Saigon Café

Mojo

Hello everyone, just stumbled into this forum today. Finally got my project CB 350 up and running after a few months of resto work. Right now, it is running with a 250 Super Hawk gas tank and a locally made custom seat.

Still not fully up to specs as i am thinking of pulling back the rear sets and installing clip-on bars. Only thing I am wary of is this: How much of a comfort issue will I be facing if I decide to go this route? i am only asking because this will be a daily rider for me (together with a '67 Vespa Super). It's about a 30 km ride to and from the office in busy stop and go Saigon traffic.

Hope you guys like it.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

Re: Saigon Café

wow nice bike, i love the honda toaster tanks,you can see from my avatar i have a few, i'm also from vietnam, too bad i'm living in canada, we could've gone for a ride, as for your rearset/ clip ons idea, depending on your height, usually clip ons require rear sets, but on your bike you'd have to lose the stock headlight ears, the clip ons would then mount under the top triple,
i would try clubmans first as the position would be similiar,i run clip ons on top of the triple, with no rear sets,but i could use them on longer rides, it gets a little cramped,clip ons are great for lane splitting i heavy traffic as well,

anyways keep up the great work,
hiep.

nice job. 30km is not far to ride in a forward lean. I'm 60 and it dosen't get to me for a couple hundred miles. it get's me in the wrist and forarms, but when riding a standard position, my back tends to hurt so....?... do the swap and see how you like it. you will certainly look cool.
I love the palm trees in the tank chrome. it's 35 deg (F) in my town. :-\
cheers

hmmmmm.. locally made seat eh???? looks nicely done. post a few close up photos? at a reasonable price, (shipping considered) you might be able to sell a few of those here.

Thanks for the quick response, guys.

I'm about 5'10", not that tall at all. Also, am kind to used to riding small 250 sport bikes (CBR, NSR), so the riding position won't be too alien to me. Good to know that clip-ons/rear sets make handling much better in traffic because that was what i was really worried about when I said "comfort". As it is, this is my first vintage road bike, and I'm still adjusting to the weight and having to wrestle with it's basic—how should I put it— "laziness" handling wise (compared to modern sport bikes). And, if you know Saigon traffic (And i think saucer does, based on his "lane splitting" comment!), you can't afford to be on cruise mode all the time — there are a million bikes to be dodged!

So, again, thanks for the tips!

Thanks.

Got the seat made locally. A rip off from a picture of an old Corbin Seat for a Norton. The guys at the shop did a nice job fabricating the seat, I must say.

Aside from the rear sets/clip-on mods, I'm also thinking about losing the tall side mirrors in favor of more discreet (maybe bar-end mounted) ones, and also rethinking the rear fender/brake light set-up. I feel that the brake light as it is now is a little too dominating.

What do you guys think? Any other recos?

Oh, and another thing: Any of you guys have any experience installing CL type pipes onto a CB? Any gains on that kind of set-up?

Thanks.

man, that would look sweet with cl pipes,
i love this bike, the bike looks short and tight looking.
if i had the choice between another cb or this to bye it would be a no brainer.
awesome work,
later.

supercafe said:
man, that would look sweet with cl pipes,
i love this bike, the bike looks short and tight looking.
if i had the choice between another cb or this to bye it would be a no brainer.
awesome work,
later.

Spot on, man. I'm going for the short, stubby look, which is why I'm re-thinking the rear fender/tail light set-up — to give it an even shorter profile.

Mojo said:
Oh, and another thing: Any of you guys have any experience installing CL type pipes onto a CB? Any gains on that kind of set-up?

Thanks.

There is no real gain or loss to be had swapping from CB to CL exhausts.

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom