‘68 Honda CL450 - First Build

Got my helper cleaning parts!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
The cylinders are a bit scored. Can these be honed to remove those scratches?

Attachments

• IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
Re: ‘68 Honda CL450 - First Build

If you can catch any of those scores with your fingernail then you'll want to bore to the next size up.

Inside of the cylinders feels smooth and I don’t catch my fingernails on any scratches. Should I hone them or just leave them alone?

I'd say hone it to break the glaze and run it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Got the lower case cleaned, tolerances checked, and reassembled today. It took longer than I expected, but I don’t think losing most of the crankcase bearing roller pins into the wash basin helped!‍

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

Attachments

• IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 278
Last edited:
The top half of the case.

Im not picky, Budweiser is fine

Ha! Hint: Total rookie mistake...

Cam chain
Selector forks
Gear change cam
Anything else?

MiniatureNinja said:
If that isn't the top half in the photo something is way wrong
Ha, your right. Next round is on me.

Looks like I owe Teazer a beer!

I put the cam chain in after this was taken. What I forgot were the parts I left in the parts washer. Doh!

Guess I know what I’m doing this weekend...

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

Attachments

• IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 284

Build enough motors and you will learn from all the mistakes and forgotten parts.....

You're doing fine so far. Just take your time and be kind to yourself when something doesn't go the way you expected it to and you'll be fine.

Thanks Teazer. I figured I would be doing things a couple times at least. Just the first re-do of many to come...

I definitely had some case sealant squeeze out when I put the two halves together. I'm hoping I can do a better job this time and keep it clean on the inside this time.

Any suggestions/tips for getting the oil separator pan out? I wasn't able to get it out to fully clean the bottom of the case. Figure if I'm pulling it apart again I might as well try to get it totally clean.

I believe you just have to push the steel down to relieve the pressure on the rod, pull the rod out from the side to get those trays out.

Don't worry too much about it. I had to separate the cases on my first engine build 3 times. ;D

Looks like your has the two screws and four rivets to hold the windage tray in place. Earlier models had the long rod through them and were easier to remove.

You would have to drill out the rivets and probably best to tap the standoffs and use bolts in place of rivets.

Google CB450 windage and you will find some threads on hondaTwins forum.

Back
Top Bottom