Girlfriend's first bike.

teenycar

So I told the girlfriend that if she got her license then I would build her a bike. Well in no time she took the safety course from CHP and got her endorsement so I bought a project bike and got to work.
What she looked like the day I brought her home.

photo-1.jpg

Just a plain jane 1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ. Kinda ugly but I liked the tank and slope of the backbone so I figured I'd try to make something cool out of it.

Cut off the back end just behind the shocks and capped the frame ends. Then built a seat pan/tail out of some .120 and .065 aluminum.

photo-2.jpg

Then threw some color at it and a few other things....

photo-7.jpg

photo-16.jpg

I have to say im not a big fan of that style of bike BUT it looks cool man . going to be some pissed offed riders out there seeing a chic riding it lol only because shes on it and there not ! nice work

Things done....
Cleaned up and painted the wheels, frame, side panels, and forks satin black
Cleaned up and painted the engine with high temp. gloss black
Raised the front forks up in the trees 2 inches
Rebuilt the forks with new seals/oil/springs
Added some 4 way adjustable clipons
Retro Black Foam Grips
CBR 600 clutch and brake perches
Chinese cbr 600 adjustable shorty levers from ebay-love them though the anodizing kinda sucks
Removed the stock gauges and wiring along with all the lights
Trailtech Vapor computer-use it on all my bikes!
Chinese LED bar end turn signals from ebay-love them and visible from front and side
Chinese bar end mirror from ebay-like it, wish they made them in 2 inch but still nice
Seat pan made from .120 aluminum and tail made from .065 aluminum
Seat foam from Airtech
License plate backet made from 0.120 aluminum
Tail light-running light/brake light/turn signal combo-radiantz LED, kinda expensive but very compact and I like it clean and simple
Rear 2 inch lowering shocks I got off ebay and are used on sportsters. Pretty stiff but still soak up the hard hits
Cleaned up a lot of the wiring-wish I would have just made a simplified wiring harness
Removed the ignition and replaced with a hidden toggle
Made some side panels from .065 aluminum
12" shorty mufflers
Removed side stand switch/relay
Removed neutral safety switch
Stainless brake lines

She loves it as do I. I'm starting on building an xj1100 for myself. I used 1/4"X1 1/2" bolts that go through the pan and through the center of the frame rails. The pan fits over the frame rails so tight you don't really need bolts to hold it on though. Ordered some black ostrich to cut and sew as a cover over the foam. As is the seat is way more comfortable than the sportbike seats I have. I may add 1/4"-3/8" thick gel pad over the top for a bit more comfort.

Back
Top Bottom