Classic Motorcycle Sales Scams

DoKnowHarm

So, for about the last 3 years, I've been religiously scouring the interwebs for a BMW R90S and have come to learn something very frustrating about classified ads and human beings in general. I've busted my ass searching for a decently priced R90S. I sort through hundreds of search results looking for the best price. Take into consideration that is a LOT of my valuable hours spent staring at a fucking laptop screen, responding to ads, and replying to emails. Turns out, every single fucking ad that I have encountered is actually just some douche bag trying to scam people out of their hard earned money. It's always some story of how the bike is already "packaged up for transport" and the fucking title is sealed in with it. They want Cash on delivery but then the "shipping company" calls and says they require a $2000 deposit, that they couldn't secure it from the seller and it's the buyer's responsibility. Of course, no goddamn motorcycle would show up at my door.

So help me God, I am so entirely fucking fed up with scam artists that if one of you gives me enough information on one of them, I will ensure that they get what they deserve. I'm pissed the fuck off. In case you couldn't tell.

Nothing constructive to add but I feel your pain. Shady shady moto world that's only popularized by the media. Seems that just adding "cafe" to a description lately gives someone the right to rip them off of more $.

I'd suggest shutting off the computer and heading down to the next BMW "meet" and spend the time getting to know the local owner/riders.

IMO, spending time building a legit friendship with them will go a lot further towards finding a good deal on a good bike. :)

In the end, it's all about networking. Build yourself a solid network with some face-time too. :)

That's one of the problems of computer shopping. Its far too easy to scam people. And far too many people eager to be scammed. I've been looking for another truck. Sitting in front of the computer searching. I'm looking local. I am not in the mood to drive miles to look at a truck. Its transport. Nothing more. I saw one about 20 miles away and emailed. Got an immediate phone reply Sat. evening. The caller left a message. Its a dealer. I called today. I was told the truck was out on a test drive and someone was thinking about buying it. But if he didn't take it I could buy it. Call me back when you have news. An hour later I get a call to say the buyer is going to his bank to see about financing so if I want I could come out and see the truck and buy it if I like. Who are they kidding? I'll go out Friday morning and have a look. My money says its still there.

Hoofhearted said:
...And far too many people eager to be scammed...

Yup +1000. If something on Craigslist or Kijiji or what have you costs more than $20 it's cash, in person. I don't even understand buying vehicles on eBay to be honest. I'll happily drive 16 hours round-trip to buy parts from someone, meet a new enthusiast and have a fun road trip.

It's not just sellers looking to scam people. It's "so-called" buyers too. I have a Honda Rebel for sale right now. Almost brand new with 120 miles on it. (lady friend thought she wanted to ride. She too skeered! Even on a little rebel.)

I get an e-mail that says they want to pad the asking price by $100. They will arrange pick-up. All I have to do is take a pay pal payment, and someone will be around to pick up the bike....sight unseen no less!

I feel bad for the poor schmucks that fall for these scams

Mike Lawless said:
It's not just sellers looking to scam people. It's "so-called" buyers too. I have a Honda Rebel for sale right now. Almost brand new with 120 miles on it. (lady friend thought she wanted to ride. She too skeered! Even on a little rebel.)

I get an e-mail that says they want to pad the asking price by $100. They will arrange pick-up. All I have to do is take a pay pal payment, and someone will be around to pick up the bike....sight unseen no less!

I have had this offer many times and I say send the cash with the person picking it up and they always stop emailing. There is a well known fraud with Paypal on this one, buyer and seller beware.

They're out there. I have one, but you can't have it. :p

Attachments

• Vignette profile2 small.jpg
    Vignette profile2 small.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 196
I do a lot of kijiji-ing ( Canadian Craig's List ) and same shit on there. I like that someone will send you an email about the bike you want, currently in storage, and the amount is always an odd number eg. $2801. Makes it so believable.

Also "are you still interested?" helps to facilitate the scam. And not exclusive to bikes, I've gotten the same email, verbatim, in response to guitars, motorcycles and laptops ads. As if trying to find a decent vintage BMW isn't hard enough.

~T

Funny note. I currently have an ad on a couple near by kijiji cites looking for a BMW R series. And got an email from a guy asking if I had any responses and if anyone had a R90S for sale. Write your own ad, dude !

~T

I bought a car on eBay a few years ago. My wife wanted a particular car I found one on eBay. The auction ended NO SALE due to some SNAFU on the seller's part. I called him at the end of the auction and explained that my bid got blocked and I wanted the car. We agreed on a price, and then came the hard part. The car was in Tampa and I was two hours north of Atlanta. I told him, "I'm coming tomorrow with certified funds. Please pick me up at the airport." He seemed sure that I was a scam. I couldn't wait a day because of my work schedule. He seemed to have a problem with all of it, including a certified check. I sent a scan of my driver license, etc., then made the trip with my wife. The seller picked us up at the airport and we went to his house and made nice. We paid the money, signed the papers, and drove back to Georgia. Everybody HAPPY HAPPY. There are plenty of scammers out there, but even more good people.

Good luck in your motorcycle quest!

Yeah - A couple weeks back I saw an ad for sweet airhead for sale locally for not much and I was ready to pounce - cash in hand. I replied that night, got excited and mentally prepared myself for my possible new toy. So I started researching airheads more and noticed the same images from the ad popped-up in an Ebay sale that occurred a couple days prior in California. That bike had sold for 2.5 times as much (the realistic price). I pretty much knew it was a scam at that point. The robot reply the next day was from a different person that posted the ad and was a completely generic 'form' response. Damn you, internet scum!

Todd

Mike Lawless said:

That's the Nigerian Scam. They always agree to full asking price because they just have to have it this weekend for his son's birthday, blah, blah, blah. We'll send a check to you and even arrange pick up at your place. You get the check and it is a legit check that can be cashed. It's usually for thousands more than the purchase price. They contact you back and say their accounted included the shipping charges in the check by mistake and if you could just go cash the check and send the overage Western Union to the "shipper", and keep an extra $100 for the inconvenience. You cash the check, Western Union the money and guess what? 10 days later your bank is saying the check was fraudulent and they want their money back and you're screwed. The scam is all automated I found as I started to play the game with these thieves. When they accept the ad price I contact them and tell them it was typo and the price is actually 10x's that. They still agree to pay the price. I once replied with this heavy ripping response to what POS they are and how I hope they get run over by a bus. They replied " So happy to hear back from you and we are good with the price,etc.
I have over $250K worth of their worthless checks stapled to my office wall. I tell them I have a friend at the bank that allows me to cash checks at the bank without ID and I'm using their money to go to Hawaii this weekend. :D

jetmechmarty said:
I bought a car on eBay a few years ago. My wife wanted a particular car I found one on eBay. The auction ended NO SALE due to some SNAFU on the seller's part. I called him at the end of the auction and explained that my bid got blocked and I wanted the car. We agreed on a price, and then came the hard part. The car was in Tampa and I was two hours north of Atlanta. I told him, "I'm coming tomorrow with certified funds. Please pick me up at the airport." He seemed sure that I was a scam. I couldn't wait a day because of my work schedule. He seemed to have a problem with all of it, including a certified check. I sent a scan of my driver license, etc., then made the trip with my wife. The seller picked us up at the airport and we went to his house and made nice. We paid the money, signed the papers, and drove back to Georgia. Everybody HAPPY HAPPY. There are plenty of scammers out there, but even more good people.

Good luck in your motorcycle quest!

I liked reading this post ;) 8)

Back
Top Bottom