My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Got started welding up the ally tail and seat unit.

Attachments

• tail bike.JPG
    tail bike.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 217

Here's where I'm at right now. Got the seat/tail section finished just have to buy the dzus fasteners and make the mounting brackets. I will be just using seat foam glued right to the unit so that will be easy. Next I think I will make the new oil tank that will go under the seat cowl. I made all the spacers for the rear wheel and now I am ready weld the rear caliper locator on the swing arm.

Attachments

• prog 27mar.JPG
    prog 27mar.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 236

Had to modify the swingarm because I had a bit more chain rub than I had calculated. I'll be installing a wearstrip inside the channel that I formed. Here are the pics of the surgery!

Attachments

• sam2.JPG
    sam2.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 224
  • sam1.JPG
    sam1.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 219
  • sa2.JPG
    sa2.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 234
  • sa1.JPG
    sa1.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 217

John what is the angle of your swingarm installed? Did you make your new channel to accept a chain slider is that what you're calling a wear strip? Your body work look's the business BTW, great job.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
John what is the angle of your swingarm installed? Did you make your new channel to accept a chain slider is that what you're calling a wear strip? Your body work look's the business BTW, great job.
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks. The swingarm angle is 10.5* which gives me right around 24* of rake on the forks. I can adjust the ride height which would change both of those angles. Yes a KTM chain slider (wear strip) will be used. I was thinking I would be using a larger rear sprocket which would have offered a bit more clearance on the swingarm but I was restricted to using only a 16t on the front so had to size down the rear accordingly.

johnu said:
Thanks. The swingarm angle is 10.5* which gives me right around 24* of rake on the forks. I can adjust the ride height which would change both of those angles. Yes a KTM chain slider (wear strip) will be used. I was thinking I would be using a larger rear sprocket which would have offered a bit more clearance on the swingarm but I was restricted to using only a 16t on the front so had to size down the rear accordingly.

I re-checked the angles and the s/a is at 12* and forks 24*.

Well I have been working on the bike but progress is very slow. I have never liked the bottom shock mounting that I originally made and installed so I came up with another solution and mounted that. If I was doing the build over I would have just fabricated my own round tubular swingarm.... maybe that can come later! I also have the seat/tail mounted use Dzus fasteners. I was planning to just use 1/2" black seat foam glued to the seat base but now I have sat on the bike with the seat mounted I can't believe how low it is! I'm not sure what I'll do about that yet. I will probably start working on the tank again now.

Attachments

• shock mtg.JPG
    shock mtg.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 197
  • seat 1.JPG
    seat 1.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 205
  • seat 2.JPG
    seat 2.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 208

As a KTM rider i can enjoy seeing that set up ! What made you change your mind just didnt like the set up ? Bike is looking really trick man !

John, A casual thought, you might give a second look (sometime in the future) at the linked relay type of S/A. It's simple really and puts the weight low and out of sight. (mostly) also out the the way of the carburetors and such.
Cheers, 50gary

DreadRock said:
As a KTM rider i can enjoy seeing that set up ! What made you change your mind just didnt like the set up ? Bike is looking really trick man !

KTM's rule!!

It doesn't flow with the frame well enough.

50gary said:
John, A casual thought, you might give a second look (sometime in the future) at the linked relay type of S/A. It's simple really and puts the weight low and out of sight. (mostly) also out the the way of the carburetors and such.
Cheers, 50gary

Are you talking about having the shock mounted below the s/a kind of parallel to the bottom of the arm?

I would have built something in round tube and sheet metal based on the Aprillia arm below.

Attachments

• Ap sa.jpg
    Ap sa.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 201

Yes, like most modern bikes. A tube version of that Aprillia S/A would be too cool. Buy just the linkage and shock from a 2010+ Sportbike and use the shock and linkage in virtually the same geometry as on the donor and your tube swinger, done deal. You might have to re-spring it to your bike's weight but that's not a problem. My latest project is a 2002 YZ250 S/A on a '73 RT360 chassis conversion. Track bike.
Cheers, 50gary

Gary, I thought you meant an underslung shock. I wanted to go with no linkage suspension just to keep things simple but I may consider a linkage setup later on as there is a much wider selection of shocks (high quality) available. The shock I am using which is off the Kawi Ninja 650 is pretty low end.

Back
Top Bottom