1969 Yamaha DS6C

Virago1113

Picked up a 2-stroke barn find. PO says that in 1978, it was driven into the garage and parked there. Hasn't seen the light of day since. For the price I couldn't pass it up.

The good...she seems to be complete. Only thing I can see missing are the air filters.

The bad...She is completely locked up. Shifter won't budge and the back wheel won't move. Thankfully the master link was where I could pop it off to remove the chain so I could move it over into the corner of the garage.

As per usual, it fell into my lap, so there hasn't been much research.

I have to leave for work out of town for the next month, so this will give me time to read up on a few things and order parts. Not sure where I'm going to go with it, leaning towards cafe but she's supposed to be a scrambler.

If there is someone out there that can point me in the right direction for parts/manuals/insight/etc, that would be helpful. I'm definitely tearing this one apart (rings, gaskets, carbs rebuilt, etc) Not as easy as the last one. I'm not sure even where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Nice find. I have a couple boxes of YDS6 parts somewhere around here. Cylinders, heads and ignition I think, but it's been a few years since I eyeballed them. We converted the street version into a TD2 roadracer and kept the street bike engine parts.

Cool little bike!
Keep soaking the pistons in oil, throw some atf/acetone in there and see if that helps.
Once you get them moving it's time for a FULL tear down, you're going to need all new seals and likely all new bearings as well since there is water in the cases. So splitting the cases etc becomes necessary.
Points are easy, so long as everything moves freely you can replace the condenser and points and get it running.

Back
Top Bottom