Looking for: 72 Commando parts

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
Hey all... Starting the project and looking for any Norton Commando parts laying around...
At this point, Im not looking for anything particular but the "usual suspects"...gasket kits, brake shoes, cables, alloy manx tank,
Single Makuni carb conversion kit, etc..etc...
This project is gonna be an all-out build and probabbly be my "forever & ever & ever" bike... so I may as well start stock piling... & learn to shift with my right foot... ;D

locO leoN said:
Hey all... Starting the project and looking for any Norton Commando parts laying around...
At this point, Im not looking for anything particular but the "usual suspects"...gasket kits, brake shoes, cables, alloy manx tank,
This project is gonna be an all-out build and probabbly be my "forever & ever & ever" bike... so I may as well start stock piling... & learn to shift with my right foot... ;D

Is that Forever and Ever or Never-Neverland? Do you have a secrect wish to be Michael Jackson?

Disposible stuff like gasket kits ... Brit Cycle (And they're Canadian too eh?)
http://www.britcycle.com/

locO leoN said:

Anything i can do ... just ask.. :D

miss alliekat said:
Anything i can do ... just ask.. :D

You are absolutely the best!!.. LOL!!!..
Any chance you could track down a fairly decently priced Alloy tank?.. I believe they call it a "5 Gallie alloy petrol tank".. ;D

locO leoN said:
Any chance you could track down a fairly decently priced Alloy tank?.. I believe they call it a "5 Gallie alloy petrol tank".. ;D

Decently priced Alloy tanks are hard to come by in Canada. After exchange rates, shipping and what not, a tank from the Tank Shop runs for around $1000 Canadian, which as you can imagine is prohibitively expensive. If you can find something ... everyone here would go nutts :)

Scarcat said:
Decently priced Alloy tanks are hard to come by in Canada. After exchange rates, shipping and what not, a tank from the Tank Shop runs for around $1000 Canadian, which as you can imagine is prohibitively expensive. If you can find something ... everyone here would go nutts :)

yeah... evening somthing used but in fairly good conditin, like something that you'd find at a swap meet!! ;D

First off, buy this. No point in doing a Norton that isn't a featherbed.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Norton-Atlas-Triton-Featherbed-Frame-AHRMA_W0QQitemZ250191652038QQihZ015QQcategoryZ35608QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

locO leoN said:

these are fibreglass but look good..... :eek: http://www.classic-motorcycle-fiberglass.com/honda.htm

: 270191140257
280177404764 These two are cool ebay stuff in uk, you can always get them to post to me if they will not post abroad , i can post on. ::) :eek:

Any chance you might get posted this side of the pond ::)I have a huge wish list I would like to purchase from Hales Honda!!!!!!!

Heh-hey Noel,

Congratulations on your decision to build up a Commando, my unreserved favourite bike pick. Your first few wishes are definitely things you just want to pick up new, with an eye out for suspiciously reasonable prices, read: cheap crap from places not normally associated with the manufacture of quality spares.

You have entered the realm of infinite tinkering; avoid making things worse by "trying out" bits that are "really close" and half the price. If you do this right, you will end up riding something that makes your balls jingle with anticipation before you get into your leathers. If you don't take your time and seek experienced, if not professional advice when confronted with design anomalies (these are legion; prepare to contort yourself in ways you've never imagined while installing what really should have been pretty straight forward,) the miseries of ending up with a bike that never runs above 50% of its performance potential will break your spirit.

Which half of 1972 are you working with? My first Commando was a latter half, the ones that came with the new front disc. And it was a Combat model, (the higher compression, larger ported engine.) What do the jugs look like, alloy or heat-treated black paint? If it's the Combat, you'll want to be sure the bottom end crank bearings are upgraded. Every Commando of any variety needed improved bearings (F.A.G. or better) on the transmission's layshaft as well.

Oh, and just in case no one has told you by the time you're at the other end of your build, 2 things: forget to retract your stock sidestand at risk of your life; and never, ever, bump start the thing in 1st gear. I achieved my first ever wheelstand that way, inadvertently and to the detriment of my underwear. Welcome to the (vintage) world of leaping torque. And graceful slalom (Featherbeds? yeah, well, very nice for the purist, but you won't need one if a very slightly twitchy front end doesn't scare you. And it shouldn't. At corner speeds in the range of rational riding the isolastics and rubber rear wheel mount will absorb the rough stuff every bit as well as the F-bed ever did by flattening them. It's like the difference between feeling through a corner and plowing through one. Oh, and when you get up to the ton-twenty the thing should do, that twitchiness turns to a vaguelty floaty sensation. Fear not, Enjoy!)

