DR600/ DR750 FAKEY TRACKER - "THE PETRONASTY"

Re: DR600 FLAKY TRACKER - "THE FLAKER"

dualero said:
Why not use a tracker seat/fender? That would look good there, though you'd have to correct the line of the tank/seat a little bit

DH900sl

the seat/fender that i have planned is the ONLY thing i'm happy with...and that i can control (as i'll make it myself) but yeah, the lines have to be flattter...

Right oh!
Finally got paid this month.. so time to spend. Also to do some small clean up jobs that I can do while waiting for my welder to be arranged...

Handle bar controls... I'm not going for any fake-ass retro look here.. I'm a quite inexperienced rider so I want real simple idiot controls with big STOOPID buttons... I will aslo have IDIOT LIGHTS.

heres what I chose... they are ordered , just waiting for delivery... meanwhile i'll clean up the handle bars and brake, throttle, clutch....repaint bars.

Attachments

• righthand.jpg
    righthand.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • lefthandswitches.jpg
    lefthandswitches.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 500

I really like that left hand control, would be perfect for my XL250, can I ask where you got it?

HerrDeacon said:
I really like that left hand control, would be perfect for my XL250, can I ask where you got it?

yep..its kinda cool innit..like a fisher price toy... its free delivery to the UK, i'm in spain but my brother will post it onwards. I'ms sure there are other suppliers.

amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Scooter-Offroad-Universal-Switch/dp/B00ICCFWZG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=130J8A1MX8SZBNW5G3HK

HerrDeacon said:
Nice price too, thank you!

yep.. bargain! i've worked out that many "regular" suppliers are simply buying stock from china and marking it up as much as 5 times the price BUT they're often so lazy that they dont even change the description of the item from the original..
GOOGLER.

At the end of my project I'll list all my suppliers fer sure.

HerrDeacon said:
Nice price too, thank you!

Man! just checked out your MB5... thats some great work thier.. really brought that little bike up to date! I have book marked you seat build as it seems to be the cleanest use of fibreglass I ever seen1

Milky

Thanks, appreciate the comments. Fiberglass on that seat is pretty thin since it doesn't really have to support any weight due to the face that the tank runs right underneath and the seat just conforms to the tank shape. Seat is unbelievably light because of this.

Bit of a pause on work as I was waiting for my tank... meanwhile i have get to work getting my bash plate made... by me.. ha ha first timer!

I made a carboard template

went down to the local metal fabbers and bought a 40x20x2 mm scrap alu sheet

(2 euro!).

cut, files, grinded, filed... now just need to drill some bolt holes and prep for paint.

I am as likely to go off road as I am to bite my own elbow, (go on try) but I'm not sure it matters.

we shall see....

Attachments

• bashplate.jpg
    bashplate.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 421

also.. this is the tank i'm waiting for.. TS185

few minor dings but no hard creases... interior is okaaaaaaaaaaaay.. a little rust but nothing some takerite shouldnt fix.

its got at least 3 coats of awful paint on it which will soon come off.. only problem is the mounting lug.. BUT as I'm gonna have to "make" this fit on the DR.. that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

tankerite, stipper, fillersand, sand sand, sand..

Attachments

• ts185.jpg
    ts185.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 405

Also.. while at the office I got to thinking of color schemes.. (a little early maybe?) but I like to imagine the finished bike in my head..

As its a 1989 bike most suzuki enduros of that time were a hideous blue/yellow combo.. nasty.. so on a hunt for 80's colour schemes I wanted to keep some yellow as a nod toward suzuki anyway.

Below is the color scheme.. the block represent the ammount of each color as it will appear on the bike...

As you can see I've gone right off the flake idea!!

1) ignore the first block... of pale grey...

frame: grey
engine: greyer
tank: same as frame
seat black
tank: grey/yellow
controls and grips black.

also found some Biltwell grips in diamnd pattern tomatch the diamond seat.

comments and opinions welcome...

Attachments

• 2-contemporary-colour-palette.jpg
    2-contemporary-colour-palette.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,524
  • detail_301_Thruster_Black (1).jpg
    detail_301_Thruster_Black (1).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,162
Re: DR600/ DR650 FLAKY TRACKER - "THE FLAKER"

HUSSAH!

The TS185 tank arrived.. love it.

It sits nice and flat (but a little high at the back). I may need to gently hammer the back end underside (sounds nasty) just a little to make it sit better at the rear.

I noticed that DEUS seem to get away with this quite a lot.. but i dont like that "plonked on the frame and fancy paint look".

here's some fotos.. loving the slim/low look.

