Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way- 73 TX500

I suppose it depends on how bad the cracks get, but I know guys that have welded up aluminum heads before. I'm not super worried about the original head because the other one isn't cracked. Not that it doesn't need work, but it doesn't need welding, so the rest is just cake.

Did I say "until I get a better job"?

I got some very good news today- I've been offered my old job back! This is a HUGE shot in the arm for this project. It'll be a few months before I'm comfortable spending money on anything but the necessities, but I had to share the good fortune! I hope y'all can be patient while I get my life back together...

Thats great to hear man !

Awesome! Congrats! Glad to hear some GOOD news once and a while! Can't wait for more on this, I've enjoyed the build so far.

I want to thank you guys for the encouragement. I'm thinking I'm not going to do too much this winter on the bike, but I'll post pics of any parts I collect before it gets warm again. The garage I have the bike stored in is not heated, so patience is the order of the day. I can't paint it, I don't have the camchain tool so I can replace the head, and the wiring will take weeks, which I will NOT do in the cold. I'm kind of glad, though. The more I force myself to take things slow, the better the final result will be, right?
Oh- I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a 2-into 1 pipe? They're pretty thin on the ground. :-\

007-15.jpg

Yeah, I know I said I wouldn't be comfortable spending a ton of cash just yet, but ctluba had these great gold-and-black piggyback shocks for sale on the forum, and the price was right. Soooooooo.... Yeah.
I picked up all the necessities for re-doing the harness as well. Shrinkwrap, terminals, even a really nice fuse box for blade-type fuses. Oh, and I got an AGM battery. My final draft of the caliper carrier is ready, I have new pads for the caliper, all kinds of good stuff that has to wait until spring. Maybe I can at least take my spare head to the machine shop.....

Wait til you see them on the bike! I can't believe my good fortune coming across these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170574045325?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You could have paid $100 shipped for them brand new.

So, I have a bit of a dilemma... I had resigned myself to making my own ignition from bits from the Pertronix kit for VW's, but I received an email today from Newtronic saying the kit for the TX/XS500 is available to preorder. For double the price. I have to admit, I'm tempted. Just fit it and quit it, right? Before I make up my mind, what do y'all think? I had heard the Newtronic units were not so reliable.

Incorpiratedx, thanks for the info, I'm okay with 10 bucks more for a forum member. Plus, the shocks I got are the length (15 plus inches) I wanted for my bike. The ones you pointed out were shorter than my stock shocks.

Looking good, I'm always checking your thread for encouragement
:) Cheers

The bike is looking good. You mentioned earlier you wanted a bit of a wrenchmonkees look and with that tank and tail I think you've got it going on.

two-smoker said:
So, I have a bit of a dilemma... I had resigned myself to making my own ignition from bits from the Pertronix kit for VW's, but I received an email today from Newtronic saying the kit for the TX/XS500 is available to preorder. For double the price. I have to admit, I'm tempted. Just fit it and quit it, right? Before I make up my mind, what do y'all think? I had heard the Newtronic units were not so reliable.
Buy the Newtronics!!

I'd buy a Dyna S and modify teh backing plate, but if you are not comfortable with changing a brand new expensive part, go with the Newtronics.

I just wanted to post a quick update, even though I haven't been working on the bike. I heard back from Newtronic, and there are 4 ignition units available... I want one, but being so close to Christmas, I don't have the extra cash right now. And that really sucks. I wrote back, and the fella I have been corresponding with said just to write when I'm ready, so I'm going to just hope one will still be available after all the Holiday hoopla is over with.
Of course, if none are available then, that's just an omen that I should make my own... So we'll see!
downloadfile-2.jpg
Ain't it pretty?

It has been a while! I haven't actually been working on the bike, but I did start amassing parts again. Starting with a new oil filter adaptor I found on ebay! Why bother you may ask? Because it's the Yamaha adaptor to fit an updated filter, which means I can run to any auto parts store and pick up a standard PH6607 filter whenever I need one, instead of scouring Ebay for NOS filters from Yamaha. I also called up the machine shop about my replacement head, and I'll be dropping it off on Wednesday. That's all for now... But spring is right around the corner!

Back
Top Bottom