www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Dream 50 -> CB125T!  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Letze

Re: Dream 50 -> CB125T!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2012, 23:45:00 »
lovely, I read your 360 build quite a wile back and I have faith that you will turn this bike into a wonderful alternative.

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2012, 23:51:10 »
Nakazoto - I love the look of these bikes!

I couldn't get a Dream but I did get one of these:

Crazy
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Offline Nakazoto

« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2012, 19:18:29 »
Holy cow!  What an entrance!

It's a shame they never offered the Dream 50 for sale in North America (or really anywhere outside Japan so far as I know).  You could pick one up as a race-only bike, never able to put it on the road.

Welcome to DTT, and to the crazy world of vintage bikes.  Looks like you're digging right into the 125!  Would love to see more info on that Honda Solo too - oddball looking thing that is.  Oh the fun we could have with a mono-shock tiny bike.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for checking out my build!  The Dream 50 would be an excellent around town bike.  In downtown you never break 80 km/h anyways, so the Dream would be right in its element. 

The Honda Solo is one of my favorite looking 50s ever made!  It's a relatively new bike, going on sale in 2003.  It has a 50 cc four stroke that produces 3.5 hp at 7,500 and a 3-speed semi-automatic transmission (not sure how this works, but you shift with your foot like normal except there is no clutch).  One of my favorite things about the bike, aside from the monoshock rear, are the full size 18 inch wheels.  Just cause its a scooter doesn't mean it has to have tiny wheels.  I would absolutely love to buy one of these and drop my spare Dream engine into it.  You can pick them up second hand for anywhere from 100,000 yen to 300,000 yen.  Unfortunately, with the seat so close to the handlebars, you end up sitting bolt upright and looking a little goofy.  Still, once you park it and step off, it looks great!

Here's a link to the Honda sales data (all in Japanese unfortunately):
http://www.honda.co.jp/news/2003/2030305-solo.html

A friend of ours in MI had one. I have no idea if he ever rode it, but it looked awesome in his dining room.

Thanks for checking out my build!  Did your friend have an HRC version or a standard Dream50?  The HRC version was, as Tim said, a racing only version that lacked a headlight, turn signals, air cleaner, battery, etc.  It had a special CDI in it that increased the rev limit from 13,000 to 14,500.  The engine also had a lot of work as well such as a light flywheel, high compression piston, aggressive cams, bigger valves, bigger carb, long velocity stack, etc.  Aside form the lack of headlight and blinkers, the biggest giveaway is the frame and tank color.  All Dream 50s came with a red frame and silver tank.  The Dream 50 Special Editions had a black frame with a red tank.  The HRC versions had the black frame of the special edition and the silver tank from the regular version.  By far the best color combo.

lovely, I read your 360 build quite a wile back and I have faith that you will turn this bike into a wonderful alternative.

Awesome!  I can't believe that I would run into someone on DTT that's read my Mitsubishi thread!  That car was a blast to build, but it's difficult to drive regularly.  Plus, I enjoy building them more than I enjoy driving them, haha.  Thank you for the kind words and I hope I can turn this CB Dream into something special!  Most of my time now is split between working on this bike and working on an Isuzu Bellett.  I'm in the weird crappy bodywork slump on the Bellett, but hopefully, after Christmas, it'll have paint on it and I can really start getting to the fun work!

Nakazoto - I love the look of these bikes!

I couldn't get a Dream but I did get one of these:

Crazy

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Sky Team Ace 125, right?  I've often wondered how interchangeable some of the parts would be between the two bikes.  It would be awesome to take one of those and use things like the Dream disc brake rear, outer race springs on the front fork, etc.  Still, it's a faithful recreation and all the reviews about them seem to say they're well built motorcycles.  That frame with a CB125T engine might be a lot of fun to build too!

Thanks again everyone for reading my build!  After I get the heaters pulled out and set up in my garage (winter is finally setting in here in Nagoya) I'll get back out there and get some more work done!

Regards,
David

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2012, 21:48:16 »
David - you're right, it is an 'Ace'.  The build quality is quite reasonable and the geometry is spot on; steers really well with no bad behaviour.  If the motor doesn't last I will probably replace it with a two-stroke single.  I have an early-style fairing on the way which might add little to the top-end speed (or not!).

Crazy

Offline Nakazoto

« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2012, 19:17:00 »
David - you're right, it is an 'Ace'.  The build quality is quite reasonable and the geometry is spot on; steers really well with no bad behaviour.  If the motor doesn't last I will probably replace it with a two-stroke single.  I have an early-style fairing on the way which might add little to the top-end speed (or not!).

Crazy

That Ace is definitely a good looking bike and it's good to hear that they got the geometry spot on.  It's just begging for a better engine though, haha.  I think whenever I get done building this one, I might drop a fairing on it as well.  My goal is to actually do the ton with a 125.  Not sure if it's possible, but with a good fairing, I might have a decent shot at it!

