Found OLD Honda near Algonquin Park, Ontario. Not sure what to do with it!!!

HolyRoller

Been Around the Block
Greetings Gents and Ladies.

Been a while since I posted, but I am always lurking about around this forum.

Found this bike and looking for some advice.

NOS Honda parts not cheap and this needs plenty of them to restore... so thinking about a Modded instead of Restoration.

Any thoughts?

Sorry the first pic is upside down.

Attachments

• 20150221_142423.jpg
    20150221_142423.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20150221_142430.jpg
    20150221_142430.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20150221_142739.jpg
    20150221_142739.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 216
that bike would be pretty valuable to somebody that is into those, just the fact that the rear fender has not been cut of gives it priority,flip it and get something more mod worthy is what i would suggest

I couldn't resist buying it as I am an idiot, but it needs a lot of work. Engine is fine and has good compression. Metal is solid but rusted pretty badly as you can see. Just about every square inch of chrome will need to be replaced or the parts replaced. Rims are garbage unless I blast and powder coat... but the frame is not only solid but has no cracks or dents.

Numbers match. Doesn't run that I know of.... but I haven't tried yet.

I have been pricing NOS Honda parts. Yikes. Adding insult to injury, the prices are all in US dollars which makes them 25% more expensive for us Canucks.

Strangely, I like the bike in its original configuration. My idea of modding this bike would NOT include cutting anything. Simply powder coating a different colour than original and going with black powder coat on many of the previously chromed areas. Honda purists would have a collective heart attack, but the again, they can go find their own Dreams. I would be loath to cut an old classic like this, but almost as loath to pay 5K for NOS parts when the bike restored is hardly worth that.

Not sure what to make of that odometer reading... but assuming it has rolled over.

Thanks for the thoughts by the way, xb33.

Couple more pics.

Hmm. Apparently, my PC auto-rotates upside-down pics taken on my Galaxy. Not sure how to fix that.

Attachments

• 20150221_142758.jpg
    20150221_142758.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • 20150221_142828.jpg
    20150221_142828.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 209
Loads of 1/2 decent replica parts are available through eBay from Thailand. I've got a 'baby Dream' - the CA95 160cc version.

Don't sweat the purists - at Barber each year in the swap meet area there's a motley crew of guys with bikes that were once Honda Dreams and are now some of the oddest, craziest bikes you can imagine.

2009_Barber__67_.JPG

I'm never one to criticize modding anything, but most of those parts can be restored unless they're rusted through. Chrome can be re-chromed and paint can be repainted.

Is it a CA72 or CA77? CA72=250cc, CA77=305cc.
The VIN should be stamped on the frame and also there should be something on the motor.
I'd say definitely good enough for a semi - resto - ie, the basic chassis. Check Sirius in Kitchener for 16 inch tires and tubes, aftermarket mufflers and the odd engine bit. They probably even have a carb rebuild kit for it. A seat might be a bit problematic; the foam on both my CA95 seats rotted away and the springs and frame were badly rusted and it looks like your seat is about the same condition.
Like Tim says, try some of the Far East suppliers for bits - a set of new chromed rims aren't that expensive but as you mentioned, maybe just sandblast and powdercoat the originals? Camchain, pistons, rings are still around.
Stuff like wheel and steering head bearings are readily available, occasionally even from Honda.
You've already got a manual (right?) so pull the wee beastie apart and make a list of what you need and figure out if you can afford it.
The Dreams make a nice "cruising" bike and will definitely be a head turner no what where you ride it.
Yes, it will always be a Dream, but so what? Have fun with your project.
Pat

Tune-A-Fish said:
What about those e Cessna cowls just lying there?

Nice... good eyes.

My bike is at parents' farm. My dad rebuilds old planes. Rest of the plane is sitting in the field at the moment. He is actually parting this plane out to raise money for food for Haiti.

pacomotorstuff said:
Is it a CA72 or CA77? CA72=250cc, CA77=305cc.
The VIN should be stamped on the frame and also there should be something on the motor.
I'd say definitely good enough for a semi - resto - ie, the basic chassis. Check Sirius in Kitchener for 16 inch tires and tubes, aftermarket mufflers and the odd engine bit. They probably even have a carb rebuild kit for it. A seat might be a bit problematic; the foam on both my CA95 seats rotted away and the springs and frame were badly rusted and it looks like your seat is about the same condition.
Like Tim says, try some of the Far East suppliers for bits - a set of new chromed rims aren't that expensive but as you mentioned, maybe just sandblast and powdercoat the originals? Camchain, pistons, rings are still around.
Stuff like wheel and steering head bearings are readily available, occasionally even from Honda.
You've already got a manual (right?) so pull the wee beastie apart and make a list of what you need and figure out if you can afford it.
The Dreams make a nice "cruising" bike and will definitely be a head turner no what where you ride it.
Yes, it will always be a Dream, but so what? Have fun with your project.
Pat

The bike is a 305 Dream (CA77) at least according to the seller. I think I will keep it as I have no reason to sell it and I like the old style fenders and tank.

I really like the look of this bike (I think the guy is a member here?)

Attachments

• Honda305Dream1.jpg
    Honda305Dream1.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 188
that is pretty darn cool i think a big rusty sprung tractor seat would be even better have fun with it !!!

I really like this look as well, though this is the 250 CA95 I think.

When the bike is as messed up as mine, I don't feel bad about not restoring it too its original form.

Time will tell. I think I will build this bike this spring and put the GS1000 further on hold. I have to finish restoring my 84 GS750EF first. Need a bike to ride for spring.

Attachments

• honda-ca95-625x416.jpg
    honda-ca95-625x416.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 573
I am diggin that last one HolyRoller. Mute colors with smooth leather. Like what deviant said, anything can be re-chromed or re-painted if it isn't shot.

Cool, that 305 is a member here yes, the other is cool too. Going with something like either one would be great use of the old bike

Holy,
Once you've figured out which way you're going with this beastie, get Matt to move the topic to the correct board.
Pop me an email if you're having trouble locating some parts or just want to bs about old bikes.
Pat

HolyRoller said:
Nice... good eyes.

My bike is at parents' farm. My dad rebuilds old planes. Rest of the plane is sitting in the field at the moment. He is actually parting this plane out to raise money for food for Haiti.

Where are you and can you ask what he wants for the cowls if not too far to ship to Memphis. They wont be used in aviation again so no certs or IA will ever be done again.

Hey Holy,
Not trying to cut into a potential bit of commerce between your Dad and Tuna, but if Pops doesn't want to part with his Cessna stuff and Tuna can use them, I have 2, Luscombe 8F cowls that I'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price.
I'm in the Toronto Ontario Canada area, but ship all over...
Pat

Back
Top Bottom