71 CL350 Cafe Time for the build thread![A New Look]

I don't normally care for that style fairing but it really does 'fit' your bike and looks good. I think it's the added mass of the tank balancing it out. Whatever it is.......it's nice!

Thanks guys. Funny thing Swagger, I NEVER liked those fairings. That one came with a purchase of an Omar's fairings I bought for another bike. It was laying around the garage so I figured what the heck. I ended up liking it. I think you're right though. It has alot to do with the orca whale of a tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, bitches.

I really like that fairing on your bike. Again, I don't usually care for them either, but it does compliment your bike well. Maybe its the stripes and knee dents. Nice work

Your seat cover looks way better in that last picture. Did you make it or buy it?

I need to make/buy one and am looking for tips or vendors.

djelliott said:
Hey thanks. Here's a more recent shot.

775a4f56.jpg

Sorry the pictures a little crappy. I ended up going with slightly shorter shocks. I thought the others were a bit to tall. As far as handling goes, it's amazing. I often forget I'm on a 350.

I see you changed the rear-sets and the mufflers too, not to mention you added some bell mouths. Very cool - I like the small fairing also.

Rusnak_322 said:
Your seat cover looks way better in that last picture. Did you make it or buy it?

I need to make/buy one and am looking for tips or vendors.

My friend Russ made it. Good local guy.

cyclhed said:
I see you changed the rear-sets and the mufflers too, not to mention you added some bell mouths. Very cool - I like the small fairing also.

Yes sir. The ever changing project eh? The rear sets are from right here, forum member durgram_k, available from the selling section here. They're great. The muffler is a Mac 2-1 that I made a new baffle for. The baffle idea came from forum member alphadogchoppers ( I give credit where credit is due). This winter I'll be doing a little painting to clean things up and moving on. I have a cb750 project on the lift to finish up as well.

Firstly I have to say the bike is awesome mate well done. I have a question as well for all, I’m fairly hopeless when it comes to products but what would you recommend as a adhesive to stick the knee pads to the tank????????

Wow. Awesome looking bike. You've got some great info for my CL360 build. Now off to reading 17 pages of stuff...

deepwaterimports said:
Firstly I have to say the bike is awesome mate well done. I have a question as well for all, I’m fairly hopeless when it comes to products but what would you recommend as a adhesive to stick the knee pads to the tank????????

Thanks. As for adhesive, I used the regular old "emblem adhesive" that can be found at your friendly neighborhood auto parts store. I believe it was made by 3M. It works great but be careful because it can eat through regular old spray pant. If that's how your're doing your tank, then use the red double sided tape that usually is found in the same isle.

Fox said:
Wow. Awesome looking bike. You've got some great info for my CL360 build. Now off to reading 17 pages of stuff...

Thanks. Going to check out your build thread now.

Great looking bike. It's inspiring. The thing is, your quick before and after I'm sure downplay the time it took you with the frame and motor. I'm debating painting or finding someone to powder the frame. Do you feel like your paint will hold up just fine? That and I'm polishing my entire motor. I'd be happy with rebuilding it just to stock. I have to tear it apart to replace the top case on the bottom end since it's cracked. How was taking apart your motor?

metropolitanhighrise said:
Great looking bike. It's inspiring. The thing is, your quick before and after I'm sure downplay the time it took you with the frame and motor. I'm debating painting or finding someone to powder the frame. Do you feel like your paint will hold up just fine? That and I'm polishing my entire motor. I'd be happy with rebuilding it just to stock. I have to tear it apart to replace the top case on the bottom end since it's cracked. How was taking apart your motor?

I was actually wondering the same thing.

The paint held up ok. Powder would have been way better. I do know folks that get great results brushing on por-15. On the motor, after 40 years of being together they take a little convincing to come apart. The top case means a full tear down. The crank and trans are secured in the top. You may want to try and repair your case with product called "alumiweld" instead of going through all of that if the crack is the only reason. look it up. Pretty amazing stuff.

djelliott said:
The paint held up ok. Powder would have been way better. I do know folks that get great results brushing on por-15. On the motor, after 40 years of being together they take a little convincing to come apart. The top case means a full tear down. The crank and trans are secured in the top. You may want to try and repair your case with product called "alumiweld" instead of going through all of that if the crack is the only reason. look it up. Pretty amazing stuff.

Good to hear about getting good results with the Por-15. I plan to do the same with Rustbullet shortly.

Back
Top Bottom