Which One, Suzuki GT550 or Yamaha RD400? Or a new Honda 500cc?

OJ

Been Around the Block
Again looking for a bike before previous project is complete. I found a GT550 and RD400 locally. GT550 does not run, but RD400 does run. GT550 is in clean condition and might need just minor work to get going as it has been stored in wamr storage since it was parked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RD400 might be easier to find parts for. It's also just two cylinders, so one less carb etc. to worry about and spend money on. GT550 may have more power, but isn't RD400 quite fast as well.

What do you guys think?

Re: Which One, Suzuki GT550 or Yamaha RD400?

OJ said:
Again looking for a bike before previous project is complete. I found a GT550 and RD400 locally. GT550 does not run, but RD400 does run. GT550 is in clean condition and might need just minor work to get going as it has been stored in wamr storage since it was parked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RD400 might be easier to find parts for. It's also just two cylinders, so one less carb etc. to worry about and spend money on. GT550 may have more power, but isn't RD400 quite fast as well.

What do you guys think?

I prefer an RD. GT550's were big and heavy, and yes the extra cylinder means more work. If you want to go 2 stroke triple, go for a GT380 or a kawasaki.

Just my 2c

Between the 2, I'd go for the RD. 8) It's a runner, parts are more readily available, light and quick, etc. 8)

Good luck!! :D

GT550 is more or less 1 1/2 RD400s but without reeds. It is not as heavy as you might imagine and can be tuned to make ridiculous HP, but and it's a big one, parts are harder to get and they typically cost more. For example RD400 cranks can be rebuilt easier than a GT triple and changing seals doesn't require the crank to be split. Pistons are easy to find and so it goes on.

If the 400 is a runner and GT is not, that sort of makes the argument as well. How clean and complete are they both and what sort of money are we talking.

From the perspective of my ability to trouble shoot and wrench, RD is definitely better option. I spent some time searching the interwebs and yeah, RD parts are easier to find. Good insight though so thank you everybody.

Calling the RD seller right now.

Wife unit threw a curve ball at me. She said that I should just get a new Honda 500cc bike so I would have a "ready to go" bike and keep the CB360 as my project and build bike. She may have a point, even when a new Honda would not be 2-stroke. If she approves me dropping a $6k on a new bike, I should probably take advantage of the opportunity.

And before questions start coming. 500cc is the insurance limit here, anything less will cost under $1000/year to insure, anything over 500cc will cost at the very least $1800. I would love to go and buy a few year old bike with lots of uumph, but $2k for insurance sucks balls.

I've heard a lot if good things about the CB...but if I were buying a new sub-500cc bike, DR-Z would be awfully tempting. Worth taking for a spin if you haven't.

You mean Suzuki DR-Z400? Dual Purpose would open a whole another road/trail network here, but for now I'm leaning towards street bike. I might need to take out my calculator and see if Yamaha FZ-07 would be within reach. My local bike shop carries Honda and Yamaha, and upfront cost of FZ-07 is the lowest of the "real" bikes. Insurance is just a killer here.

As a 14 year owner of an RD400, I have to chime in with another vote for the RD. They are great bikes, and are very reliable (only thing I hate is how often I have to adjust the timing, but it only takes minutes with a strobe) and the power/handling/braking/comfort is perfect for me. Parts are cheaper and the power delivery is smooth and predictable. I love my bike, and you will too if you choose the RD.

Rich Ard said:
Go ride one, bet you'll changer your tune :)
Apparently the local dealer, "does not allow test rides". I don't think I want to buy a motorcycle without a test ride.

Back
Top Bottom