81 SR250 tracker build help

Also random and not really related to this tread but I scored an awesome deal on a JDM2 model 4 bender with air/hydro and notcher with 4 sets of dies 2 square and 2 round tube for a great price and can't wait to use it! maybe make my first hoop since PO cut the tails off this one.

81 SR250 tracker build resurrection

FORGIVE me but this helps me try and focus on my bikes by putting it on the net. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

Apparently I'm only going to update this once a year. But eventually I'll have a running bike that can be modded. So bare with me

Update;
Pulled clutches and order new clutch kit with tool.
Sold the awesome JDM bender just couldn't justify all that cash in a tool I used once in a year.
Bought a Chinese plasma cutter love it. should be fun if I really get into modifying frames or just mods in general.

Actually lost the cover to the engine for about 2 months finally found it safely tucked away and packaged in storage go figure. Now confirming I have all the bolts as my 1hr tear down don't need bolts bagged, turned into a "where are all the bolts" a year later and multiple garage rearrangements.

Putting cover back on today and feel like I'm starting all over with getting a baseline. I did order a cable kit with some odd cable stops I'm not used to.

Have a hoop to weld on.
Need to start researching how you guys get those awesome stitched leather seats.

So short Goals
1# put engine back together make sure it runs and find any leaks problem areas
2# install kick starter
3# research and install some kind of battery eliminator kit
4# possibly faux starter filler
5# weld loop on

Re: 81 SR250 tracker build resurrection

merc4now said:
Bought a Chinese plasma cutter love it. should be fun if I really get into modifying frames or just mods in general.

Any more info?

adventurco said:
Any more info?

Sure adventurco

I picked up the locus LTP5000D. Plasma cutter. For some reason it's not showing on my amazon orders but I'm pretty sure I got it when they were running a deal between $300 and $400 shipped. Worked out the box like a champ. I cut up quite a bit of stuff with it and no signs of wear or voltage drops. I still have to learn to cut straight even with a straight edge.

Awesome some fuel and battery charger pumping a dead battery and it lives!!

besides the fact that the petcock leaks like crazy,

it will only run with battery being charged (thought this bike could run without battery and solely on stator?

built a new clutch cable and wanted to test ride but can't unless I buy a battery and make a battery tray. and possibly install stock harness as I stripped it down thinking I could run off stator unless generator is not producing enough power to keep the thumper running no lights are hooked up or anything.

Any one have advice on weather to replace an old leaking from every gasket tank valve (petcock) with a cheap New Chinese whole assembly or buy an oem $50 gasket kit?

To my understanding, because the sr250 is a road bike (compared to the tt and xt250s of the same era) the CDI unit charges its capacitor up from battery charge and not from stator - that would explain you needing to have a fully charged battery. Anyone who has successfully installed a battery eliminator kit on an SR250 please chime in and tell your story :)

The repair manual refers to the "ignitor" as a transistor-controlled ignition (TCI) not a CDI. All other TCIs I've seen run off battery voltage; if the battery gets below about 9-10VDC the ignition will not fire. So if you are using the starter and the battery is partially run down, the available voltage may still turn over the starter but not fire the ignition.

merc4now said:
Any one have advice on weather to replace an old leaking from every gasket tank valve (petcock) with a cheap New Chinese whole assembly or buy an oem $50 gasket kit?
You may be able to replace the vacuum-controlled OEM unit with a Yamaha manual unit (many XTs and TTs used this) and many times this is doable regardless of displacement. You will need to either take your old one to a dealer to compare the mounting base, or measure and search, or maybe someone else has done this already. OEM quality is always preferable.

Have bought one of these before and the quality was great. Same hole centres, good price. I just think it was missing the base o-ring.

Then you would just have to cap off your vacuum feed on the intake boot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ENDURO-MOTOCROSS-FLANGE-PETROL-TAP-FLANGE-LEFT-OUTLET-34mm-CENTRES-/151013012531?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item232913b433

Back
Top Bottom