My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (exhausting!)

And the 2nd down pipe welded.

Attachments

• dps.JPG
    dps.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 212

Nice work on the gas welding, I'm a big fan of doing it old school.

oldskool said:
Nice work on the gas welding, I'm a big fan of doing it old school.

Haha, yes I imagine you are! Gas and mig are all I have available to me at the moment so it's mig for tacking and gas for welding.

Got the header sections cut out, got to buy myself a small slip roll now.

Attachments

• h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 257

How do you come up with the template for the sheet metal? Is it a program?

ffjmoore said:
How do you come up with the template for the sheet metal? Is it a program?

Well you can get software to develop the cones out, I tried downloading some free cone development software last week and it messed up my computer! So I just developed the cones out old school style using the radial line method but I did do it in autocad not on the drawing board.

John, I have a simple question. Do you plan to tac weld the entire chamber to fit it to the bike and then finish weld it? I have a single expansion chamber coming up and I want to tac it to fit the routing and then carefully mark the segments and cut the tac(s) apart. Lastly, weld each segment and as I go grinding smooth the inside of the welded seam then weld on the next segment until the end. I will also ceramic coat the inside as well as the outside. I think the coating for heat retention is even more beneficial in two strokes vs. four stroke systems. Am I being too anal?
Cheers, 50gary

Gary, no I won't be tacking the entire pipe together then welding it. If you do it that way there is a good chance that with distortion the pipe won't fit when the welding is finished. I plan to build the pipe in 4 sections then weld them and they can be dressed easily as it is still possible to fit them over a dolly. Then I'll tack and weld the 4 sections together.

I don't really have much insight regarding the ceramic coating, Teazer would most likely know about it though.

My Suzi T500 Project (exhausting!)

If it creates a hotter pipe, it effectively shortens the tuned length.

Thanks, I've never built a two stroke pipe before.
Cheers, 50gary

Ok I got all of the sheet metal cut out today for both pipes using tin snips. It went pretty well, a little bit of filing after cutting they are really close to the templates.

Attachments

• fl c.JPG
    fl c.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 231

Ugh, I would love to weld those up with my new airline torch... looks like a fun project... nice job cutting out the sheet... good thinking on welding them up as sub assemblies.

LaynDoor said:
Ugh, I would love to weld those up with my new airline torch... looks like a fun project... nice job cutting out the sheet... good thinking on welding them up as sub assemblies.

I would like you to weld them up with your new torch, haha. I only have the oxy/acetylene available, no tig ): I will still enjoy doing it though, this is one of the more enjoyable parts of the the whole build.

Ceramic coating is expensive and the effect is marginal at best - but they look good. I'm a fan of rattle cans. Cheap and cheerful - or use mop n glow if that look appeals to you.

Share any pics you please of the weld up - this part is fascinating to me.

+1!

about a million years ago a friend and I built some headers for a small block Ford (in a Datsun roadster!). Couldn't afford a TIG machine. Man, we got GOOD at gas welding! Unfortunately, not so much 'till we were almost done! Been contemplating revisiting the experience on my own T-500, so a vicarious prevue is appreciated!

You should send me that pile of numbered patterns ill "file" them for ya

bradj said:
You should send me that pile of numbered patterns ill "file" them for ya

No doubt you would:) When are you starting pipes for your RD?

A slip roll, pair of vice grips, mandrel and plastic mallet and you're on your way. That's a whole bunch of welding there.

johnu said:
No doubt you would:) When are you starting pipes for your RD?
iguess im gonna run my old pipes with new engine work and get a base line for where it need to be better

Back
Top Bottom