black friday sales from airtech and batterystuff

You're welcome!

We'll have to start a "Here's my Airtech part..." thread.

I think Tim should hit them up for sponsorship too :))

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I emailed them an order last night for the Ducati 900ss single fairing I've been obsessing about. I probably shouldn't have but you only live once ;D.

The fairing is for my GS. I wish I had a Ducati :'( (not really, they look nice though).

I had a duc, I ditched it because of maintenance. I have a fzr400 now and I ordered the 98-99 tz250 fairings for it. Saved $130 for ordering on black friday. I was going to put it off till spring, but the savings were too much.

I got rid of my Duc because it was only a 620 and not fast enough on the highway. I spent a lot of time dealing with "deferred" maintenance from the previous owner, but after that was done I didn't really feel it took much more maintenance that any other of my "fine ride" bikes :) I know you have to check the valve clearances and potentially adjust them, but after the first adjustment the clearances don't tend to change much, in my experience and those of the Ducati mechanics I've talked with.

Rat, I'm always curious about other people's experience with their Ducs because I'd like to get another one at some point. What maintenance issues did you have to deal with?

I had a 99 748. The timing belt was a pain to deal with. But the valve adjustments were what got me. I checked them when I bought it, adjusted them and replaced the belts. Then 6k miles later I checked them and about half needed adjustment. Then when I had about 10k miles I had put on it one of the rear intake valves snapped in the guide and wrecked the rear cylinder and head. I rebuilt it with an 853 big bore kit and even with metal or fiber head gaskets and the head and cylinder being checked by a machine shop it was getting enough pressure in the cooling system to keep poping the upper coolant tank. So I sold the duc for 1k more than I paid for it, spent 1k on an 04 yzf600r and started collecting the parts to build a wicked fzr400.

Shit, I can't believe I didn't see this--was debating over an Airtech quarter fairing and missed my chance to get it for a great price.

Rat_ranger said:
I had a 99 748. The timing belt was a pain to deal with. But the valve adjustments were what got me. I checked them when I bought it, adjusted them and replaced the belts. Then 6k miles later I checked them and about half needed adjustment. Then when I had about 10k miles I had put on it one of the rear intake valves snapped in the guide and wrecked the rear cylinder and head. I rebuilt it with an 853 big bore kit and even with metal or fiber head gaskets and the head and cylinder being checked by a machine shop it was getting enough pressure in the cooling system to keep poping the upper coolant tank. So I sold the duc for 1k more than I paid for it, spent 1k on an 04 yzf600r and started collecting the parts to build a wicked fzr400.

Fuuuuuuuuucckkkk, that sucks. I had an '05 2 valve, and I understand that was a newer motor design. It even had little threaded holes to temporarily install screws to lock the cams in place when changing the timing belt. Also, no pesky water to deal with :) Have you seen Dale's 748RR resto?
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41391.0

AgentX said:
Shit, I can't believe I didn't see this--was debating over an Airtech quarter fairing and missed my chance to get it for a great price.

I would sign up for their newsletter - that's how I found out about this sale. I also understand they do a Memorial Day sale as well, and there's probably more.

You could always give them a call and see if they would honor the sale...I'm curious about how much business we sent their way, so maybe they'll be nice to you.

Worst cb650 ever said:
I would sign up for their newsletter - that's how I found out about this sale. I also understand they do a Memorial Day sale as well, and there's probably more.

You could always give them a call and see if they would honor the sale...I'm curious about how much business we sent their way, so maybe they'll be nice to you.

Wish they'd take emails--I'm on the opposite side of the world but it'll be worth the time zone re-jiggering.

Thanks-

They have a facebook they post the sales notices on as well.

Yeah, the duc was about $1500 in parts when it blew. Pistal pistons, 916 cylinders, spare heads, rings, chip, gasket set, belts, also in there was a new chain and sprockets. I did all the work myself and it fought me every step of the way. I know maintenance was put off on it because the swingarm bolt that is supposed to be greased once a year was rusted solid.

Rat_ranger said:
Yeah, the duc was about $1500 in parts when it blew. Pistal pistons, 916 cylinders, spare heads, rings, chip, gasket set, belts, also in there was a new chain and sprockets. I did all the work myself and it fought me every step of the way. I know maintenance was put off on it because the swingarm bolt that is supposed to be greased once a year was rusted solid.

Yea, mine had a paper thin sliver of brake pad material left on each pad, damaged fuel pump wiring, and the cylinders were so out of balance the first time I hooked up my home made carb sync tool, the vertical cylinder sucked all the ATF out of the tubing. And then there was smoke. There's gotta be something wrong with us for owning bikes like these...I blame too many closed head injuries on my part.

Back
Top Bottom