CB450SC nighthawk tracker build

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
Picked up my latest project down at UW Milwaukee off craigslist. $400. Hadn't used in a couple years and was sitting outside. Otherwise looked like a nice bike.

few more pics.
By the way, all the bodywork including all red plastic and tank is for sale. everything is in nice condition. Tank is rust free and dent free. Has fade on top.

This bike had some front end damage with both fork tubes bent. I picked up a complete honda CX500 front end on craigslist for $40 and swapped it out. I wanted to use the CX500 comstars anyways. I then picked up a CB400T 18" rear comstar wheel to match the CX500 front. Had them powder coated gold and put some new rubber on them. Everything mounted up to stock frame and swingarm without any mods.
The tank is a CB400F reproduction tank that I picked up for about $300.

Now i just need to decide what to do with that ugly ass frame.

Engine side covers powder coated black.
Carbs are back from crazypj after a complete rebuild.
All the experts say these carbs don't work really well without using airbox so I have decided to keep the airboxes on and cover them with number plates.
I removed the entire rear part of frame and am sketching out ideas of how the rear end will look.

a pic showing the number plates which will hide the stock airbox.
I would love to use pods on this bike but numerous experts including crazypj here say its not advisable unless I swap out to different carbs. i actually don't think I will mind the stock airbox being used because I was planning on using number plates anyways.

I like where this is heading! The number plates work great with the weird rounded frame tubes of that model. But what to do for a seat? Hmmm... Do you follow the frame down, then back up? Or do you go straight across from the rear of the tank and fill in with sheet metal? Or do you do a mini-truss frame like Ducati in that area? Can't wait to see what you do. What tires did you end up with?

It's looking good! I'm going to follow this because I want to do something similar to my CB400T. I'm looking forward to seeing how your's turns out

Going to do a short seat hoop that attaches to main frame at rear of tank. It will follow lines of tank and will connect to the existing frame via a couple truss braces. Something like picture seen below, but obviously mine doesn't have mono shock. The shocks will mount to stock frame in location as seen in pics above using a heavy steel bracket.

Any progress on this lately? I'm working on the same bike , having a fantastic time dealing with the ugly frame because I can't weld, any decisions on the seat?

No new updates to speak of.
Bike is currently at the welder getting the rear frame and shock mounts fabricated.
Hopefully another week or two and I'll start updating here again.

Love it so far! I've been rolling over idea on how to keep the stock box without it looking like crap and the plates seem to be the only way to go.

Hey buddy, looking good so far. Never would have thought to use that bike as a tracker, but your pulling it off. Can't wait to see how the rear turns out. You make it look too easy!

Very cool, I think those number plates are a sweet idea for losing the air box behind :) Never been much of a fan of the comstars but those in gold of equal sizes look sweet on this 8) good choice getting rid of the rear section :)

D4N63R said:
Love it so far! I've been rolling over idea on how to keep the stock box without it looking like crap and the plates seem to be the only way to go.

For me that was the key- having fronts and rears in similar sizes. It was a real pain trying to find that 18" matching rear comstar!

Back
Top Bottom