A sad day in the cafe world

that is a tough one. like some of the guys said, we dont know your parents. i say ride the thing. i knew my mom would hate the idea of me having a motorcycle. at the end of the day i figured that i was responsible enough to survive on one and i got one. she trusts me and my judgment.
in the end finish your bike. take it around the block. you will still have the pride of making what you did. then you can do it again and probably better.
good luck

Well, this is a tough one, for sure.

In my case, I had been talking about a bike for quite awhile, but my parents had been less then thrilled about it. I first went and got the gear, then the course and then the bike. Now, I didn't tell them, because sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness then permission. Of course, the expression on my mom's face was one of total shock when I walked into a family gathering in full gear... having my uncle standing there laughing didn't help mind. In this case, she got over it... mostly.

You case is tougher, that I'd admit. My suggestion is pretty much the same as Drew's... wait. This way they can't take things away, and when you are on your own, you can do what you want.

It sucks, but could be worse... they could sell it out from under you (seen it... not pretty).

Have mom and dad read all of this. My dad got me into bikes 38 years ago and you know he tells me to give it up to this day,
he is 90 now, but every now and then i get him out for a ride on the back of one of my bikes and he smiles for the rest of the day, and still says boy give them things up! (not yet dad it is a way of life with me remberit was for you to back in your day) :'(

I hate to see good parents stopping fun. when I first got my license I ran around on a honda 80 told my mother it was a friends and he needed to keep it cause we had storage space. I have been riding for 18 years and my parents still don't know I have a license I think my mother would freak, and I'm 37 married 13 years. do what you have to never give up your fun. life is to short take it from a funeral director.

I have the perfect solution.. Send the bike to me.. I'll "hold on to it" for you till you want it back. Scouts honor.

There is some good advice above... Think about it this way. How bad do you want YOUR bike? Just think about it. If there is something you get from having a motorcycle that is important to you, you should fight for it. My parent's were supportive about trying things, but cautioned about the dangers of things like motorcycles, guns, drinking, sex, and what not. Remember "Everything in moderation, even moderation." What is it worth to you...?

bikerboy67 said:
CL 360 build coming to a close

rebuilt the carbs, fixed the electronics all thats left is paint and minor touch ups

Started her up on the first kick :eek:
really excited to go and get my license and go out on my first ride

and i get the phone call......

the bike must be sold

Thats sooo bad luck, my parents banned me from riding when i was 18 as i had had two broken legs in the space of three years, not my riding, tin boxes and old people, ( good insurance pay outs). They said the same when i leave home i can do what i want but until etc.... So when i was out of plaster (7months) and could walk again i sold the wreckage, my friends helped me to get my nerve back, crutches on the back of bikes!! without my parents knowing. I then bought an Rd400, plus various others Kept at a friends) over the space of year until ... you guessed it.... i ended up in hospital and they got a call to come and pick me up, got knocked out by a lorry turning, they then realised they could not stop me so they agreed to let me have a bike and sidecar, (500f and sidecar) then it was only a matter of time till i was back on two wheels. Perhaps an outfit might be the way to go a compromise.. ? lower it ,small wheels etc make a nice classic looking race outfit.... ??? just an idea. ::) :D

If this is your dream bike, find storage for it at a friends house. You can keep working on it until you graduate and then ride off into the sunset.

Wow that sucks! this is exactly why I waited till I got the title from my dad before I put any real work into the thing. My advice go buy the same bike for cheap and swap everything onto the bike that you have the title for and all the shifty parts onto the bike your parents want you to sell.

That is so lame... tell your mom that MY mom is the one who got ME into motorcycles... and my GIRLFRIELD rides her original '77 cb400f...

tell your mom to start being cool

i decided to sell it and wait to get a better one.

i'm taking the money and putting a V8 in my old Ranger 8)

if i can't die on 2 wheels i'm gonna try on 4 ;D

Holy shit. Be careful with that!!! I helped a buddy of mine cram a Vette 327 into an S10 RWD and even after cutting a sheet of 1/4" thick steel to fill the entire bed area that truck wouldn't keep straight when you barely touched the gas. Stupid amounts of fun though!!!!

I joined the Army, to pay my own way through college. Bought my first bike while serving as well. Didn't tell my folks until it was on a truck, being shipped to their house courtesy of the US Army. At that point, I was 22. What could they do? I lived with them for 6 mos after I got out, and the bike was the least of my troubles with them. The midnight curfew was the primary drive to find my own place.

wow... midnight curfiew at 22... I wouldn't have lasted 6 months. ;D
I still live with my folks too, I'm 23 and working on my engineering degree so I'm staying home to be able to afford school...
My biggest issue is I have their entire garage filled with my projects (2 bikes and my S10). :D

... and on that note, Putting a V8 in your ranger?? Sick.
I'm working on doing a couple of things to my S10 once I get it fully repaired (actually I lowered it 3" this weekend)... but with gas the way it is I would consider selling it for a 4 banger before I put an even BIGGER motor in there (4.6 V6 now).

Back
Top Bottom