Pin Hole Possibility After Stud Gun Dent Pull

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
I recently had a GSF400 tank painted and dropped some coin on it because I plan on keeping the bike. It was an eBay tank, and the inside is fantastic. No rust. I'd run it without a sealer without losing a wink of sleep. The one problem with it was a decent 3" crease on the right side.

Problem is, my painter informed me today when I picked up the tank that he used a stun gun to pull the dent. First I didn't think anything about it, because the tank is SWEET and you can't tell the crease was ever there. He really did a great job.

But now I'm concerned. How probable is it that a stud broke the integrity of the tank wall (like a pin hole) which would leak through and ruin my paint where he welded the stud? He said he didn't "feel any pull through" but you never know until you fill the tank up.

Question is, how likely is it that something like that would happen? And secondarily, if it was your tank and you knew you were going to keep it, would you seal it anyway?

I hate to seal a tank that doesn't need it, and I'd hate to see that fresh paint bubble after I fill it up if there's a pin hole....

I don't know much about body work, so I'd appreciate some feedback.

Tank before:

Tank after:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're probably worrying over nothing, but if you can get a hold of a bore scope have a look on the inside of the tank to see if the wall is intact.

hillsy said:
You're probably worrying over nothing, but if you can get a hold of a bore scope have a look on the inside of the tank to see if the wall is intact.

I probably am, but the bore scope idea is a good one. Thanks

If he knows how to use a stud gun correctly it'll be fine. It's common practice, and the only good way to metal work the tank. The other option was to cave the crease and fill it.

DohcBikes said:
If he knows how to use a stud gun correctly it'll be fine. It's common practice, and the only good way to metal work the tank. The other option was to cave the crease and fill it.

Thanks, I was hoping the consensus was to just run it. He seems to be very skilled, he just made this comment when I asked him about it that put a seed of doubt in my mind: "I welded five or six studs to pull the dent but I did not get the impression any of them pulled loose. To be on the safe side though I would steal it for sure."

You can take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it. Honestly should have been tested before paint.

I've done loads of repairs using a stud gun and dent puller. Very, very unlikely to have caused a problem and your guy would have most likely welded the tank if a stud tore off.

Really have to pull a stud for it to tear and I doubt he would have needed that much pressure to pull that dent out.

your worrying over nothing I would say.

Thanks guys. Pretty much the "it SHOULD be fine" comments made me not sleep at night :)

I decided to seal it. I used Caswell sealer and for those looking for a tank sealer, this is the one to use. A $60 kit can be used for two tanks, and it couldn't be easier. Adding .5 ounces of Xylene to the mix, per instructions, thins it a tad, certainly enough to ensure good coverages. This product is so clean that it doesn't make me feel bad to seal a tank. My biggest concern was trying to seal a tank that didn't need it, then make a mistake. It's hard to make a mistake with this stuff.

Great product. Thanks for your insight guys. I guess this turned into a product review...

DohcBikes said:
why do people even ask

Ironically, you're the one who pushed me to seal it with your "should have pressure tested it" comment. If you never commented I would have run it as is.

If you never would have commented, I'd have listened to everyone else. So if you want to piont fingers, point it in the mirror. I only needed one person to provide a shred out doubt that it could have pulled through, and you effectively gave me that 1% chance.

So despite your smart assery, you helped me. Thanks.

Should have pressure tested it.

Should put sealer in the tank.

Those two sentences don't look remotely similar but ok.

Glad YOU made a decision.

What matters is that I'm off and running, regardless of how I got there. But I got there weighing you guys' feedback. I'm not getting in a pissing match with you. When you respond to this post, because you always do, I'll let you have the last word.

1sttimer said:
What matters is that I'm off and running, regardless of how I got there. But I got there weighing you guys' feedback. I'm not getting in a pissing match with you. When you respond to this post, because you always do, I'll let you have the last word.

I wouldnt have pressure tested the tank after pulling out a dent like that, unless I'd pulled with so much force that I'd torn the stud out.

Even then, I'd have maybe tested it by filling the tank with hot water, but very unlikely to bother pressure testing a fuel tank.

Back
Top Bottom