"RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!

forcefanajd said:
lol thats what happens when your unemployed....i try to stay home to save money so im usually on here while working on my bike.

ha, sounds like me :)

one more quick one. How many cans should I be looking to get of base and clear? Im doing my tank, seat, and head light bucket. I did 12 coats of primer like twisted suggested and it drained 3 cans completely, I actually think I may have only got 11 coats. I was thinking 3 base and 2 clear just to be safe, but Id really like if I could do 2 and 1 to save $$$. What do you think?

Boom, I think you are spraying way to heavy! I did a tank and tail with one can of primer, two cans of color and two cans of clear. And I did that using the method I described at the begining of this thread!

Your color does need to be fairly thick before sanding, rattle bombs cant coat as thick as a gun and not run, that is why my method describes so many coating passes!

ha, ok. I thought I may have been going a bit heavy. At least Ill have a big tolerance for error when I sand :). If Im not sanding my base, what do I do if I get a drip or orange peal?

forcefanajd said:
umm....never sand your base coat before clearing.....NEVER itll look like shit and if its metallic youll sand into the flak and itll look nothing like it should.....def ease up on the spraying though.....either way 12 coats of primer is WAYYYYYYYYYY too much. about 8 coats too much after sanding.

In my instructions (if you actually take time to read it) I do say to sand the color coat, however I also instruct to lay your last coat of color and follow it with clear without sanding!

I feel as if you are negatively criticizing my method without actually reading and comprehending what I took much time and effort to develop and then post for other users! Remember, this method is not done by a professional painter, using professional equipment. I have developed this method on my own through trial and error and wrote this post with the intention that people with little to no painting experience could use and understand.

I am glad to have someone of your experience on this site and on this thread offering help. However I feel you just jumped into the middle of the thread without taking time to actually read all the post from the beginning until your arrival.

Please take the time and read my original post and then offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism if you actually want to be helpful to all users of this site and thread!

Judge judy is going to be pissed!
judge-judy.jpg

its all good man......im in the process of removing my posts in this thread and im done posting in here, im not gonna do a write up anymore either. you guys are on your own, i tried helping people out but twisted ruined a good thing (probably one of the best threads that was going). tere are a select few id be willing to help out when it comes to painting....you guys know who you are so feel free to PM me.

ooh come on man, leather up... it is an internet forum... not life. Lighten up! by dipping out on here you are really taking away a strong tool to help you with your builds. I have been building bikes for YEARS and get help on here on a daily basis. i am blunt and too the point, i do not get all flustered when somone dogs on me. i laugh! come on now guys. sack up... we are bike builders not sponge painters

Sometimes two conversations get started in a thread and miscommunication happens. No problem mon. I think you are right, what you were talking about really didn't belong in a rattlecan topic. But, we would love to hear what you have to say about other painting techniques in another post.

I have made the decision to go with rattlecan paint so twistedwheelz's writeup is great for me.

i have no problem ever admitting when i fuck up.....this was one of those times, just pisses me off when people come off in a not so polite manner.

My apologies for jumping in and stabbing at forcefanajd, I also can admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong to lash out that way. (To those who don’t know, some post of mine and forcefanajd’s have been removed by myself and he. We exchanged words that should have been in private and offered no constructive insight to any other users!) I am sorry to the users who may have been interested in any information that could be provided by forcefanajd due to his knowledge of professional painting techniques. I hope he reconsiders posting on this site and decides to offer his knowledge to us. I was confused myself of which technique he was referring to in his post on this thread and felt that others would be confused as well. That confusion could only lead to unsatisfactory work and would not have been helpful in any way.

As far as using the automotive paints that can be purchased from an auto parts store and put into an aerosol style can, it has come to my attention by forcefanajd that these paints cannot be treated like a normal spray paint but rather more like paint used in a spray gun. If anyone here has experience using these paints please post a how to using the format I used to descried my rattle can method. I feel that post could go in this Thread or in a new thread and then linked on this thread for future reference. That would help clear some of the confusion that started this whole misunderstanding!

I hope we have resolved all issues and can put this in our history as to not repeat the same conflicts. I hope there are no hard feelings and that we can all move forward in doing what we are all here for (or should be here for), and that is to exchange knowledge and passion for something we all love, custom bikes.

now we are back on track!
this is a great thread! has helped a ton of people, both of you guys have... water under the bridge...

I just went through this entire thread and re-read every post from start to finish. I did not realize that force not only removed his posts that were non-constructive, but he also removed many of his post that was helpful and useful to this thread! Now the thread is more difficult to follow in some parts (due to missing conversation), but there is still plenty of good info here. I hope we continue to build this thread and generate solid information to users who want to make a good paint job themselves, on the cheap.

For those of you who know me, you know that I am very laid-back and an all around kidder! Humor is what keeps me going, if you can’t laugh, you can’t live! With that being said, I just have to speak my mind about force’s reaction to our disagreement!

Quote Forcefan : “Screw you guys, I am taking my ball and going home!”

cool that I found this thread just as I'm about to start painting 3 bikes on the cheap. Thanks for the info, I'll be trying out these techniques over the winter.

jay

Be sure you are in a heated area for the process and you keep dust out of your booth set-up! These will be key in your painting during the winter months! Good luck to you and feel free to post any questions or problems. Me along with many others will be more than happy to offer our advise!
Cheers

I don't think rattle can and "bling" belong in the same sentence. for the most part rattle can jobs are crap and simply don't last. the ONLY rattle can I support is the spraymax line and it's a 2K system. even sprays like a real gun. at 20$ a can this is the closest your going to get to a bodyshop.

malloy said:
I don't think rattle can and "bling" belong in the same sentence. for the most part rattle can jobs are crap and simply don't last. the ONLY rattle can I support is the spraymax line and it's a 2K system. even sprays like a real gun. at 20$ a can this is the closest your going to get to a bodyshop.

I went this route, but if I didnt I was going to go with roller paint. Ive read up and it and seen a few videos, and you can get amazing results for about 25$ total for a bike.

Back
Top Bottom