KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Still waiting on a few bits and bobs but El Verdito is pretty much a wrap. It's running great with the stock jets all the way through the throttle positions, but think there's some room for improvement. Got some shots yesterday -

nanhPJQ.jpg

xBX9NpA.jpg

jaXBIm8.jpg

NitBPo1.jpg

0rs1xys.jpg

Summer's looming large, time to have at it 8)

Man, the KLR is the tits. The green and steel combo works perfectly together.

Thanks gents, and thanks again for all the help making it happen. And as much for my shite memory's sake as anything else, here's a list of everything that was done -

- bike stripped, frame powder coated - new swingarm bearings
- forks seals replaced
- front and rear brake callipers rebuilt, rear brake master cylinder rebuilt
- valve shims checked and replaced where necessary, new gaskets and seals throughout engine and oil galleries
- "doohickey" (idler shaft lever on the counterbalance chain) replaced with Eagle Mike lever and torsion spring
- oil pump rebuilt
- engine bored to 685, stock piston replaced with Wossner piston and rings, steel 3 ply head gasket
- cooling system cleaned and rebuilt
- carb cleaned, new vacuum slide (from HD), rebuilt with DynoJet needle and jet - then rebuilt again back to stock...somewhat a work in progress
- Lexx muffler and midpipe - header sandblasted and repainted
- modified airbox, snorkel removed
- upgraded rear subframe bolts
- new choke assembly and cable, new clutch cable
- restored fairings and headlight cowl
- inside tank de-crapped, rust removed, tank paint stripped, steel brushed and 2K gloss cleared
- new petcock, fuel lines, fuel filter
- KLX front fender and fork boots
- handmade KLR badges and other stainless steel snazzy panels
- painted side panels
- Shinko 705 tires
- Moose Racing aluminium bars, Renthal grips, Ken Sean folding mirrors
- new battery, all fluids replaced, new fuses
- side stand safety switch disabled

... might be some more things, I'll add to this list when the old grey matter kicks in again after lunch.

Mighty kind of you my man, thank you. Looking like a weekend of rain so might squeak out from behind the desk and take her out for a stretch.

Fired up the CB as well yesterday - almost forgot how much I love that bike. Got a chronic RSI in my elbow from the clutch last year - managed to re-route the cable and play around with various levers on the bars and really freed it up. Much better.

Now need to work on my stunt bike skills so I can ride them both at once.

Right on - BOTM nomination. Alright! This feeling will never get old...

Here are a couple of close-ups. Apart from the mechanical work and modifications, I think of all the aesthetic work I did on the bike it's the combination of the restored lime green fairings with the brushed steel that float my boat the most. If green's your thing, you can never have enough of it.

umC7ZZP.jpg

8ASgFuO.jpg

BNOR0V1.jpg

Mechanics-wise, the big bore and lighter piston not only piles on the torque but also smoothes out the vibrations that these thumpers are known for. The Lexx exhaust by the way (apart from shedding a few pounds from stock), sounds bloody fantastic. Riding the thing's an absolute riot. But yeah - this thing needs to see some dirt.

KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Cheers guys, really appreciate that

And here I am, standing on the shoulders of giants once more

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Just finished reading your build... Kudos!

Cheers man, appreciate it

Learnt a ton during this build - still need to work on the carb a bit but man this thing's got some go. I don't know much about power bands and all that but now it has a bigger cylinder it really changes the way the thing moves, especially at speed. Had it on some quiet highway the other day, got her up to 115, 120 - grabbed a handful of throttle and the thing erupted. Just got masses of torque and velocity that I wasn't expecting. Hoping for, but not expecting.

Granted, the brakes are a little squishy, but think that's probably got a lot to do with the decades old brake lines. Teeing up some braided lines as we speak.

Ok, shit - I f*cking love this thing. 300kms today - 160kmph no drama on the highway and finally found some dirt. Didn't get shot at by a farmer but think it could've gone either way.

uFw6Ns1.jpg

NJKF4aU.jpg

V75V3a5.jpg

uQXoaGK.jpg

Fairly confident that my clutch cable is on its last legs but holding off buying a new one until I decide on the bars. The Moose bars I bought are both too low and too narrow - I've found some ATV bars that are a close match to stock. The clutch is a little stiff - hoping when I spring for the new bars not only will the ride be more comfortable but the extra few inches will soften up the clutch cable too.

This bike is the nuts.

Those purple flowers in the second shot? No fluke. Thought about riding right through them too but, well, you know. Nature.

Awesome. Waiting for the river crossing...

Looking good Jim. Looks like you found the right roads, too.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Got the bundle clamp/p clamp/d clamp/cable clamp dammit and installed the tool tube I picked up on kijiji for a song -

3t7CA5Q.jpg

53WsB9K.jpg

The clamp secures the lower part of the tube and the upper part bolts on to the frame with a bit of finagling. These tubes are great, waterproof and tough as nails. I dumped the bike in the middle of a lettuce field over the weekend and absolutely no harm done - in fact the mud and shit looks way better on the KLR than it did in that guy's field. Skinned my knee - I consider both me and the bike now blooded.

Need to knock up some kind of tool roll and then I'll totally look the part. Even have a set of tire irons that I have absolutely no idea how to use.

Back
Top Bottom