1978 cb750 resto-mod/cafe/brat/tracker

mannydantyla

Been Around the Block
I just picked this guy up yesterday! So excited!

IMG_6671.JPG

It looks good in the back of my truck 8) - a 1973 Chevy K10. In fact, I wanted a truck in the first place to haul motorcycle arounds!

IMG_6675.JPG

This will be my second build. You may remember my first build, a 74 CL200:

cl200-left.jpg

The CL200 is what gave me the confidence to tackle a large project like the truck. Now the truck has delivered me my next project. It's come full circle 8)

Enough about me...

I tested the compression on the 750 yesterday and all 4 cylinders where very good! I was able to record 130psi on the first three cylinders BUT that was with the throttle closed (throttle grip piece is in a box somewhere). The 4th cylinder recorded 150 psi! I guess I kicked a little harder on that one :D

First problem I may tackle: the inside of the gas tank.

I'LL NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS. This sandy coating on the inside of the tank is KREEM, correct? I've never seen it before now, but I've heard of it, and I've only heard terrible things about it. Whats the best way to remove it? Thanks!

full size image: http://dannix.net/sites/default/files/field/image/IMG_6682.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

It's very hard to photograph but that light brown stuff at the top of the inside of the tank - it's covering everything down in the tank (except for the very top area that's possible to photograph). And it actually looks like there may be 2 applications of Kreem :eek:. And under that is a solid layer of rust that is still there active.

From my initial research, POR-15 tank liner is highly recommended. I know that there rust products are legendary for it's strength. That may be the best way to go... Evapo Rust is very good at completely eating all rusty metal and leaving clean metal, but as soon as any moisture hits the metal: boom, flash rust.

I used por15 tank cleaner to get the crap out of my cb360 tank, did a good job.

Following along.. Almost bought this exact bike so excited to see if I would of made the right (or wrong) decision lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaferacerMO said:
Following along.. Almost bought this exact bike so excited to see if I would of made the right (or wrong) decision lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha cool!

Back
Top Bottom