1977 BMW R100/7 Sarcoplasmic Cow Hellride

Re: 1977 BMW R100/7 Miles Von Muncher Hellride

Yeah, I'd try pulling them out with studs. I want to try that on a little tank I have. Overpressure seems way to risky.

Seems I read about guys hot glueing nails as studs for pulling. Any truth to that process?

advCo said:
Nice find on the tank. I want to try using an inflatable cuff from a sphygmomanometer to push out dents from the inside.
Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I totally just googled "Sphygmomanometer" lol. You are a fancy one arent you.

trek97 said:
I totally just googled "Sphygmomanometer" lol. You are a fancy one arent you.

Hah! One of my former roommates is a paramedic, so I try to use the right words sometimes . Plus that is a cool one.

I have actually seen that technique work pretty well but it depends where the dents are, it needs to be able to push off the tunnel to be effective. I brazed studs to the old XL tank to pull the dents and had mild success with it.

Some of the paintless dent removal guys can push out tank dents with their equipment.

Maybe not the most exciting update, and much without pix. The rear main seal has been replaced, new rings and copper head gaskets. Also a new neutral indicator switch. Here she sits waiting on a starter rebuild, which should happen tomorrow...

7fbc750a15c38667c6d6eeff4f70ef92.jpg

One thing I figured out taking the motor apart- it was loved at some point. It clearly met service points, and it has an upgraded Thunderchild diode board. Most excellent-

97342c335b7edd2bf2b2ea92c200510d.jpg

The weirdness that is a BMW charging and ignition system...

5b2bda181d16dc73d20fc94a589617ca.jpg

The top pic really accentuates how wide those engines truly are. All stripped down no carbs or pipes and the bare frame. Bike looks almost as wide as it is long.

Youre doing great!

Is your dogs foot feeling better? And as coincidence would have it. Boomer woke up limping today. Rach had trimmed his nails and just nipped one of his pads...It may be infected. Shes keeping antibiotic cream on it til we can get him to the Dr. on Monday.

trek97 said:
The top pic really accentuates how wide those engines truly are. All stripped down no carbs or pipes and the bare frame. Bike looks almost as wide as it is long.

Youre doing great!

Is your dogs foot feeling better? And as coincidence would have it. Boomer woke up limping today. Rach had trimmed his nails and just nipped one of his pads...It may be infected. Shes keeping antibiotic cream on it til we can get him to the Dr. on Monday.
. Thanks, bud. Yeah, Benny's on antibiotics and doggy aspirin. He was walking on it within a day after we took him in. Turns out it was an infected nail, so you guys keep a good eye on it. The whole foot was swollen by the time I got him to the clinic. They can turn into tumors, too, so you have to really watch them even after treatment.

Good deal. Glad hes on the road to recovery.

Cleaned up, greased and assembled the final drive. The way these are designed, the wheel is all the way right in the swing arm. If you look straight on from the rear, the swing arm actually is offset to the left. The drawback is a very limited tire dimension. It is not uncommon for certain 120 tires to rub. A stock right side spacer is 9.2mm. BMW offered a 10.7mm spacer to accommodate wider tires, but it's no longer available. So I machined my Own to match. This gives the tire a little bit of room...

25b108d45505f21e6ea1a4307e4a7858.jpg

The stock spacer was pretty eaten up anyway...

88f5dac6ab37afca1c26a8e39f38995b.jpg

The rim also got painted. I don't even bother masking rims like these, as the design allows you to remove paint from the bare parts by wiping it away with acetone. It takes 1/3 the time as taping.

f9322266f3ab665faa05053fefcb4097.jpg

Looks great bud.

That must be a skinny driveshaft to fit inside that swing tube. Unless the pic is just misleading.

How are all the spines?

trek97 said:
Looks great bud.

That must be a skinny driveshaft to fit inside that swing tube. Unless the pic is just misleading.

How are all the spines?
Spline are perfect. Yeah, the driveshaft is pretty narrow- the tube is 30mm at it's narrowest point.

Glad to see this thing getting some love, man. Keep it up.

I started working out the dents on this new tank. I don't have a stud gun, so I do it with an HF slide hammer and roofing nails. I machined a center punch into a pair of vice grips...
c9e117b554a674688aeb58c3be89efd9.jpg

Tighten up the HF slide hammer with these fixtures...
f4618ed9f0b9f0ccf095877263324021.jpg

Mig the roofing nails around the dent in a star pattern ...
8b39912bbc705387dfb9f11c24de6635.jpg

4ba3880afa5731a1157e8f39a31ce58d.jpg

There's still a bit of work, but I honestly could stop and fill here...
c05e634419be1da497f869ad0aab88f1.jpg

The lip around the badge is perfect and just two small dents remain. A key to doing this is to slam the hammer with just enough pressure while also rocking the tool up and down, left to right and circular.

I like this trick, works great and unless you have a body shop the stud welder is not an essential tool.

"A key to doing this is to slam the hammer with just enough pressure while also rocking the tool up and down, left to right and circular"

Uh huh... That's what she said :eek:

Back
Top Bottom