CL175 sporty-resto

Im back!

Just went and grabbed the bike from its summer home while I was away.

First thing is to pull the engine (again) and open it up (again) and see why its leaking from the cylinder mounting surface. I know I didn't knick it or gouge it when cleaning the surface, and I know I torqued everything to specs. I hope it isn't warped and its just something simple.

Any helpful thoughts or suggestions?

Akastus said:
Im back!

Just went and grabbed the bike from its summer home while I was away.

First thing is to pull the engine (again) and open it up (again) and see why its leaking from the cylinder mounting surface. I know I didn't knick it or gouge it when cleaning the surface, and I know I torqued everything to specs. I hope it isn't warped and its just something simple.

Any helpful thoughts or suggestions?

What brand gaskets did you use ?

grcamna5 said:
What brand gaskets did you use ?

Hmmmmm, I dont remember. Its been a while. I think it was the NE brand in the blue packaging. I think it came with the bike

Akastus said:
Hmmmmm, I dont remember. Its been a while. I think it was the NE brand in the blue packaging. I think it came with the bike

I've used china-gaskets before but they leaked right away.I then sourced some Vesrah gaskets which are the same excellent quality as oem,Made in Japan.

Do you have dowels around the bottom of any Head/barrel studs? If so, assemble the barrels to the cases without a gasket or pistons and make sure that they are not too long and are not propping up the barrel.

grcamna5 said:
I've used china-gaskets before but they leaked right away.I then sourced some Vesrah gaskets which are the same excellent quality as oem,Made in Japan.

Yeah, i figured it may be the gasket itself. Im just going to go with an OEM gasket or Vesrah just to be sure. The gasket kit was convenient, thats all :(

teazer said:
Do you have dowels around the bottom of any Head/barrel studs? If so, assemble the barrels to the cases without a gasket or pistons and make sure that they are not too long and are not propping up the barrel.

See, this is why I ask here. You guys always have something I would have never thought about! Yet another thing to add to my list of stuff to check. Thanks!

The china-gaskets are usually thinner than oem or Vesrah and don't have much 'crush-room' built in to them.I have used Vesrah gaskets over again when i didn't have another handy along w/ oem stock;you could never do that w/ a china-gasket.The material they use is inferior too.

well, i began to take the bike apart tonight (been busy with work). I discovered the source of my oil leak right after I removed the starter.

One of the piston rings snapped and is lodged in the gasket area, sticking out for the world to see.

Dammit, I was not expecting that. I was careful when reassembling the engine too! Guess it's off to buy some new rings and see how bad the gouge is in the mating surface. I cant believe I didn't see that when putting the engine into the frame, or when mounting the starter back on...

I have never made mistakes like that before :(

Engines open, mating surface is gouged. :(

Half of the oil ring is missing too! guess ill go fishing. Man, what a punch in the nuts!

Devcon would be better and a set of cases without gouges would be perfect, but we work with what we have unless we have replacements or the damage is too bad to repair economically.

Back
Top Bottom