the eternal frustration of a project, time and money

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
Seems like there's never enough time or money to go around for builds. If I work extra I get a few more bucks but then I'm not home to wrench. Take a few days off and I have the time but need money for bills. I'm wondering how people manage to find a balance and actually get things done, I've had my CB350 project in boxes since 2013 and have only purchased a handful of parts since then. My next step is powder coating motor, hubs, rims etc but that costs money... I earned my RN license a few months ago but still have yet to get a job, and on top of that I have one year of school left.

I've heard people say that lottery winners often end up miserable and worse off than before they won. I really find that hard to believe, as I would be pretty happy to set up shop and spend my days wrenching and riding.

i just finished my RD 250,which i restored all by myself and it was a tremendous amount of time and money i had to spend,fortunately i have a kind girlfriend who lets me the freedom to wrench on the weekends,hope this wont change ;D
so for the funding i work during the week and work on my diploma which i hope to finish end of this summer...gosh i would love to throw it in the bin and wrench all day long :D
there were many points in my build where i thought "oh my this gonna hurt (financially)" but I kept on saying to myseld,this is just a hobby,but its more....

my other project a KZ400 shows to be highly frustrating.as for the funding i´m working together with a study collegue,that totally shows no interest whatsoever for the bike,so I had to keep on working on it to get it running while working on the RD.i will never ever team up for a build,even with good friends....

one really has to have the mindset to spend money and crazy hours to get piece of old metal running.

but the RD runs and the next will be the KZ.

I followed your RD thread, she's beautiful! Such fun bikes too, I loved my 250 and 400.

My gf started riding last year and loves to hang in the garage and bs while I work in the garage, which is a huge plus... when we don't feel like going out we can burn a whole saturday evening out there :) I just make sure her HD is clean and maintained along with mine. Still, I work 50+ hours a week plus school, homework, etc.

good luck on your KZ man! I should have included just the frustration of working on them period, but that's part of the "fun" lol.

I should add that it's also frustrating that I usually have a lot of down time at the fire department, sitting around playing on the net and nothing else really to do. I mean I get paid to sit here and do, well, nothing but it's time I really wish I was in the garage. My mind goes round and round on things that need done and it drives me a little crazy haha.

That sounds cool.my gf is not so much into motos but since my room where i can work is in the workshop of my dad,he runs a brass workshop,she likes to search for stuff and produce jewelry,polish stuff...
So you are a firefighter?what kind of school do you do?
I'm studying architecture in austria finshing this oktober,working besides that doing my bikes is mostly for the weekends.i had times when i could work on the bike during the week but it felt wrong ;-) since its not something i will money with :).
I do not have a lot of space as seen in the pic,my kz stands also there.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430244034055.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430244034055.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 148
Back
Top Bottom