are sucking up all the available power which might explain why the lights went out at 6000rpm.

So I'm going to head to the auto parts store tomorrow and pick up a relay and inline fuse. I'll wire directly from the battery to the coils with power from the kill switch triggering the relay. I'm hoping that'll give me better power to the coils for high RPMs.

Anyone here have experience running the Pamco, Dyna coils (5 ohms) and ricks stator? Is the existing CB350 harness wiring just not up to snuff for all this?

Love this build! On my cb I used Dyna 3 ohm coils, it does have a custom harness although using the stock wire gauge. I don't know if it helps but I have no problems with power output. Even using a dying battery right now that barely lights the headlight the bike fires on the first kick and runs fine. The headlight flashes at idle when the coils fire until it charges a little but this is using the stock stator. Also I have had problems at high rpm with wires coming loose from the vibrations so maybe make sure all your grounds are tight and harness secure. A battery really should not discharge that fast even if it was not charging at all so that is kind of strange too. I might have missed it but are you using the stock regulator rectifier?

Sounds like you have a similar problem I had on a cb750. After swapping out the tired rectifier with a new one. The changing system was able to keep up and bike ran smoother at idle and higher rmps.

Back
Top Bottom