Alright, I finally found the PC cable and battery charger to my old Sony Cybershot, so no more cell pics from the shop.  Naturally, I had to take a test shot to see how it'd do.

Not super pretty, but much better than my poor cell could handle.  So, next, I got to work on the left side peg.  After some welding, cutting and re-welding, I got it lined up just about even with the right side peg.

And me mocking up where the shifter is going to sit about.

Now that i had two pegs I couldn't resist but sitting on it and seeing how it felt as a package.  This is about how it will sit in finished form, the only thing that will change will be the handlebars as I have some clip-ons on the way.  This thing fits me like a glove.  The pegs are almost at the perfect height and are plenty comfortable.  The whole thing feels great!

I need to shave...  With the left side peg mounted, I got to work mounting the rear brake master cylinder.  I created a little L-Bracket, tacked it on and then bolted the brake master to it to get a feel for positioning.

The problem with having it in this position is that it is a bit too far away from the pedal, so it needs to have an extension.  It's also slightly further outboard than the pedal, so the extension needs a kink in it. 

A trip to the hardware store found me with a turnbuckle (or whatever the proper name is) and some stainless steel all thread.  A little heat and a lot of muscle and I ended up with this:

This is looking down from the top and you can see the kink I put in the stainless.

This works fantastically and pushes on the master rather well.  It sits a little low, but I don't think I'll ever lean the bike over that far, and if I do it's probably because I've fallen off.  Here's a shot from a little further away.

With that handled, I started on the shift linkage.  I took the original linkage off of the Dream and bolted it up.  I ran into two problems.  The first was that the wider engine sits further outboard than dream, meaning the linkage needs a kink in it.  The second was that the linkage was a bit too short.  So, another turnbuckle and stainless steel all thread were ordered up to do the trick.

Here you can see the kink in the original shift linkage.

This shifts amazingly well.  It just pops up and down through the gears like it was meant to be like this.

The only problem with it is that the side stand gets in the way when it's up.  This is because the side stand sits further outboard than the Dream 50s side stand.  I'll have to find a way to tackle that problem sometime in the future.  For now, though, this is as far as I've gotten.

Thanks for reading guys!
Cheers
David 

Offline Highwind

« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2012, 22:29:30 »
hey man are those custom gas tanks?

Offline Nakazoto

« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2012, 19:57:00 »
hey man are those custom gas tanks?

The gas tank is actually the Honda factory original gas tank from the Honda Dream 50 (the little 50 cc scooter that I pulled nearly all my parts from).  You can still find them on Yahoo Auctions, but they're quite expensive, generally pulling in around 35,000 yen!

So, I took last Thursday off and Friday was the Japanese version of Thanksgiving.  This resulted in a nice 4-day long weekend which really let me get to work.  Since finding quality Turkey in Japan is like finding the lost city of Atlantis, I decided to keep myself busy in the garage with my Bellett and the CB!

My first step was to get the reservoir for the brake master mounted, which meant welding a nut to a tab.  This piece of steel was cut the size and shape I needed and then I ran a stainless bolt through it with a non-stainless nut on the other end.

I then pulled out the welder and welded that nut right in place!

Here it is welded and mounted into place.

And a shot from a little further back.  The hose has a slight kink in it which will get fixed with a longer piece of hose during final installation.

With the rear brake mostly sorted (I still have a little more welding to do to be completely done) I started in on the front brake.  My first problem is that I'm broke, I've got zero yen.  So instead of finding an appropriate piece of thick aluminum for my front caliper mounting bracket I was left digging through my scrap pile looking for something suitable.  The only piece of metal I found thick enough to do the job was the old brake rotor from the CB.  Since it was pretty pooched already, I didn't feel bad about tearing into it.

That took four cut off wheels.  I had no idea that brake disc steel was so insanely tough!  Here's the piece I ended up with.

And roughly where it will sit.

I needed to put three 8mm holes in it, so I pulled out my cheap Chinese drill bit and watched the brake rotor laugh at it.

After a trip to the hardware store and a couple of good bits later, I finally had my holes.  I then cut off all the excess steel and cleaned the whole bracket up a bit.

Turned out alright if I do say so myself!

Here it is holding the caliper in place.

Now the problem with this is that the top of the caliper sits just a bit too close to the rotor.  95% of the pad is exactly where I want it to be so my plan was to just not worry about it (since moving the top of the caliper out is a hugely difficult task).  The problem was the clearance between the caliper and the rotor itself.  Clearance was tight here to begin with, but moving the top of the rotor in caused it to be too tight for my comfort.

So, I worked on it a bit and ended up with this, giving me the clearance I need.  I figure I'll do some test rides like this (on a nice long straight where I can stop using the rear brake if I have to) and if it bothers me then I'll go through the trouble of making a new bracket again.

