CX500 cafe project / Need Delux tank and clubman bars

jonymacmadcap

Been Around the Block
Hi all,
Just picked up a low mile CX500 custom. I am going to (SHOCKER!!!) turn it into a cafe ride.

Because it is a custom model, it has the peanut shaped tank. It is in awesome shape, but does not feed my cafe desires...I wonder if anyone has the CX500 Delux tank or a more "Manx" or "toaster" shaped tank they would be willing to part with....

Please let me know. Going to start work on her this week.

EDITED to reflect found seat. STILL REALLY NEED THAT TANK!!!!!

Re: CX500 cafe project / need seat and/or tank

The frame shape on that bike makes off-the-sheft seats difficult. I recommend building one from scratch.

--Chris

Re: CX500 cafe project / need seat , tank, and clubman bars.

motofiaccone said:
The frame shape on that bike makes off-the-sheft seats difficult. I recommend building one from scratch.

--Chris

Agreed Chris, but I want the cafe seat pan as a foundation to modify rather than working from scratch.

EDIT TO ADD: I would also not mind an original CX500 seatpan also, I can use it as a foundation.

RE_EDIT TO ADD:
I am also needing some cluban bars. Adjustable prefered.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread... but does a Deluxe tank fit on a Custom? Do you have to modify it somehow?
I'm starting a similar build....

It's do-able . Saw another guy that dealt with the dip a little different to , check choppercharles.com lots of CX builds there. also at the sohc forurm there are some nice cx builds .Mine came out pretty sweet- that is a Roc City interceptor seat- Jus sayin'.....

nicengloss.jpg

sideshot.jpg

nicengloss2-1.jpg

Orbs...whats up man???

Yeah That is the seat I am getting....just really need the tank now. May go over to the wrecker and see if they have one that is in decent shape, just wanna basically clone your black CX....liked the look and can Modify the racing stripes to suit my needs. Was thinking Really dark Gray with the racing stirpes...MMMMMm delish.

Dualcab said:
I don't want to hi-jack the thread... but does a Deluxe tank fit on a Custom? Do you have to modify it somehow?
I'm starting a similar build....

Definately do-able...(See above)....looking for the right tank is the bitch of it though. Need to get the "toaster" looking tank to really bring it all together...not too bad to fab it in ...CX500 forums have several posts 'splaining how.

I gotta a friend that has a deluxe tank if you are interested, pretty nice outside, inside needs cream/por 15/redkote etc. Can ask him if you are interested just let me know.

Need any vinyl hit me up , I can hook you up on the cheap brother.

blindstitch on the choppercharles forum is a very knowledgable CX veteran if you need any info-

another option is a benelli tank , would fit it great with some light light mod. A friend of mine has one on one of this H2 Triple Hybrid, and it is actually much larger than I would have thought from photos~ Cool thing is unlike a cx deluxe tank it has no badges so you can strip paint and polish the crap outta it and you got a 100$ alloy tank! Thinking about doing it myself ,it's getting to be a bit cliche' but it looks awesome really and no body has one around my neck of the woods yet....

I got a tank on eBay last night... saw some good 'splainin' over at the CX forum... will report back.

Is there a good source for handlebar clamps? THe stock setup is pretty ugly...

To fit a deluxe CX500 tank onto a CX500 custom, you have to cut down the mounting tab and drill a new hole but there is plenty of surface area. Also fab up some spacers to snug the gaps on either side of the front mounting brackets. On the handlebar clamps I'm not sure, I have a diff front end. I used clip ons that I got off of ebay for $50 but my forks are now 40mm, and I think the stock CX's are 35mm. dualcab, if you need any stock cx parts hit me up, I have a lot. I have an extra deluxe tank but it's not in great shape. Could be lined and made good with some bondo. I'm still in search of a perfect tank. I'd really like fo find a sweet ass Suzuki GS450 cafe style tank, but I can't find one in good enough shape.

Back
Top Bottom