the new guy. CB100 first custom

Awesome! Following along. I'm also balls deep in a 125 rebuild. That tank-cowl you made is pretty neat.

Ok so Iv been a slowly plugging away at the tail section.
Iv fabbed and install brackets inside the rear cowl, built the bottom panel with built in mud guard and enough to clearence for a full bump bottom out. Quite happy with how it looks ATM although a flat underside would have looked better it wasn't practical. Still a lot of dressing/finishing work to do. Then I started on the seat pan.
I'm working on making it watertight and removable with 2minutes with an Allen key. Once the seat is off you have access into the cowl. Some space for tools but mostly electronics hidden. The cowl can also be removed in 2 minutes.

Cheers
Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
alright, i had a full day to myself so i cleaned up the cowl and seat pan. buttoned everything up, got the bike out in the open, stood back and it was wrong. the mug guard resess wasnt right. somehow it was off centre. and if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing twice.
if you have never used those but weld panel clamps, you dont know what your missing. you simply cant do panel work without them.
re-work completed, i moved on to designing my rear set brackets.

im using the centre stand pivot and the old foot brake pivot as my two mounting points.

I will also have a secondary pivot outboard of the centre stand pivot to to change the direction & increase sweep for rear brake activation.

I will not run a side stand (centre stand only) and I will work out the exhaust after pegs and brakes.

the brackets will be made of 25mm round bar drilled to size for spacers (a neat fit hear will put max shear and min bending on the pivot. these will be welded to 5mm plate fabricated into a z shape to give desired location.

im not I a hurry to get them made. just needed to design them so I can move on with frame prep.

paten penddding. ;D

cheers
Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 296
Gluing the foam to the seat pan.
I'm using closed cell foam 25mm thick. In layers glued together with spray adhesive.
Little hint. It's a yoga mat. There cheaper than actual seat foam but exactly the same product. Most of the roughing out will be with flap disc on grinder the. Hand sand the final shape.
I'll outsource the leather cover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 290
sorry all, its been a while sinse my last post.
iv been a little distracted with life and stuff like an impromtue rebuild of my car engine and designing a house.
iv been finishing and cleaning and painting and test fitting in little bits of spare time.
re assembly has begun but i keep finding things that arnt ready yet and paint takes sooo long to dry.
the frame, swing arm and stand are powder coated.
i made my own oversized swingarm bushes from delrin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 285
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 300
Nice work man. Those rearsets are going to look sweet when you are done.

yere it's getting there.
Some weeks I only get 1hr for the bike. Others I'll put in 20hrs.
the pic of a pile of part sitting on the eski shows the stuff I had powder coated.
I also got a pair of wheels blasted but I will 2 pack them.
I'm test fitting my second set of wheels to check clearance for what size tyres to buy at the moment.

What material are you going to make your rear set brackets from? I am really interested in how they come out as I am considering going that direction. It appears that they will mount to the two inside points on the lower frame. Also, will you have interference with the kick starter with the non folding right foot peg?

I made the brackets from 6mm Alloy plate.
I am mounting them on the centre stand pivot and the old foot brake pivot.
they have a gusset type spine welded down the back for strength.
ill try to get some better pics tonight. the left side is a slightly different shape to clear the chain and the gusset is actually bigger so I can mount a nylon pad for the chain to run/bounce on.

on the RHS the rear brake rod will need to attach with a clevis and not the offset rose joint pictured here just to fix up some alignment.

custom or modified bits in this close up are.

-removed rear pegs.
-oversized Delrin (plastic) swing arm bushed.
-rear brake activation tie rod (both left and right hand threads)
-rear set brackets. spaced off frame with alloy spacers.
-rear brake activation pivot lever to change direction of force and multiply travel.
-centre stand lower spring mount location rotated around for alignment and clearance.
-custom slim line over centre cam spring bracket and mount for alignment and clearance.
-centre stand also has an over travel stop on it.

the pegs and levers will also be spaced out off the brackets with matching left and right tie rods & rose joints.

as for your question regarding the kick starter.
I dummied up the location of the pegs with the engine in and the kicker only just fouls so I plan on bending the kicker to get it to work?
if I cant make it work and look good ill graft in a folding peg.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 288
i had to take the brackets off to get the lower engine bolt through so i grabed some photos while i was at it.

iv ordered the tyres so started painting the wheels.
i have two sets, so i got the pair with rubbish chrome blasted and will 2pak black them.

i can still bolt on the chrome set to see which i like.
this is my garage/home made spray booth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 280
Wheels painted, everything reassembled. Really happy with how it's going.
Now it looks like a bike again at least.
Lots of fiddley stuff now. Like making and mounting the electronics tray in the rear cowl and wire her up but time will be hard to come by with a sick misses and a busy time at work. Also it's really cold in my shed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 248
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 251
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 248
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 252
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 252
Nice work Roots,I like the spray work you're doing in your booth;is that black epoxy paint or another type ?
Did you have those Delrin rear swingarm bushings made custom for you? I still have the oem Honda rubber stock style and then torque them down so they flex type in my CB125S.

The paint is single stage 2pak. I'm not a painter so don't no much more than that. I just went to a good car paint supply store and had a chat. They sold me products that would work together.
I'm really happy with the results strait off the gun.
As for the bushes. I purchased a length of delrin bar and borrowed a mates lathe. I'm a fitter n turner by trade. I made my own sleeves and turned down the bushes.
They are oversized because the swing arm had a kink in it so I had to cut off the original ends and make new. The tube I had was bigger so hense oversized.

Back
Top Bottom