DIY l.e.d. taillight in seat hoop???

Bryan750

Hey everyone new to the forum so bear with me , I'm building my first bike (82 gs750)
And I'm going with a cafe/brat look for it and I'm thinking about how I want to set up my seat and tail lights.

I found this awesome seat hoop with a cut out / cubby for an led strip sold by cognitomoto
IMG_8251.JPG

What I don't like is the price tag on it (300) . I can source my own hoop and I've been thinking of adding the cubby for the led strip, but I'm not exactly sure how would be the best or easiest way on doing it ....

My question is Does any one have a DIY on modifying the hoop to support an led strip or does anyone have a source for hoops with inserts for the led strip (8.5" center to center)
Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Flexible-32-LED-Motorcycle-ATV-Tail-Brake-Stop-Turn-Signal-Strip-Light-/301781120866?hash=item46438e7762:g:rQcAAOSwT5tWHcj0&vxp=mtr

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Signal-Brake-License-Integrated/dp/B00OB5QHC0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455432080&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+led+brake+strips

http://www.radiantz.com/category-s/876.htm

Thanks I've seen these and I'm thinking if I can't figure a way to lay it flush in the seat hoop I'll just stick it on there

I'm assuming that is just a slot cut in the hoop as a reveal for the brake light. I would imagine that with steady hands you could do this yourself with an angle grinder and cutting wheel.

Well I think it's alittle more than that being that the hoop is hollow and about 1" thick here's a detailed pic of the hoop
IMG_7808.JPG

The problem I see with this idea is the slot in the hoop becomes a water collector for the complete frame. These old bikes have drain holes at the lowest points for water that collects because the joints are spot welded and seam welded so water will get in, but I really don't think they were designed to survive a torrent of water running through the frame as would happen if you rode in the rain or travelled through the occaisional puddle with an open gash in the hoop. :eek:

I am considering bending a 1/2" x 1/8" flat bar to the same shape of the hoop and tacking (the backside to the hoop with TIG welds) it to the underside of the hoop to which I could apply the same flex LED strip too. You could drill three small 1/8" holes at the point where the flat bar meets the hoop in three spots, one end the center and the opposite end through which you could place small black zip ties to assist holding the LED strip incase the adhesive let go. 8)

led-Model.jpg

Maybe this explains things more clearly.

I agree with cqyqte about the potential moisture problem, but that may be solved with silicone sealant. I see the biggest challenge being fitting the light in the slot. I've been considering the same project but could not find the LED strip that is the right shape to sit in the slot correctly. I decided to put the strip just below the hoop (similar to what cqyqte suggested). The strip has yet to arrive (from China).

I look forward to seeing more on your GS. Here's a pic of my GS1100.

AE23E923-A600-4D6B-ABF4-673CC709BB00.jpg

Awesome ideas guys I love the ingenuity, the smallest led strip with turn signals i was able to find is about 8" which would wrap around almost all of the rear of the hoop (which I don't mind) but I would imagine it would be more difficult to get that same shape of the hoop from the lower piece

But I like your idea cqyqte, I think itll hold the led strip and it will look clean

Bryan750 said:
Well I think it's alittle more than that being that the hoop is hollow and about 1" thick here's a detailed pic of the hoop
IMG_7808.JPG

Much better pic showing what's going on. Definitely some nice fab work there.

I attached mine to the tail with a thin strip of aluminum sheet and double sided tape.

If I were to do what you want, and you don't have the frame end welded to the frame yet, then I would cut it out with a angle grinder and Drexel, then snake a wire from one end out to the slot.

Then use packing tape to close off the slot hole, I would find something that was liquid, but sets up hard to fill the frame. Something like a hard rubber or very dense foam. You can then hog out the slot to the depth needed with the Drexel and then attach with epoxy or silicon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry,
First time using the Tapatalk app and it looks like the spell check autocorrected it. Yes dremel.

I did something similar to what you were thinking. I bought a cheap combo LED strip and made little tabs out of 20ga sheet to bend around the led and hold it in place. It is pretty ghetto but it works for now. I would like to figure out a better way to mount the strip in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 581
Back
Top Bottom