T500 build-----It's on the ROAD!!!

Re: T500 build

oh ya - .forgot to add that we also got around to changing the fork oil and seals last week too---so the forks will get one last clean/polish and they're ready to be reinstalled.

can't sleep.....

JustinLonghorn said:
I'm on board.

:D
Noticed the "400f" link in your signature....wow.....what a find!! Glad that we "connected" here as I too just put a deposit on a '75. Will tear into it in a year or two.

http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/od/designersandentrepreneurs/fl/Honda-CB400F-to-CB800-V8.htm

Make it an v8 ;)

A GT500...nice. With my limited knowledge of the history of these Suzuki's, the GT5's added some nice evolution. The GT550's in my humble opinion (and it's just that----an opinion!!) are not as attractive visually. However...they being a triple adds a level of interest!

Is there a build thread up here on that one?

And ya...it would take a few tanks of gas to get here, but anytime you might be in the area....drop me a line.

The GT500 has slightly better forks with a 70's style disk brake (not very good). Some of the GT500's have more conservative porting and are slower. Other that that, I think they are pretty much the same bike other than paint and some trim.

These bikes were successful racers, with little modification from stock. They were fast for a 500 back in the day and they Kawi came out with the H1 and everything changed. Instead of trying to compete with the Kawi and also with the new Suzuki 550 (which was slower than the 500) they made the Titan slower didn't develop the bike any further. Back in the day I had a 72 and it was a bit faster than my buddies on the 72 and up CB750's. I later put chambers, 34mm carbs, flat bars, better tires and shocks on it and it handled the corners fairly well.

I got my seat!!!!!

Bolted the tank onto the frame, and bolted the seat in.

ry%3D400

Marked where to cut the rear frame rails with my high tech cut-mark-locator-a-trons
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After the rough cuts
ry%3D400

And after finishing up the cuts to smooth them over.
ry%3D400

With the seat and tank set up on the frame, got around also to setting the line on the rear of the tankside where there'll be a paint color change....to line up with the the height of the seat's seating area.

Will now try to find some sort of way to plug those frame rail ends (they're a shade under 7/8" inside diameter) and get that frame painted up.

The collection of the satin black bits.
ry%3D400

In rebuild mode!!! ;D

Frame painted....semi gloss black appliance epoxy. Tough as nails they say!

ry%3D400

Couple of sleepless nights wondering if the frame coulda/shoulda been any other colour but "overused cliche, poorman rattlecan, black", but just kept coming back to it. So black it is.

Then a little later that evening, some bits bolted back on.

ry%3D400

Original shocks cleaned up a bit and reused.

yorkie350 said:
Gotta love rebuild mode mate ;)

you ain't kidding!!!

AND.....the weather and schedules finally lined up today to bring the daily rider home from its winter storage!!

ry%3D480

796 monster with monster1100EVO exhaust

It's been a good week!!!

Overall a fantastic day then! I did the same as you thinking about something other than black for frame paint. I almost went with a metallic silver, decided to go with good old PJ1 gloss black epoxy frame paint. Now the fun begins for you! Keep up the good work.

Hey thanks Jimmer!

I was poking around on some of your pics/posts----what rear sprocket did you end up finding for the T500? Need to find something for mine without turning the world upside down. I'm told a 70's-80's RM250 front will work on the T500 so that should be fairly easy/inexpensive to find. I have no real interest in modding the gearing all that much....maybe -1 in front, maybe +2ish in the back if I find something that suits.

I think once more bits are bolted on the black will be less "in my face"....with the front end back on it's already starting to take a back "seat".

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Back
Top Bottom