'74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - Workin' out the kinks

trek97 said:
swap the gauges from carb to carb. that will tell you if the discrepancy lies in the carbs or gauges.

I use a single gauge on the twins so there's no question about gauges being off. I use a standard 2 to 1 splitter with shutoff valves to alternate between carbs when syncing

I'm mostly confused as to why the idle speed screw only slows the idle down to about 1,600-1800. The throttle itself is backed off all the way, cables aren't engaging it. I've been able to bring the idle down to ~800 and essentially stall the engine with that in the past.

Air leak at the carb boot to cylinder head. Tightening the bolts won't help. Take them off and use a thin layer of yamabond.

I've checked for vac leaks all around there w/WD-40.

I'll double check.

redwillissuperman said:
Air leak at the carb boot to cylinder head. Tightening the bolts won't help. Take them off and use a thin layer of yamabond.
I have the CJ and I have an o-ring at the boot that I replaced.

The boots on the 360 have paper gaskets between the head and boot. I've had no issues thus far, not sure how that would change now. Boots are in good shape.

Back from the dead! After a long winter, riding season is back around up here in the Northeast. After going to MotoGP a few weekends ago in Austin, it was time to get back to work on the old girl. The carbs went out to PJ in December for him to work his magic on, when he discovered a damaged throttle plate and pinhole in one of the rubber diaphragms, among other things. Now that the carbs are back on the bike and everything's adjusted just right, time to hit some twisties!

Had her out today for about a 50 mile run and first time on the highway. She holds her own on the highway with the front sprocket conversion, cruising comfortably at 65-70. Clutch 'pops' into gear a bit early, so that will need some adjustment. Definitely need some lighter weight oil in the front sprockets. Not sure what I put in there off the top of my head, got a few bottles lying around in the shop, but they're stiff as a board right now. Definitely need some new foam in the seat cushion, feels like I'm sitting on straight up fiberglass after an hour in the saddle. Other than that, she's an absolute blast to ride. Pulls nice and strong through all the gears, and I'm hereby calling this build FINISHED. 8)

A couple of crappy iPhone driveway shots after today's ride:

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 410
  • IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 416
  • IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 398

Here's one of the last bits I fabbed for this build. Based on trek's design for the carb support bracket that bolts onto the engine mount, I modeled + 3D printed a spacer that slides over the top of said bracket, and fits tightly onto the carb body. I had originally been using a piece of rubber but it seemed to keep falling out if I hit a good bump or I'd lose it while pulling the carbs. If any of you guys are using the same setup and are interested in one of these spacers send me a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_4116.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_4117.jpg
    IMG_4117.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4120.jpg
    IMG_4120.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 353

Congrats on getting it all dialled in, it's a hell of a nice build. The colour scheme & all your fab work really is the tits!

Bootsey said:
Congrats on getting it all dialled in, it's a hell of a nice build. The colour scheme & all your fab work really is the tits!

Thank you sir! Been one hell of a learning experience. Hopefully get some real glamour shots up this weekend.

Looking great!

I'm interested to do something similar exhaust wise.

Did you fabricate that or use stock components to achieve the 2-1 system

Steve

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Thanks guys. Feels good to see her come together finally.

Sderbyshire said:
Did you fabricate that or use stock components to achieve the 2-1 system

I fabricated it. I used collars from the stock headers and a kit of pre-bent pipe since I don't have a pipe bender. There's a few pages on it if you scroll through the thread.

Great job!

I just went through the build page by page and you did an amazing job.

Props to the self fabrication!

I know you've seen my page on my 1971 Cl175 k5 Scrambler, so keep your opinions coming! Hell of a job!

MississippiNative said:
Great job!

I just went through the build page by page and you did an amazing job.

Props to the self fabrication!

I know you've seen my page on my 1971 Cl175 k5 Scrambler, so keep your opinions coming! Hell of a job!

Thanks mate, will do.

In other news, I've gotten about 150 miles on her since she's been running well. Replaced the master cylinder with a "Grimeca" with a 12.7mm bore off ebay to get a better angle on the front brake lever. Much more tolerable on extended rides and has a bit more range of motion on the lever.

a13dad5531e2e4a7fa4baa11af72e067.jpg

Hoping to get the front forks off this week. I never rebuilt them during the original build, only changed the fluid, so I will be disassembling them, cleaning and checking the specs of the innards when I get the chance. They are unbelievably stiff at the moment and I'm only getting about 1-1.5" of travel which makes for quite the stiff ride. I will be changing to a lighter weight fork oil as well to get some more help from the front end. I'm a relatively light dude at about 6'1 160lb so I'll be researching and experimenting with oil weights to get the most comfortable ride.

Will (most likely) be sourcing a new aluminum front rim, as the one on there now has a good sized dent in it (probably from being hopped up a curb) and its real noticeable from 35-45mph, smooths out below and above that. Since I do a lot of back road riding in that speed range, it seems sensible to bite the bullet and grab a new rim.

Been working up a mockup of a "dash," which will house my lighting switches as well as a mini voltmeter I picked up from amazon. Should flow nicer than the boxy one I've got there now, as I've mirrored the radius of the speedo. Have some test prints done but haven't sent a full scale prototype to the 3d printer. Depending on how it turns out I will either be painting and using the plastic, or fabricating one out of aluminum. A quick rendering of the dash from a few days ago (the letters will no longer be extruded, I'll probably cut some decals instead).

Attachments

• dashv1.png
    dashv1.png
    880.9 KB · Views: 311
Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

I'd like to thank a coupla fellas for the BOTM nomination, I'm honored and quite frankly never expected it.

Been so distracted with work and other motorcycles, I've just been riding old Luna here, but I finally got around to adding some of the detail work I've been meaning to put in. I designed a little "logo" or symbol for the old girl, an constellation map abstracted from the form of a female dancing, posing, or whatever you see. Picked out the closest matching gold vinyl I could find, sent them through the cutter and stuck em on. I quite like it.

7d3a15d2a32a17995bee93bcb11840c7.jpg

a278df6ae8bfb928f563da8be4b05f19.jpg

Other boring stuff, touch up, polishing, got a buddy coming down to get some real photos tomorrow so hopefully the sun's out.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Really love the Luna name and constellation you made up. So cool... I like those little unique touches; I think it gives your bike something extra beyond just good looks, like personality or something. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom