KZ 400 Kawakazi Almost Finished!!!

veaone

Been Around the Block
I recently picked up a 1978 Kawasaki KZ400 in a pretty good condition. Almost stripped the whole thing down other day. I recently became a big fan of DTT and got really inspired by the work all of you guys do, and hope i can get some help along the way with my build.
IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

KZ 400 Kawakazi Build

First thing i need to do is to clean up the engine. I have ordered a gasket set for around $50 and originally was planing on taking the engine apart. Now i think i just might take off the top end and clean that up. Do you think if i should even do that or just paint the engine and put it back on? Also i have a pair of Keihin VB32 Carbs that have been rebuild. Most likely i will need to rejet, but the problem is the jets for this carbs are nowhere to be found. It has a Main, Secondary and Pilot Jet. Would you know where i can find this jets?

Re: KZ 400 Project Build

Looks like a pretty clean bike your starting with man, what plans do you have for it?

KZ 400 Kawakazi Build

Shermanator86 said:
Looks like a pretty clean bike your starting with man, what plans do you have for it?
Thanks! I first was a bit hesitant to tare down such a nice survivor, but i am hoping it will look even better in the future. Currently i plan to tighten up the rear end, put some knobby tires, low profile bars and paint bunch of things. I havent figured it out completely yet, just gonna take it one day at a time and see what looks good.

KZ 400 Kawakazi Build

Started some work on the engine last night. Everything looked pretty good inside. Gonna blast it, paint it and put it back together. I am wondering if you should replace piston rings and valves?
IMG_1808.JPG

KZ 400 Kawakazi Build

Slowly moving with my build. Picked up the rubbers and grinned my frame other day. Also build a stand. I am slowly starting to realize how hard it is to do some things. Anyone know the best way to remove engine gaskets? I have been soaking and scrubbing them with all kinds of stuff, doesn't want to come off easy.
IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

Re: KZ 400 Project Build

Dang, that bike looked almost too nice to cut up for a project. I hope you have plans to finish it nicely. Love the knobbies, BTW.

Knobbies are the new Firestones. :)

..both of which I love the look of.

Re: KZ 400 Kawakazi Build

A good razer blade and a steady hand do well on gasket removing, you can always buy a gasket scraper, or just use a putty knife. It just takes a little patience and some elbow grease. Looks like you're working in a dungeon, but I like it seems rather peaceful.

Yamatech said:
A good razer blade and a steady hand do well on gasket removing, you can always buy a gasket scraper, or just use a putty knife. It just takes a little patience and some elbow grease. Looks like you're working in a dungeon, but I like it seems rather peaceful.
Thanks! I actually did exactly what you said. Took my time with the putty knife and some aircraft stripper and it's looking good. The garage i am renting is very tiny, but i am making the best of it :)

Got a chance to strip down the frame and the tank and mocked up a battery box. Also painted the rims, next is lacing and truing. I got a feeling it's not gonna be easy.
photo%201.JPG

Looking good man. Lacing wheels isn't too hard once you get a little practice but it does take time. I found YouTube to be very helpful when I did mine.

Slowly moving along. Wheels been powder coated and i got them laced, trued and rubbers installed. I never thought that putting tires on with tire irons would be such a hard thing to do, so glad its done though. Next is to weld the battery box and fit the fenders. Unfortunately my grinder died after only a month of use.
IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

Wow, can't believe you can fit that monster of a tire in the back! haha. Love KZ's keep up the good work. Enjoying this so far... 8)

That thing looks great, funny I found this stream tonight, I just got my 76 back together. Did not go as far as you are going on this build just a light restoration, and knobbys, yes please.
FBC366C9-4EE6-41D6-8A04-7CE2ECC15DB2-3597-000003D71810F5E1.jpg

Autotek said:
That thing looks great, funny I found this stream tonight, I just got my 76 back together. Did not go as far as you are going on this build just a light restoration, and knobbys, yes please.
Looks really nice and clean. I am ways behind to be anywhere close to it looking like that ; )

MotorbikeBruno said:
Wow, can't believe you can fit that monster of a tire in the back! haha. Love KZ's keep up the good work. Enjoying this so far...
Thanks. The rear is 4.5 and the front is 4.0. Rear tire still has a bit of clearance to.

The chain will clear no problem, it is the chain guard that will not clear. This is my rear with a 4.0
FF774F05-A0FF-4B0C-A092-EDAC1DD25DCD-5484-000005A2A14224C6.jpg

KZ 400 Kawakazi Build

Autotek said:
FBC366C9-4EE6-41D6-8A04-7CE2ECC15DB2-3597-000003D71810F5E1.jpg

Is that a tanning bed?

Back
Top Bottom