Honda CGL 125 Mexican Build

crqcycles

Not a lot of cafe's down here in Mexico...
Hi everyone! This is my first post over here and I'll make it short.
Last month I bought a 12' Honda CGL 125. Sounds weird right? Well, basically it has a 70's CB125 frame with more modern CG125 parts. Its a really cool bike considering it costs $1150 dlls completely new.
I'm turning her into a cafe racer and I would like to show you a little bit about the project.
I also have some questions involving jet sizes and possible failure if I remove/cut the baffles. If you are willing to help I'm going to really appreciate it.
They say an image is worth a thousand words so......
Cheers frome Mexico!
Juan Fco.

P.s. PLEASE GIVE SOME ADVICE, TIPS AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Attachments

• DSC03165.JPG
    DSC03165.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17,760
That is a cool bike. It will be nice working on a clean platform that isn't already rusty and pitted. Looks like it will be a fun ride.

man already look super cool. It must be nice to have a bike where you don't have to rebuild the entire thing. Source parts and or spend the cost of the bike just to get it fired up. Nice rig. I'm building my Cb125, it's called MaS Riding Dirty. I don't think mine will be of any help since I have no clue what I am doing but it's coming along non the less.

Keep up the good work.

Bienvenido al sitio, Juan!

It looks like you're off to a pretty good start. Do you have plans to change out the mirrors?

With such a small bike, your best shot at good performance will be to lighten it as much as possible. Trim as much weight as you can without sacrificing the stability or handling of the bike.

mr95gst said:
That is a cool bike. It will be nice working on a clean platform that isn't already rusty and pitted. Looks like it will be a fun ride.

It is a fun little ride! Pretty fast for the size too! Working with a new platform is basically trouble-free but I think you don't fall in love that much with your machine!

tete said:
man already look super cool. It must be nice to have a bike where you don't have to rebuild the entire thing. Source parts and or spend the cost of the bike just to get it fired up. Nice rig. I'm building my Cb125, it's called MaS Riding Dirty. I don't think mine will be of any help since I have no clue what I am doing but it's coming along non the less.

Keep up the good work.

Pretty good that red bike of yours! I would definitely use the stripe pattern on the seat which, by the way, looks awesome!
Nice to see I'm not the only one dealing with small displacement bikes.
Thanks for the support and keep up the good work too!

Sonreir said:
Bienvenido al sitio, Juan!

It looks like you're off to a pretty good start. Do you have plans to change out the mirrors?

With such a small bike, your best shot at good performance will be to lighten it as much as possible. Trim as much weight as you can without sacrificing the stability or handling of the bike.

Gracias por los buenos recibimientos!

I will definitely change the mirrors! It looks pretty damn good without them, but riding with mirrors in a country were no one respects the bikers is kind of difficult!
I have removed about 10 kgs of weight (somewhere in the 22 pound range) and it really feels faster and corners pretty well!

I would like to port and polish the intake/exhaust ports, but I do not really know if I will! Maybe the difference in performance would not be significant!

Which bike do you ride?

Once I saw this I immediately got jealous that you can get a brand new Honda 125! Great looking bike - excited to see what you have planned for her.

bojica said:
Once I saw this I immediately got jealous that you can get a brand new Honda 125! Great looking bike - excited to see what you have planned for her.

What's more exciting is the price of this bikes! Take a look at http://www.honda.mx/motos/motos-de-trabajo/. You actually have 125cc and 150cc bikes to choose! Both of them sharing parts with older cb's and cg's 125!!!

I started today to cover the seat mold with fiberglass. I made a complete mess! I believe the weather didn't help either...Any tips?

SEAT FIBERGLASSING

The fiberglass didn't dry until yesterday. Ready for a second coat.
Also, making some kind of ram air intake. Pics later!

Attachments

• DSC03334.jpg
    DSC03334.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC03335.JPG
    DSC03335.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC03336.JPG
    DSC03336.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC03339.JPG
    DSC03339.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 445
This is what I am trying because I don't think rejetting solves the problem I have been having. I don't know why the mixture is completely rich with the high flow filter. It should be on the leaner side right? I am running a 102 main jet. Any suggestions? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC03346.JPG
    DSC03346.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 2,525
  • DSC03347.JPG
    DSC03347.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC03349.JPG
    DSC03349.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 498
tete said:
Did you try putting it back to stock? See if that resolves it?

It does work with the stock airbox. I just don´t want to keep it; its pretty heavy and takes a lot of space

It is normal to have to lean these CG's out when you go high flow. Don't know why, it's just what everyone finds.
Try leaning the mixture on the needle first. Worked on mine.
The single best performance upgrade for these is go out to 150cc.
Don't fuck with the exhaust ......... it needs back pressure and a small bore to keep up the exhaust gas velocity.
Your bike looks great :)

Erskine said:
It is normal to have to lean these CG's out when you go high flow. Don't know why, it's just what everyone finds.
Try leaning the mixture on the needle first. Worked on mine.
The single best performance upgrade for these is go out to 150cc.
Don't fuck with the exhaust ......... it needs back pressure and a small bore to keep up the exhaust gas velocity.
Your bike looks great :)

I used a radiator hose which connects the carb to the stock foam filter. It looks ok and works extremely fine! It tops at around 75 mph which I believe is great for a 125.
Thanks bro! i'm doing what I can with limited resources and time!

More pice of the fiberglass seat this weekend.

jdub said:
Cool bike. Does the stock airbox have a velocity stack?

It has a rubber hose which connects to a foam filter inside of a plastic box. But a velocity stack? I do not think so!

Nice work you've done there. What material did you use for the seat ?

And after you just put the fabric on top of it to dry?

Back
Top Bottom