78 GS1000 restore

crackerman

Been Around the Block
Picked this up the the other day. 78 GS1000, 41,000 miles, runs good, new tires, electric ignition, title, and she's pretty much all there. Drove it around the block, seems ok. I'll be keeping her mostly original.

Currently rebuilding the brakes. Most likely the orginal brake lines, so those are trash and the master cylinders are full of crap. Not sure how the brakes worked at all.

I took a ton of pictures are I figured I can reference them when I can't figure out where something goes.

4 Weeks ago:

Brake needed a major overhaul. Lots of brown dogshiet in these calipers. Good times:

The new brake lines are in just need a new front brake master cylinder. I could rebuild the old one, but I think it would cost me more money then getting a new one.

Z2Z said:
Nice, looks great just the way it is.

I agree as well. I've torn it down to the frame and I'm going to build it back up using most of the same parts. Any thing worn will be getting replaced but for a bike with 41,000 miles, she's in really good shape.

Nice project. Did the same for a friend a little while ago:

http://www.ianfox.net.au/projects/gs1000/gs01.htm

Ours had the mag wheels and twin disks up front. I prefer your spokes ;-)

Is the double-disc set-up an option for you? because these things take a while to slow down :-O

cheers
ian

bikeboy said:
Nice project. Did the same for a friend a little while ago:

http://www.ianfox.net.au/projects/gs1000/gs01.htm

Ours had the mag wheels and twin disks up front. I prefer your spokes ;-)

Is the double-disc set-up an option for you? because these things take a while to slow down :-O

cheers
ian

Great link. I'll def reference that. Did you send you engine out for cleaning or did you do it in house?

It's only a single disk up front, but it's a pretty easy setup up if I want to go dual. I'll leave it the original single for now.

Frame, swingarm, triple tree, and other bits are at the powder coater. Should have them back soon. In the meantime I've been going through the carbs. They were actually weren't bad at all. I'm shining them up, replacing the gaskets and O-rings. Everything else looks good. Here's a shot of the before.

Here's after a soak and wire wheel.

crackerman said:
Great link. I'll def reference that. Did you send you engine out for cleaning or did you do it in house?

Yeah, did it myself.

Those carbs came up real nice.

cheers
ian

Hi, nice finish on the carbs . What do you mean by soak and wire wheel? Soak in carbcleaner and wire wheel on a dremmel type tool?

Man do I wish I still had mine. It was one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned, and get those things towards redline and they hit warp speed. My friends called mine "the couch". Don't let that get away from you, you'll regret it as most of us who've owned them do...

chirpy998 said:
Hi, nice finish on the carbs . What do you mean by soak and wire wheel? Soak in carbcleaner and wire wheel on a dremmel type tool?

Just soaked them in a bucket with some degreaser and water. Didn't really work too well but the carbs weren't really gummed up at all, just dirty on the outside. The fine wire wheel cleaned them up nicely. I need a small wire wheel brush for the dremel to get into the tight spots, but this work well on most of it.

Finally got my ultrasonic cleaner and the o-rings and gaskets came in. Finished putting the carbs back together this morning. Need to check my valve and clean up the engine. I should have the frame back tomorrow.

Before:

After:

crackerman said:
null_zpsf222d102.jpg

Wow. They came out really well. Is that 'after' pic straight out of the bath? I'm trying to get some of that simple green stuff here but so far no luck. At the moment I'm trying a vinegar/water mix but the results are disappointing.

cheers
ian

Frame and parts are back from the powdercoater. Assembled the brakes and some of the frame. Started cleaning the motor but it still looks shitty. Here's some shots.

All most a roller

The wheel were bothering me as they had minor surface rust and grim that I couldn't get at with my wire grinder. Decided to break the wheels down. Luckily all the spokes came loose and I was able to reuse everything. I've never respoked a wheel before so after a bunch of research and a ton of pictures, I bit the bullet and disassemble them. Figured this was a good time to update the bearings to some new sealed ones. Spent at least 4 hours cleaning, just on the rear wheel. Spokes shined like new, hubs and rim cleaned up ok. I think I trued them right, but I'm going to have a pro look them over just to be safe.

Before:

Front:

Breakdown:

Finished:

Due to the cold weather this has been a slow build. I did a little painting of the rotors and some other bits the other day, but they didn't come out great as it was too cold. Finished rebuilding the wheels, trued them myself, and brought them to a pro to make sure I did it right. Told me I they were really good so I'm confident I can lace and true on my own now. Waiting on the warmer weather to paint the engine.

Nice Skunk!! Glad you are going for the resto route on that one. Mighty desireable in stock trim these days. she'll be alooker for sure.

Finally finished up the engine. Dropped her in last night. I was pretty happy I didn't drop the engine on my foot as I had to install myself.

Slowly getting her back together piece by piece. Got the chain installed today and some little bits painted. Should go pretty quick from here as most of the stuff is ready to go on the bike. Gotta do some minor work to the wiring harness, but that will go on next. Exhaust just needs a little cleaning.

Nice build. I also have a '78 GS1000 that I'm doing a bit of a resto-mod on. Ill be sure to bookmark this!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom