sr250 first build, I know nothing at all.

18448eff5ea9d69bdf69d7986f65f28a.jpg

Nice

Sent from my LG-H812 using DO THE TON mobile app

51e4af538b36dea49c8e5016904d4333.jpg

So just to get this right. The wire on the left comes off that little block and goes to the positive. The one in the middle goes from the starter to the other post on the block, and the one on the right goes from the battery to be grounded on the engine block?

Beerslinger said:
Contacted the paint shop. 550+ to powder coat the frame, that's if I've completely striped and taped everything off. Not sure that it's worth it for a 250 that only cost $200.00. That's a month's rent in my neck of the woods.

Holy shit, $550 and you do all the work. Send it to me and I'll do all the work for half that price. You gotta tell me what outfit thinks they can get that kind of money for a frame like that. If you brought it to me I would be in the $150-$200 max., and that includes chemically stripping the frame, media blasting, masking and plugging of any pertinent holes and capping all threaded studs and coating in a single stage color (Black). I used to do work for a CBX restorer and it was usually $500 for everything on the bike that was black.
Where is your neck of the woods?

Alert Bay, B.C. Top of Vancouver Island. This guy works out of Courtenay, so it's a minimum 9 hour trip not including ferry costs, just to get it to him. Where you located?

Beerslinger said:
Alert Bay, B.C. Top of Vancouver Island. This guy works out of Courtenay, so it's a minimum 9 hour trip not including ferry costs, just to get it to him. Where you located?
Probably a deal breaker, Dawsonville, Ga. USA. wrong country and wrong side of the continent.
Even at $.80 on the USD that's way too high.

That price is highway robbery. Gotta be someone who can do it cheaper. It's even cheaper to buy yourself a whole powder coat setup and do it yourself!

o1marc - I may have to take you up on that when I move to Texas next month!

adventurco said:
That price is highway robbery. Gotta be someone who can do it cheaper. It's even cheaper to buy yourself a whole powder coat setup and do it yourself!

o1marc - I may have to take you up on that when I move to Texas next month!
Problem is having an oven big enough to do motorcycle frames. You couldn't get close to one for $550. Mine is 4' x 4' x 6' and cost $3K for the basic oven.

sr250 first build, I know nothing at all.

o1marc said:
Problem is having an oven big enough to do motorcycle frames. You couldn't get close to one for $550. Mine is 4' x 4' x 6' and cost $3K for the basic oven.

Yep. Although I've seen people make some homemade ones out of file cabinets, But then you run the risk of burning down your shop. Nice to see someone offering real services for a reasonable price though.

OP, I had very good luck painting my frame with HVLP 2 part paint/clear. Will run you around $100 to get the whole setup. It's not quite as durable as powder but gives good quality finish. I've also had good luck with aerosol auto finishes. Again around the $50 range for a can of clear/color, but not quite as durable.

So the wiring diagram says
058608711003f5312d07ae4a38f0604d.jpg
this should be a red/white (check) blue/white (check) chocolate (negative) and blue/black (negative). Near as I can figure that's supposed to plug into this one that had there correct colors, but it's a female/female connection.
3b46c313c2cc9ca45f3e616e53977c28.jpg
Any tips? I'm wondering if it's not a stock start/kill switch

Beerslinger said:
Thanks, will do. Any chance you have the 7" lamp kicking around?

Buy some eBay $10 ears for mounting on the forks and buy a Yamaha lamp say from an xs400. Any lamp that tucks the wiring inside will do.

o1marc said:

Oil tanks cut in half with a donor Craigslist stove parts have been seen around...

cosworth said:
Oil tanks cut in half with a donor Craigslist stove parts have been seen around...
And it's that kind of DIY crap that earns powder coating a bad name from poor results. There are very critical steps in the process of powder coating that makes the difference between me and some of the others. If the others did what I do, then I would have competition. Those are on CL because they don't work.

So I am going to cut the old connectors off and rewire a new connection on so I have a Male/Female set. Are these kind of connectors available from your local radioshack/source store, or are they motorcycle only style connectors I'll have to order online?

cosworth said:
Buy some eBay $10 ears for mounting on the forks and buy a Yamaha lamp say from an xs400. Any lamp that tucks the wiring inside will do.

I have the ears already. Going to stop in at the wreckers on the way down island next weekend, I'm sure they have the housing, even if I have to grab a new bulb.

Beerslinger said:
So I am going to cut the old connectors off and rewire a new connection on so I have a Male/Female set. Are these kind of connectors available from your local radioshack/source store, or are they motorcycle only style connectors I'll have to order online?
If you're going to replace connectors I would upgrade to a more modern unit like Weatherpack Connectors.
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Weatherpack-Connectors/1354645/10002/-1?catargetid=230006180000851665&CAPCID=50248113911&cadevice=c&gclid=CLLeuv3zucwCFQgxaQod6hoOGg

They are available in most auto parts stores.

Holy hell. $55 for 13 connections? That's $4 per connection! Those must be the tiffany's of electrical connectors. I'm all for quality parts, but that price point has me scratching my head.

Your generic auto parts store connectors heat-shrinkable connectors should be fine. They work efficiently enough for a fraction of the cost. Just be mindful of the copper wire when you're crimping them, heatshrink where the connector meets the wire and you'll be good to go.

You can also order OEM style bullet connectors for somewhere between the price of the jegs and the generic auto store ones. Make sure you get the connectors that are compatible with the wire gauge of your harness

I didn't know he was changing 13 connectors. 6pin weatherpack connectors are only about $5 they are weather tight unlike the cheap ones that are being replaced. If "fine" is all you looking for, by all means get cheap one. I like to replace parts for the last time, so a few extra bucks now pays off up the road. If I was changing just the one he has that is a 5 wire female/female I would spend the $5 and be done.
They come in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 pin, and can be bought in kits also.

How do I turn off spellcheck, I'm tired of going back and correcting 10 mistakes I didn't make on every post.Spellcheck keeps correcting weatherpack to weathercock. Is that even a word?

Jegs was just a source to view the connectors, I could find them much cheaper in other places, all over Ebay.

Back
Top Bottom