The Dirty Swamp Rat '78 CB550k

smajure

est superbia: mens interfectorem
DTT BOTM WINNER
Well, here goes. I have to start somewhere.
Picked this gem up in Texas last week and it runs well. It appears the valve cover gasket has a bit of a leak but ill address that soon enough. I still have to learn what a valve is.... (Brad/Justin/Redbird) insert banter....

It came with no front caliper so I guess thats where I will start. the PO had something interesting going on with the rear brake so it wont engage fully either. The rear of the frame was already chopped so some reinforcement is due, probably a cafe loop. The tank that is on it is a NOS rust free 360 tank, luckily I was looking for one of those. Alas, It does not line up with the frame.
I am going to go with a tank from Sean at Roc city. I don't have the skills for that kind of fab work. the seat on the other hand will be, since they are so abundant down here in NOLA, made from nutria pelts. MUWAHAHAHA!!!

Attachments

• utf-8BSU1BRzAwODIuanBn-2.jpg
    utf-8BSU1BRzAwODIuanBn-2.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC00702.JPG
    DSC00702.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 434
Yup... added clubmans. It's officially a Cafe Racer now :p
Of course, it stopped running too. But atleast it has brakes again :)

u3atuva5.jpg

Got the right size tank in the other day so I can work on seat fabrication. The front caliper should arrive today. Cant wait. Now to hide the electronics and get a smaller battery. I wonder if i need bigger than a 4 cell ballistic battery.

S Majure said:
u3atuva5.jpg

Got the right size tank in the other day so I can work on seat fabrication. The front caliper should arrive today. Cant wait. Now to hide the electronics and get a smaller battery. I wonder if i need bigger than a 4 cell ballistic battery.
kool rope is that a attached to the 550cc. boat anchor :) :D ;D

you should send me that tank and ill make it kool

bradj said:

you should send me that tank and ill make it kool
I plan on it. Let me get my seat measurements 1st then its on its way.

bradj said:

The cable attached to the boat anchor keeps people from walking away with my carport :p

The Rat will Fly again BIOTCHES!!
Oh, and the new caliper didn't fit so I am looking into a full front end swap now. Maybe a CBR1100RR front end.

Unless you absolutely want to go modern, check into DOHC CB750/900F's. Iirc, they run the same fork diameter, but will have dual disc legs. That would be a direct swap into your triples.

Well I finally have somewhere to work besides my coffee table so I stripped the carb bank down to nothing to clean them up. I did find some missing o-rings that need to be replaced.
Why I wanted a 4 Banger I'll never know. Maybe its the challenge? RD's seem so much easier.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355190107323.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355190107323.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 341
Well well.. Lookie what the cat dragged in. 4 carbs better than 2! The more the merrier!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hey Mike!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355236567667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355236567667.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 974
I got your swing arm done cock face

Attachments

• 2012-12-14 21.18.38.jpg
    2012-12-14 21.18.38.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 803
Back