79' CB750K Rebirth

I get my Heim Joints and rod ends from Midwest Controls. They're a bit cheaper and ship really quick. The reason I went with Fast From the Past is that threaded rods in both RH and LH threads are virtually impossible to find from industrial mfg's in small diameters like M6 or M8. Jim Hinshaw has that stuff readily available. As in my past gripes, I have learned that making my own rearsets is a headache to be avoided. :-D

So I made a bracket for my new'er head light. I like it better than the old 7" one but what do you guy's think? Keep it? Keep in mind that the controls arn't on yet along with the tach so that"ll take up some space above it.

Before----
roller1004.jpg

After-----
63c9898b.jpg

a5b41634.jpg

roller123.jpg

Opinions??

Nice build you have going Thirsty..... engine looks great. Have any idea about your seat or paint ??? Hell of a deal buying the bike..... I gave $100 for mine at the junkyard..... it doesn't run and is missing the wheels, front end, and bunches of other stuff. At least the motor turns over easily and it has a newish Dyna ignition.....

dewjantim said:
Nice build you have going Thirsty..... engine looks great. Have any idea about your seat or paint ??? Hell of a deal buying the bike..... I gave $100 for mine at the junkyard..... it doesn't run and is missing the wheels, front end, and bunches of other stuff. At least the motor turns over easily and it has a newish Dyna ignition.....

Thanks! I'm a Diesel mechanic by trade, so engines come easy for me.

I need to get the tank straitend back out. It has a few dents and dings in it, but it's realativley clean inside. I'm not much of a body guy. In fact I dont think I've ever bondo'd anything in my life?!? I've done some drywall/taping in my house so I guess I'll see how it goes? I think I'll paint it black again with a white stirpe down the center. Not really a painter either. lol. Seats still a toss up too. I gotta do some research on that. The pans an old Corbin I cut apart because it fit the frame good. It was a freebee with the bike. any tips on bondo?

I am a terrible body man. All of my major paint work goes to one of my two painters.
Brackets and small things I do myself. As of late I have been doing wheels also and have done a few frames. I can never get bondo smoothed down enough....... guess I should have stayed in autobody class in high school...... As for the seat..... I don't usually do upholstery either, unless it is just a cover replacement or something simple like that or trim. There is a shop here which does a great job. He has done several motorcycle seats and the seats for a BMW Cafe Racer Auto which I did several years ago.... wish I still had that little car....

I finally got some time around work to make a real tach bracket with a spot for the choke cable. Came out good, nice and clean up front now. Also made a bracket for my newer coils. I think they were off of a chevy cavelier or something.
69530820.jpg

5b4403a9.jpg

d531d9f9.jpg

bec87d92.jpg

On to the tank now... Man I really suck at the whole bondo paint thing! I guess I just dont have the right tools.. ya thats it. I dont' have the right tools..LOL

b4515f73.jpg

299d15d9.jpg

That is one sweet lookin' set of brackets you made. As for the tank...... sand it smooth..... then...... sand it again and again......

Hey, your project is looking great.
I'm also running a small headlight mounted like yours. Looks much better.

Sorry, but I need to warn you on using those GM coils.
I went with a set of those and ended up replacing them after being shown they are a bad match.
The primary resistance of the stockers is 2.8 ohms.
The primary resistance of the GM coils is 0.6 ohms.
So, there's a chance your ignitors could fail from being overloaded by driving 0.6 ohm coils instead of 2.8 ohm coils.

Check ebay for a pair of green Dynas.
Here is a link for a pair
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dyna-S-coils-3-ohm-tested-good-only-used-short-time-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb3d452b5QQitemZ200585532085QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Another guy has one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNA-COIL-3-0-OHM-ONLY-HAVE-1-NOT-PAIR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c3d9529cQQitemZ110659981980QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Keep up the good work.

brad in Hugetown

No need to be sorry Hedrives I'll take my chances. ;D Some have got 10K plus out of them and still riding. I cant afford 100 plus dollars for a set of coils. Hell I only paid 250 for the whole bike so I'll roll the dice. Thanks though ! I was actually thinking of put the ignitors from the chevy cavalier on it. Couldnt hurt I suppose.

dewjantim - been sanding and painting and bondo and sand and primer and sand and bondo and primer damn damn damn damn sand primer repeat.....it's looking decent now ! Silver stripe down the center soon....

I still remember my hands and fingers getting raw in shop class from all that sandin', fillin', sandin', fillin'...... The main reason I quit.

thirsty 1 said:
No need to be sorry Hedrives I'll take my chances. ;D Some have got 10K plus out of them and still riding. I cant afford 100 plus dollars for a set of coils. Hell I only paid 250 for the whole bike so I'll roll the dice. Thanks though ! I was actually thinking of put the ignitors from the chevy cavalier on it. Couldnt hurt I suppose.

Good plan.
Using the GM ignitors is not a bad idea. There are threads out there that show how to do this.

No matter what, enjoy the build and thanks for sharing.

brad in Hugetown

Ya Brad thanks for the well wishes it keeps me going. I think I seen something on the DOHC Customs site about using the other ignitors. I just bid on a set of stock coils too..

thirsty 1 said:
Ya Brad thanks for the well wishes it keeps me going. I think I seen something on the DOHC Customs site about using the other ignitors. I just bid on a set of stock coils too..

If you sign up for cb1100.net forum there is a great thread about the GM ignitors here:
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23870&start=240

I readily admit I'm not very knowledgeable about ignition systems, but I can wire them!

No matter what, keep digging. I'm enjoying your updates.

Well I found my thread back on page 12 :eek: , so I guess it's time for an update. I finally got my tank painted after sanding about 10 times. There's some sort of coating on it from a previous owner and everytime I'd put some paint down it would bubble. ??? I got sick of dealing with it so to hell with it, it's good enough. I'm not trying to build a show winner anyway.

cbpaint008.jpg

I also got all my new controls from Dime City Cycles of this site. Thanks again!!! New waffle grips, double pull throttle tube and a new clutch lever and perch. Good stuff at a good price. Gracias'
Made some new little brackets for my ignition switchs and the cockpit is now done.
Nice and simple - two switches.
cbpaint004.jpg

Went back and bought a used set of coils off ebay $5.99 with shipping. Sweet! I came to the realization that I don't need to over load the spark boxes and have it fail in the middle of no where.

So I made up a small gas tank and cranked it till I hade oil pressure. Hooked my coil power wire VROOM VROOM . It's alive!! :D :D :D
Sue006.jpg

Let it warm up some and took it for a spin around the block!

Now for a seat those frame rails hurt!

I used this for wiring it up and it does work. I used toggle switches.
simplified750kwirediagram.jpg

I have to get in it... Im waiting to take possetion of my house, i just went for a ride and im bored out of my mind. My stuff is jammed in three different garages around town and im living in the wifes house for the next two weeks.

Im having wrenching withdrawls...

Re: 79' CB750K Rebirth {It's Alive}

Right on! Congrats.!!! I gotta felling you have that project of yours spread out like a tramp on saturday night. ;D . My thinking on the DOHC bikes is supply and demand. It's getting harder and harder to find cheap projects and since the DOHC bikes are not so desireable there cheap. for now.

Back
Top Bottom