Race day

Milehighcb

West Coast Bound
IMG_0693.jpg

Here is my daily driver 2006 Dodge Ram Sport, Yeah it's got a Hemi. Also included is my 1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo Solo2 racer.
This is a picture at an event in Colorado. It was a pretty fullfilling dream that I have worked on for several years, thru some pretty trying times.

The car is my baby that I have owned since 1990, and it has gone from bone stock daily driver, to mild modded street machine that in the day would eat Grand Nationals for dinner and played well with modded Pantera's at Lime Rock.

The car had a pretty award winning competition stereo in it for awhile and I did the Sound off and car show scene. It took many 500watt class trophies back in the day with ADS and Soundstream gear.

After that got stolen, and some years passed I got into AutoX or Solo2 events pretty heavily. Did some track events, but didn't want to bring it back in a bucket.

So, I decided to get serious about making it a AutoX only car, bought a trailer and over several years transformed it into what it is today. I still have some things I want to do to it, as it will never be "done".

It runs in XP class, so pretty high horsepower to weight ratio cars, like Vettes, 400hp Lotus Elises and pretty much what ever mad wrenchmen can dream up.

My car has been through it all, Blown motor on Autothority dyno while making a chip, blown turbo after the first run at an event I trailered it to from CO to CA. Ouch, that sucked.

Motor was built by TriPoint Engineering, and at that time Motec engineers came up and tuned the stand alone engine management system. Pretty builtproof and not super risky.
I used TEC (a local turbo firm) to help design a turbo for the needs of AutoX. Sure I could have stuck a huge turbine on it for big numbers, but it wouldnt do a think for fast spool up needed for tight autox courses. We built a nice "lil" system, and used a Tial wastegate, Racing Beat mainifold and a nice large front mount intercooler, and a big cross flow race radiator. While the bits and pieces were sourced from TEC as well as the some support, all the work I did myself.

TriPoint also supplied the wide body kit. Its not a cheap kit and needed a lot of custom tweeking to get it to fit well. I took the entire outter shell down to bare metal, Duraglassed and Expoxy'd the flares and shot the Artic Silver paint myself. I had already resprayed the inside of the tub when I stripped every last single thing out of it that was not needed.

The wheels are 16x12 Real Racing wheel, with spacers, big huge sticky Hoosier race gum balls.
Suspension is Bilstein shocks, Hypercoil springs, Delrin Bushings, ST bars, tie bar, roll cage, and many other parts.

Lexan windows I made myself, as well as a feather light dash. Doors do have aluminum skins because I just couldnt stand to see the gutted and stripped door inners. Solo race seat that weighs 12 pounds, removable Personal Steering wheel. My lastest creation were all metal funtional hood vents. Started out with cardboard models, transferred to aluminum and then got out the grinder. It was hard for me to cut that aluminum hood up, but they look amazing and help evacuate a lot of under hood heat.

The car can weigh less than what it does, and maybe someday it will go on a diet, but at this point, its going to cost a lot of money as all of the big heavy stuff is gone. I had to run that type of spoiler in the class I used to run, no not Nascar, but I will get another one eventually. This one was cheap, and does make a good amount of downforce, as well as the custom front fiberglass splitter I fabbed.

So, here is my 400hp 2000 pound baby. I have put racing on the back burner with my cafe build and move to CA, but I can't wait to rev this puppy out to 9K soon. 1.3 liters of furry!

Niiiiiiiice!!! ;D

Me and my Bro built a CP car a few years back. Nowhere near as involved as your car though. But it was rockin' about 400hp at about 2700lbs. We did pretty good with it as well. In our debut season, we updated something major (engine, trans, rear axle/gearing, etc.) almost every month. Mainly by just being consistant (we were rarely the fastest guys out there), we took 1st (me) and 2nd in our division locally.
Man that thing was an animal to drive. Win or lose, you always came off course with a big grin on your mug ;D

This was our baby...
july29event.jpg

I'm sorry Milehighcb, but that much description along with that little picture just isn't working at all for me... more pictures please :) I'd like to see the hood closer and the wide body work.

Very cool

s1.jpg

This is my favorite picture, intimidation!!
cars.jpg

What used to be my garage, my daily driver and the racer
tourpic.jpg

A few years ago at the Denver National Tour
fmic1.jpg

Just after the turbo and FMIC instal, I have some shields and the front clip off to gain access.
s2.jpg

These pics are all a few years old. The hood vents are not in place, as well as the front splitter. Also, a keen eye may notice BP not XP as the class, and that changed a couple years ago.

I will be trailering all my stuff out to CA from CO in about a week, so once I get it cleaned up from the million bugs I will hit, I will post some pics, under hoodies and whatever ya'll want to see.

I am going thru Cafe withdrawl, so many fun roads here in Sonoma county and my bike is waiting in CO for rescue!!

That's more like it.

Never mind the cars, I'm jealous of your' spiffy garage... and your cars :)

Passed by a girl yesterday in a lightly modded white 2nd gen, so sexy!

I was very proud of my garage. I hand painted each of those checkers on the floor. It was a labor of love tho. I made quite the impression on my neighbors, as they would all pass by and comment on it. All of the cabinets behind the cars stored all my tools, and the drawers under the workbench housed nuts and bolts, small power tools and such. The lighting was like a operating room, it was almost too bright. I painted everything with Ultra white paint and it relfected all the light. My compressor was housed in the basement as it was a big 50 gallon 2 stage. Flip a light switch in the garage, and the compressor would turn on in the basement. Nice for keeping peace with the neighbors.

I still see some 2nd gen Rx7's out on the streets, but they are getting harder to keep alive, and those who mod them carelessly find out they run great until you loose the rear housing!

Glad you like the pics, I will post some more when I get the car here in Cali.

Rotary performance (rx7.com) is essentially just down the street from us so there are probably more FCs running around here then most places. SAs and FDs are still rare as hens teeth.

my cousin has a nicely modified FD.. puts around 500 to the wheels last i checked. lots of carbon on her... its damn sexy, and the most fun i have had in a car in a while. love when the turbos spool and that mofo hits warp speed!

hes out in malta though... probably one of the fastest cars on the island... definitely the coolest. he even had the car in his wedding picture... and his cake.. ;D

Back
Top Bottom