my jeep build(project)

JRK5892

Over 1,000 Posts
hey guys, i have neglected my jeep for too long (2000 grand limited V8) now it is time to spend some TLC and $ on her. i build custom motorcycles for a living so i know my way around a tool box but this is the first time i have worked on a grand for anyting other then lights, budget boost/shocks, and stereo work... so i am going to need some help. my jeep has a budget boost on it now with rough country shocks. any of the areas that say (need to buy) i am open to sugestions not only of what to get but where to get it
(i will be out of town this weekend but back at it on monday)

here is my plan:

Underside:
-New Rotors(drilled and slotted)
- ceramic pads
- rebuild and powder coated calipters and brackets
- new upper and lower ball joints (need to buy)
- new stearing stabilizer (need to buy)
- new tie rods (need to buy)
- allignment
- new parking brake pads

Upper side:
- new radiator (need to buy
- New water pump (need to buy)
- Serp Betl (need to buy)
- tint front windows

*am i missing anyting?

i am doing my caliper and brackets this weekend, then will slap in the rebuilds.. but here are some pics so far, i could use any help you guys have to offer...

My rear rotors where completely done, my guide pins a seized in the front calipers, the front rotors are ground to **** and warped to hell, little mini sledge help and it all came off

my thin wavey rear rotor
28t8k7t.jpg

25tdyxl.jpg

sad front rotors
24gn0wp.jpg

SAVE US
eurpzo.jpg

look mom no wheels
72d7as.jpg

well... after 5 hours in a chem degrease tank, then 3 hours outgassing, and about 2 hours blasting... finally got the brakes back to clean metal again... now time for some color!
352m0py.jpg

2 coats of primer to get them smoooooth
2lkvio2.jpg

brackets are done
eino9f.jpg

new parts on the way
2065_12.JPG

radiator-2510a.jpg

H1650025.jpg

revheadgl said:
Missing? A supercharger! LOL.

Seriously though, braided brake hoses will improve brake feel and are relatively inexpensive. And dont use dot 5 silicon based brake fluid (if its still available that is).

And use a metalized window tint. It is more effective than plain old tint.

New radiator cap and hoses.

everything he said...

also...

new plugs/wires... get rid of all the dumb plastic motor shrouding... swap out the rubber lines for stainless lines with NaN fittings... thatll pretty up the engine bay quick. also consider swapping out the fluid tanks with something that looks a little cooler than a plastic jug.

i agree on supercharger.

already got new wires and plugs in her and a cool air intake so the plastic motor cover is long gone ... the rad started to leak so to get to it i have to pull off the whole front of the truck so i figure while i have it off i may as well replace the water pump while i am there... i have all new hoses and cap for the radiator as well... braided brake lines huh, may have to look into that

I have an '04 and I just had the guide pin freeze up on a caliper too. I had just put new rotors and pads on a few months before. Flush and replace the tranny fluid. I'm starting to have problems with mine at only 112k. I just had to change two sensors in there at $300 just for parts and fluid. Get some exhaust on that thing. I've been real happy with toyo's on my jeeps the last few years. I've been through three sets already and can get 80k out of a set.

man was like impossible to find rebuilds... but got her done

rebuilds
2moxu2x.jpg

rebuilds are in
52c0ly.jpg

2jc7uz5.jpg

if my ball joints and tie rods come i can get the wheels back on tonight!

Well Sean came by last night to give me a hand, also had to get a front end from a sporty all torn apart for powder... so got that done...

installed new rotors on rear, new tie rods on driver side (did not button it up cause i have to do ball joints still), sway bars are on both passanger and driver, tie rods disconected from the knuckle on the passanger side, stabilizer bar removed and new one shoudl be here tonight. brakes are assembled wiht the new ceramic pads (oooh so pretty)

tonight, ball joints both sides, tie rods passanger side, install and bleed brakes!

this weekend ill get started on the radiator, water pump, S belt, and tint out my front driver and passanger windows!

Dang... i ordered a new stearing stabilizer and Thrush Two Chamber Muffler from sumit performance on Thurs at around noon, it showed up at my house YESTERDAY!!!!

JRK5892 said:
Dang... i ordered a new stearing stabilizer and Thrush Two Chamber Muffler from sumit performance on Thurs at around noon, it showed up at my house YESTERDAY!!!!

jesus! thats good service!

mookieo2 said:
I have an '04 and I just had the guide pin freeze up on a caliper too. I had just put new rotors and pads on a few months before. Flush and replace the tranny fluid. I'm starting to have problems with mine at only 112k. I just had to change two sensors in there at $300 just for parts and fluid. Get some exhaust on that thing. I've been real happy with toyo's on my jeeps the last few years. I've been through three sets already and can get 80k out of a set.

I hope you're not talking about the input/output sensors (when they fail, the tranny will go into limp mode and shift really hard). It's a 5 minute job to swap them out (I've done both on my '99) and the sensors are only about $30/each.

man ball joints where a bear! not so much doing them just finding the right parts to rent to use to remove them and install them... got the new ball joints in, got the drivers side tie rods done (inner and outter) however the passanger side will not move... have to go get some map gas to heat them up to get them loose so i can replace them..
all i have left is: passanger inner and outter tie rods, stearing stabilizer, install rear and passanger side brakes, bleed... then get an allignment done

this weekend round 2: radiator, water pump, S belt, tint drivers and passanger windows, and install Thrush Two Chamber Muffler

here is a shot of the drivers side with brakes assembled:
1zytpb5.jpg

fantastic!!! simply fantastic!!! got the muffler put on yesterday and an allignment.. the truck brakes like a sports car now, it is simply unreal how much better it is... complete rebuilds and drilled and slotted with cermaic pads is awesome... the new stearing stabilizer, ball joints, and tie rods made a world of differance!!! while it was up on the lift for the muffler i looked under the truck and have to say i did a great job undercoating it from my back in the garage...

I am in love with my Jeep all over again! this weekend i will do the radiator, water pump, and S belt... but for now she is golden!!! Ill get some pics up later today it has been storming here like no tomorrow...

she is dirty as sin but... here are some pics i snapped on my way to work today between down pours

o0cdqo.jpg

2hcosiq.jpg

67m877.jpg

niceeeeee!

you did check your muffler bearings while you were in there, right?

Back
Top Bottom