The next thing that was bothering me was the gas tank.  The front of it was sitting a little too low for my liking.  So, I sliced off the old mounts, filled in the holes, drilled new holes and welded in a new bolt.

The result was instantly noticeable.  I think it looks much, much better!

And a shot from a little further away.

And that's where it sits at the moment.  The next goal is to sort the exhaust, which is going to be interesting.  Since my new rear sets sit much lower than the originals, space for an exhaust is tight.  Space on the left side of the bike with the side stand and shift linkage is nearly non-existent.  This is pushing me towards running a scrambler style exhaust (well, that and the fact that I love scrambler style exhausts).  It all depends on what I can get my hands on for cheap.  There's a decent used scrambler style exhaust on Yahoo Auctions at the moment for 2,000 yen, which is about the same as three beers, so I may take a chance on it.

At any rate, thanks for reading guys and I'll be back with more progress as it happens!

Cheers,
David

Offline cobraace2

« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2012, 22:15:26 »
Wow  fantastic i love the dream 50 in the states it was sold as a racing only not street legal . great work cant wait to see final results . what is your location ?

Offline Nakazoto

« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2012, 19:27:24 »
Wow  fantastic i love the dream 50 in the states it was sold as a racing only not street legal . great work cant wait to see final results . what is your location ?
Thanks for the comment!  It's a shame the Dream 50 would be a nightmare to import, because I'd love to build one using the engine from a CBX125F.  That would be a monster!  I'm currently located in Nagoya, Japan.  Here they sold both the street version and the HRC built racing version.  Although, finding an HRC version is extremely difficult.   

Alright, so while waiting for bondo to harden on my Bellett, I did some minor work on the CB!

First, I received a package in the mail.  Inside were these beautifully made clip ons!

And here they are clipped on!

I'm not sure I like them so high up, but they're just mounted there temporarily.  Once I can roll it outside and really get a feel for where they sit, I'll adjust them further.

Next the exhaust saga begins!  You can see in the background of two of the pics above a nice scrambler exhaust leaning against the wall.  I bought this with the intention of modifying it to fit and having this cool scrambler exhaust.  Well, it was just different enough that it would take a lot of cutting and welding to fit.  I figured that if I was going to be cutting and welding, I should just use the factory pipes, since they're already going to be scrapped and are the perfect size.  So, I busted out my cut off wheel and grinder and got to cutting.  I was shocked to find out that the exhaust was double walled (as was my cut off wheel which didn't last for very many cuts).  This nasty brown (read: rusty) pipe was inside of the larger silver piping.

The exhaust would flow through this smaller piping instead and the larger pipe was just for looks.  Also, and this was the really shocking bit, the smaller pipe was crimped in the center blocking flow almost completely.

Exhaust was supposed to flow through this!  It's about the same collective size as a drinking straw.  I'm not really sure what purpose this would serve other than to officially neuter the performance of the engine.

After throwing all that piping away, I was left with a nice collection of curves and straights.

Now, I was trying to think what kind of exhaust to go with.  I had my heart set on a scrambler exhaust for two reasons really.  The first being that with the shift linkage and new peg locations, there's not a whole lot of room on the bottom half of the bike anymore.  If I were to run an exhaust that way, it would have to be a two into one and tuck right under the brake lever.  The second reason was that I think scrambler exhausts are just damn cool!  So, with a little bit of planning and grinder work, I got started on making a completely custom scrambler exhaust.

The curves won't be perfectly smooth and the entire exhaust will most likely be a little turbulent, but when compared to the pea shooter of an exhaust before, it should flow immensely better.  Also, not really going for an all out screamer here, just something that tucks up and hides nicely.

I am liable in the future to rip all this out and start again, but for now, I'll continue down this path and see what kind of craziness I can come up with!  That's as far as I've come so far though.

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2012, 20:32:38 »
With that exhaust it's a wonder the bike could breathe at all!

Crazy

Offline Nakazoto

« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2012, 02:19:51 »
With that exhaust it's a wonder the bike could breathe at all!

Crazy

It's definitely insane!  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.  It really makes me wonder what other weird tricks are pulled inside of other factory exhausts. 

Offline Nakazoto

« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2012, 18:53:55 »
A bite sized update this morning!  I got another two pieces welded on to the exhaust.

It's slowly starting to take shape and really go the way I want it to.

It actually took a bit of work for these two pieces.  I welded them on and just hated how it was turning out.  So I sliced them right back off, cleaned it all up again and took another shot at it.  I'm glad I did because I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Next up is continuing these two pieces around the side and then figuring out how to build a collector from scratch.  Fortunately, it only has to collect two pipes, so it shouldn't be too hard!

Cheers
David

Offline Highwind

« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2012, 21:17:45 »
can you find those tanks easily?