Any one got any ideas or tips on how I could make the high gap at the back work for me?

Attachments

• IMG_20140708_151128.jpg
    IMG_20140708_151128.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 432
  • IMG_20140708_161532.jpg
    IMG_20140708_161532.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_20140708_152120.jpg
    IMG_20140708_152120.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_20140708_161941.jpg
    IMG_20140708_161941.jpg
    968.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_20140708_163028.jpg
    IMG_20140708_163028.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 439

I think the gap is fine. If you lower the back of the tank, it will not match the angle of the subframe and engine cylinder. Just use dark colors on the frame and make your seat top line up with your tank bottom for a nice flow. Look great so far, keep it up!

+1. Or you could get some kind of fiberglass seat with number plates that hang down. There's always a way.....

Joe Suzuki said:
I think the gap is fine. If you lower the back of the tank, it will not match the angle of the subframe and engine cylinder. Just use dark colors on the frame and make your seat top line up with your tank bottom for a nice flow. Look great so far, keep it up!

cheers joe....

here below is some progress.. I think youre right...the seat pan/foam will cover a lot of the "gap"... and with a dark grey frame and a dark grey tank stripe on the same "eye line" will help pullit a together...

I had a a few worries with the petcock hitting the frame and the fuel line being rather tight.. but wth some jiggling its work really well and sits nicely inside the curve of the original tank mounting.

On the left side i will use the same curve for the ignition key switch...(at the moment ist mounted on the headlight bracket for some PO reason)

below is a nice foto...

Attachments

• Foto1_ montar deposit.jpg
    Foto1_ montar deposit.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 437

Big Rich said:
+1. Or you could get some kind of fiberglass seat with number plates that hang down. There's always a way.....

thanks big, or should i call you rich?

i've done a little seat pan work..and i think using part of the original palstic pan, with some fibre glass mods I should be able to get that and the foam to draw the eye in a starightish line.

here are some fotos of progress on that area...

In the third foto where the seat meets the tank its looks a bit "right angle" but it will look more like the second foto and reflect the curve of the rear hoop...

for those who wanna know .. the hoop is some garden hose wit some stiff wire running through it for mock up purposes it works well as one can easily adjust the angle...

trying to book my welder" as i have no welding skills at all!

thanks for the support and all.

Attachments

• Foto4_hoop.jpg
    Foto4_hoop.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 430
  • foto5_covrir spacio.jpg
    foto5_covrir spacio.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Foto3_ hoop.jpg
    Foto3_ hoop.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 412

Just to show what else has been planned... I dont want to replce the airbox with a cone... rejetting may seem simple but its a maaaaaasive arse ache and I may never get it quite right!

so heres a mock up of the airbox cover/hider... using my source of steel... the od boiler cover (see prevoius posts)

Attachments

• foto6_airboxcover.jpg
    foto6_airboxcover.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 429

Just Rich - if you ever meet me you'd see I'm not big at all. It's just an old joke....

I'm digging your ideas on the seat and side covers! Are you planning on having the covers welded to the frame, or making them removable somehow?

Big Rich said:
Just Rich - if you ever meet me you'd see I'm not big at all. It's just an old joke....

I'm digging your ideas on the seat and side covers! Are you planning on having the covers welded to the frame, or making them removable somehow?

hey rich.. yep the side covers... well. i'm going to need access to the airbox and battery somehow.. so I reckon i'll make the seat/pan removeable (bolted on rather than welded) then i can lift her out.

that means the side cover will probably be welded on, but "inside" the frame rather than "on" the tubes. I just bought a dremel to grind off the ugly welds at low rpms.

the big PROBLEM right now is finding a replacement gas cap for the tank.. i had to drill out the old one.! OEM is nearly $120!!!! any ideas welcome..!

the filler is 41mm ID and 61mm OD... with cam/bayonet.... struggling to find one.!

Attachments

• drlled.jpg
    drlled.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 944

FOUND IT!!!

the holy grail of manuals.. good old carl slater had a version but it was in spanish and or german, then i contacted a guy on youtube but his was in italian!

Then,last night I couldnt sleep (too warm in Barcelona), so I got up at 4.30 am and starting sleep-surfing... I found this over on thumper talk...

at last... now i can move foward..its not quite the right year (mines 1989.. but it goes upto 1987.. so should be ok for my purposes)

suzuki dr600 manual : http://www.liebertee...al-english.html

Attachments

• manual-351x450.png
    manual-351x450.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 939
Back
Top Bottom