starting to get chilly when the sun is gone :(

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
Damn it, it was 46 degrees when I left at 5am for work today. A bit brisk at 70mph even with some cold weather gear on. I cant believe that in a little over a month riding season (for my street bike anyways) will be coming to a close. I've been having way too much fun this year after my gf got a bike and we joined a couple riding clubs. Even though this winter will mean fresh paint for my KZ750 and hopefully a good chunk out of my Honda 350 rebuild, I still hate the winter here.

Damn it.

SONIC. said:
Heated grips and a snowmobile suit!

I havent gone that far yet... although I do have water/windproof jacket and pants that are pretty decent when combined with long underwear and a thick hoodie. Two winters ago we had a day in February that had a low of 28 but a high of 65 (gotta love it here) and they just happened to be running a road enduro that day in southern ohio. The roads were dry so we set out at 6am when it was 28 degrees, going 60 mph on 21 south for a good hour. I have never been so cold in my whole life. I had icicles coming off my headlight fairing, bark busters and front fender. My turn signal switch froze up. As we arrived 4 hours later, the temp was near 50. By then we were so hot wearing all that gear! I brought a huge backpack and rode the enduro and some other trails the rest of the day with all my cold weather gear stuffed into it. Must have weighed 20 lbs lol. It was fun, especially to be able to do a day trip/enduro in the middle of February. Would I do it again? yep!

runmikeyrun said:
I havent gone that far yet... although I do have water/windproof jacket and pants that are pretty decent when combined with long underwear and a thick hoodie. Two winters ago we had a day in February that had a low of 28 but a high of 65 (gotta love it here) and they just happened to be running a road enduro that day in southern ohio. The roads were dry so we set out at 6am when it was 28 degrees, going 60 mph on 21 south for a good hour. I have never been so cold in my whole life. I had icicles coming off my headlight fairing, bark busters and front fender. My turn signal switch froze up. As we arrived 4 hours later, the temp was near 50. By then we were so hot wearing all that gear! I brought a huge backpack and rode the enduro and some other trails the rest of the day with all my cold weather gear stuffed into it. Must have weighed 20 lbs lol. It was fun, especially to be able to do a day trip/enduro in the middle of February. Would I do it again? yep!

Thats awesome! I live near the 21/76 interchange. Just got an enduro too!

I live in central Ohio and have had those days too. I think the coldest it was on the way into work one day was 25 degrees. I actually did have snowmobile gear on, and even at that it was horrible for the entire 20 min. drive. I would like to puff out my chest and say "oh it wasn't that bad", but that my friends would be a lie. It was probably one of the worst bike related experiences I've had. And at that I wasn't lucky enough to have the 60 degree ride home, I think it was still only about 33 on the trek back. After that, if it wasn't at least 40 out, I was getting in the truck and riding to work haha

hurco550 said:
I live in central Ohio and have had those days too. I think the coldest it was on the way into work one day was 25 degrees. I actually did have snowmobile gear on, and even at that it was horrible for the entire 20 min. drive. I would like to puff out my chest and say "oh it wasn't that bad", but that my friends would be a lie. It was probably one of the worst bike related experiences I've had. And at that I wasn't lucky enough to have the 60 degree ride home, I think it was still only about 33 on the trek back. After that, if it wasn't at least 40 out, I was getting in the truck and riding to work haha

When I was stationed in Alaska I was the MSF instructor on the base and knew most of the riders. One morning I was in North Pole before work, it was either late fall or early spring and was actually above zero (barely), I heard a bike out on the highway going to the base and recognized one of the civilian employees riding his K75 to work. Of course I thought he was nuts and the next time I saw him I said something about it. He laughed and said he thought it was warmer when he left home but really hadn't done too bad with it because of his heated grips and vest. Then he showed me the spot on his leg. When he got to work he discovered his riding pants had ridden up and left a one inch wide patch of bare skin between his pants cuff and the top of his boot. He had this one inch wide by four inch long patch of frost bite that took months to clear up!

Hurco thats pretty much my mantra now, 40 degrees and no hidden patches of ice... after getting sideways a few times in early spring I said no more.

ridesolo that sounds awful! Frostbite is no joke...

Sitting at work looking at the snow coming down hard outside. The next person I hear say "think spring" is gonna get throat punched.

Back
Top Bottom