rear fender mounting

vandito.cb

Been Around the Block
what are you people using to mount any rear fenders other than your stock one? i have my eyes on one of those raw steel universal ones to cut and slap on, but without my stock mounting points, i'm lost.

is drilling into the shock gusset (reasonably far away from the shock bolt) a structurally safe idea?

also curious how fiberglass as a rear fender would hold up with the extra stress of having a tail light mounted on it. i've read f/g has a tendency to crack as well as requires metal support, i'm assuming internally.

TIA.

Attachments

• B04.jpg
    B04.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 401
I like it, but it doesn't look like an easy fit.
I was considering so
Ethnic similar, but I ended up making an extended bracket for the light and number plate instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex jb said:
I like it, but it doesn't look like an easy fit.
I was considering so
Ethnic similar, but I ended up making an extended bracket for the light and number plate instead.

do you have any pics?
i'm wondering if anyone's maybe welded a bar that goes from each side of the subframe and used that to bolt it down, but i'm not sure if that's enough to support it.

I've built brackets and drilled and taps holes into the rear hoop to mount some ive done on my scrambler builds

innovativems said:
I've built brackets and drilled and taps holes into the rear hoop to mount some ive done on my scrambler builds

any pics?

coyote13 said:
Why not just weld a few tabs to your frame?

that's something along the lines of what i'm thinking. I want to get a feel for what looks the cleanest, doesn't get in the way of anything as well as holds up well.

Tabs on frame. I never drill holes through tubes, though mostly it's only bad practice in general and you can make a swiss cheese out of a rear hoop with nothing to worry about if it isn't a structural element which is rarely is. Fiberglass in general does not need any sort of reinforcement structurally if designed well, though mounting points can need local reinforcement for fasteners. Sometimes rubber isolation grommets are the ticket if your part is very thin and can not withstand the clamping pressure of fasteners. For light duty, nylon nuts, bolts and washers can solve this problem. I build lots of parts out of composites - even engine components - you can do a lot if you understand the materials properties - strengths and weaknesses, which of course is a pretty massive subject. You would design the same part totally differently from say steel instead of aluminum, but the good news is that composites like fiberglass are pretty user intuitive friendly - if it looks like it will work and you can physically make it, it will likely be just fine. Additionally, if the part you make seems too frail, it is usually simply a matter of just beefing it up with some more layers if the task it has to do is not too complex. I fender would be in the simple part category for most applications.

Back
Top Bottom