GSXR/Katana 750 engine in a GS550?

scott s said:
What do you mean "spread the frame"?

And I don't want to open up a box 'o' snakes, but talk to me about pods on the Katana 750 engine. I hear that the cams and carbs on the Kat 750 make it horrible to tune, but GSX-R cams and/or earlier carbs are easier to fit pods.

The later engines are designed for the wider tires such that the chainline is moved out from the centerline. As such the crosstubes in the frame get cut out so the double hoops can be moved apart. I would need to pull out old parts but I would say this frame was widened ¾ish. Even still I think in my case the 630 chain on this will be changed to a 520 so it will not drag on the frame.
I am not the one to answer on the tuning with these BS carbs, yet. Myself, I do not like riding with CV carbs and will be changing these out for RS or TM series flatslides. And now with 3D printing I intend to print the front sides of an airbox providing nice velocity stacks with a proper plenum. Although this frame might be restrictive to do such. The 740 motor going in My '79 550 which has 29 smoothbore pumpers on it will get that style airbox.

Back
Top Bottom