Two-Stroke Collective - 'The Smoking Lounge'

boingk

Standard gearhead.
Similar to the 'Small Honda' collection thread which has insipred this, I figured that we could do with a collection of the two-stroke builds that are going on here. There aren't that many die-hard stroker builds around and its good to know who's doing what and where the knowledge can be gotten. Questions on tuning? Need to find a chamber to suit? This is the place, so check out the following builds:

Lacbeths Kawasaki KH100
Fred in MTL's Kawasaki A1
Motofiaccone's Yamaha RD400
Drewski's Kawasaki H2 750
Moth Boy's Suzuki T500
Diesel450's Yamaha R5 350
joeschuit's Suzuki GT250
Manchestermichaels Honda H100
Cafe Freak's RD350/Banshee
trips750's Suzuki GT750
Boingk's Kawasaki KV100
Madmaxx's Suzuki T250
ringading's Yamaha RD250
NoahAbs Yamaha RD250
coolatula's Hodaka Ace 100
Cafe-XV750's Suzuki T500
DetroitRockCity's Suzuki T500 info thread
paulb's Yamaha RD350
jaybob's Suzuki GT550
pUNKrOCKer's Yamaha RXK135
Squirly's Kawasaki H1
phabbo11's Suzuki T500
VonYinzer's Suzuki T250
Stout's Yamaha RD250
BradD's Suzuki X6 250
Wingspan's Suzuki T500
suzuki_rf's Suzuki GT550
Firestarter's Suzuki GT550
perattzi's Yamaha RD350
cierrecart's Yamaha RD350
Redbird's Yamaha D7
rextex's Yamaha DS6
Ease's Suzuki TS250
HerrDeacon's Honda MB5
4eye's Yamaha R5

If you know of a stroker build not listed here then feel free to post it up or PM me and I'll add it to the list.

Cheers guys, and may the shrill wail of our bikes ring frantically throughout the concrete jungle for all to hear!

- boingk

Cool Boingk! It is awfully handy having similar bikes in one handy link. I've been kinda busy at work lately, but if I get the chance, ill shoot some links your way!

Updated with all strokers to page 30 of the Cafe Racers projects board. Alternately bolded every second group of five links to make it easier to shift through them.

Cheers - boingk

Added some more recently started builds. Some very nice work in there guys, keep up the good stuff!

Cheers - boingk

Good stuff man! Thanks for throwin the 250 on there. Itll be a bit before anything really starts happenin with her, but its awesome to have a collective to steal borrow ideas from!

Hahaha! Great idea!! 8) 8)

I'll do my best to get "at it" so we can cross this one off the "to-do" list and add it to the "done" list! :D

I'll be adding another 2 Smoker to the Projects thread though! :D Gotta love 'em!! 8)

Cheers guys, and no worries at all on the thread. Thanks for the PM as well, VonYinzer.

Meanwhile I'm looking slack because I still haven't wired my lights up on the 100 or the 850 yet. Geez...

- boingk

Updated main with the few stroker builds from the Bobber and Tracker boards.

Cheers - boingk

boingk said:
Meanwhile I'm looking slack because I still haven't wired my lights up on the 100 or the 850 yet. Geez...

- boingK

no worries, it only took me 6 months to strip the bike down ... urgh ...

VonYinzer said:
Good stuff man! Thanks for throwin the 250 on there. Itll be a bit before anything really starts happenin with her, but its awesome to have a collective to steal borrow ideas from!

Hey Tim!! This is a great thread for 2 Smokers!! Can you "stickey" this for us?? ??? ???

Thanks, man!! 8) 8)

so are those t500s good bikes? i eventually want a 2 stroke in the permanent collection. the last thing i need is another project at this point. what are good 2 strokes to watch out for?

Cheers to Drewski for suggesting this be a sticky, and to Tim for making it one. Louie, your build will be up as soon as theres a thread for it!

dcmspikes, T500's are known to be pretty hardy bikes. They're not overly tuned and had a reputation for being quite long-lived. You could easily tweak one for a few horses over their stock 50 and not come to greif. There was also their smaller brothers, namely the T350 and T250. The Suzuki GT series was good, with the ultimate hot-shot small capacity bike being the GT250 X7 - it'd do 100mph apparently (probably light rider & tail wind). The GT380 and 550 were triples like the Kwaka H series but not as wild or highly tuned. The GT750 was their flagship stroker performance bike; a huge water-cooled triple. Later models had a refined chassis with twin discs and 70hp.

Kawasaki triples (H1 and H2) had a reputation back in the day as wild machines. Big capacity stroker power put into a chassis that definitely wasn't the best thing around. Starting to command quite a bit of money now because of their cult status. Kawasaki 100's are also tough little units, with a rotary-disc intake setup and a production run going from 1970 until 2001 for the US market I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if they still make them in Japan or China. Good for buzzing around town or trails.

Yamaha hit the money with the RD series, with everything from a 125 to a 400 being made. The 125 and 250 twins handled well and went ok, and the 350 was the hot-rod of the group. The 400 was a stroked 350 and has a reputation for being tough, as the long stroke helps with engine longevity. Liquid cooling came in with the LC series (RD125 LC etc).

Honda...er...I'm not to sure about Honda. Apart from their more modern GP replica stuff like the NSR250 I'm really not too up-to-date with their vintage stroker stuff. I think they were more of a four-stroke manufacturer. I do know that their H100 stroker from the 80's used to be the bike to be on in bucket racing, as the cylinder head design and big cooling fins let the stock 10hp turn into 20+ at the hands of race tuners.

There is all manner of hotshot GP replica items from the modern era as well. I just sold my '01 Aprilia RS125, which was an absolute hoot to ride. The 250's are supposed to be quite good from all the manufacturers, with the 500cc 4cyl Gp rep stuff being the ultimate development of the two-stroke engine. The 500cc units are demanding some more serious money now because of their history as MotoGP machines of days past. The FIM ruled against 500cc strokers in 2001 and 2003 was their last year I believe. They switched to 990cc 4t's, then 800cc 4t. Now they're going back to 1000cc 4t. Should be an interesting season!

Anyway, thats my basic knowledge of two-strokes. There are, of course, all manner of trail bikes out there from back then and now. One of the more extreme modern models is the Honda CR500, a liquid cooled single cylinder 500cc two-stroke! Wild, wild stuff... I wouldn't mind getting an offroad 250 or 300 to work with myself, but would go for an older model with aircooling.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers - boingk

It should just be the regular patch but all grayed out so you can just barely see the logo etc. through the "smoke"

Back
Top Bottom