Sorry, forgot you're just starting the build. Got me all nostalgic here.

locO leoN said:

Hey Lee,

Thanks buddy!!... I think this bike is gonna be a keeper..
I think however, Im gonna do this one over a long period of time.

Here is some progress!! ;D

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1768.15

Cheers!!

Hey Noel,

sorry I've only got a bunch of Triumph stuff at present. You're welcome to come by and have a look though. I'll get a list up on the sell forum before long. Some of it is swappable, if you're not determined to follow a rigorous restoration regimen.

Oh, and I've got a little axe to grind:

I take it you're taking all your "Ton-Up" brothers' anti-Brit twin propaganda with a good-humoured pinch of salt. There are two, and I am simplifying here, two types of (ex)Norton owners: those that got into it wide-eyed and recognizing the peerless aesthetic experience of riding "The Roadholder", and those whipped by repeated failures to meet the bike half-way on the maintenance front. Needless to say, those detractors who've never owned one are hardly in a position to pass judgement.

It's funny, you know, I rode Commandos for many years beginning in 1979. And it wasn't til I got on a Z1 for the first time that I was convinced of the irrevocable demise of the British bike industry as we'd known it. And even then my buddy on his Z1 couldn't follow me around corners! The Commando was the final manifestation of the original Ton-Up machines. Slagging it on this board is kinda laughable.

I am NOT a gearhead; I always had a friend or two blessed with that kind of aptitude. Did those friends do all my maintenance? Hardly. I started when I was eighteen, and quickly became an adept sidewalk mechanic. Over a space of fifteen years I put approximately 200,000 miles on a '72 Combat, a '69 S type, and 2 '74 850 Roadsters. The only advantage I can think of having enjoyed, was possession of a set of BSW wrenches and sockets. Armed with these and the realization that the only reasonable way to proceed was to attack maintenance on a routine basis, (ie. when it is required versus when it's too late,) I had a monumentally long and rewarding ride.

So, in summation: the bikes leak engine, primary and gear oil: Big Deal. I've ridden em hard, put em away wet, and NEVER been stranded in all of the time I owned the bikes. And if I had a specialty it was in the long-haul category. Ten-thousand mile winters avoiding the snow. Touring Europe. Following the Grateful Dead, I'm talking mileage, bro. I had to putt single-cylindered over 200 miles of mountain roads once. But the bike didn't give up. Don't get me wrong, you'll break down riding a Commando too. But that's when you'll meet amazing and generous people along the way. I've even beat speeding tickets when the cop just decides he'd rather talk about the Commando.

locO leoN said:
Hey Lee,

Thanks buddy!!... I think this bike is gonna be a keeper..
I think however, Im gonna do this one over a long period of time.

Here is some progress!! ;D

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1768.15

Cheers!!

Oh, and I didn't mention: on none of my Nortons did I ever take the practical step of fitting electronic ignition or a Mikuni carb. So, you can expect to have enven more fun and even less trouble if you're going that direction.

Okay, I'm done, my apologies to all the nay-sayers...

locO leoN said:

versefool said:
Oh, and I didn't mention: on none of my Nortons did I ever take the practical step of fitting electronic ignition or a Mikuni carb. So, you can expect to have enven more fun and even less trouble if you're going that direction.

Okay, I'm done, my apologies to all the nay-sayers...

LOL!!... Thanks for the vote of confidence!!.. ;D
As I research the bike more, hunt for parts & get a general understanding of the Norton characteristics, the more I like the bike.
Simply because I find myself more on the 60/40 ratio of wrenchin & tinkering / riding.
I find that I enjoy more of the wrenching and tinkering then riding.. Dont get me wrong, I love to ride, but I love to wrench more...

So I find the Norton more appealing since you'll have to wrench more to get the riding!!.. ;D
So, I think this bike is the perfect one for me!! ;D Besides, as you know, my type of riding isn't long distance 1000km trips, which I could do easily on my cb750 anyhow if I wanted to.

Cheers ;D

versefool said:
Hey Noel,

sorry I've only got a bunch of Triumph stuff at present. You're welcome to come by and have a look though. I'll get a list up on the sell forum before long. Some of it is swappable, if you're not determined to follow a rigorous restoration regimen.

Oh, and I've got a little axe to grind:

I take it you're taking all your "Ton-Up" brothers' anti-Brit twin propaganda with a good-humoured pinch of salt. There are two, and I am simplifying here, two types of (ex)Norton owners: those that got into it wide-eyed and recognizing the peerless aesthetic experience of riding "The Roadholder", and those whipped by repeated failures to meet the bike half-way on the maintenance front. Needless to say, those detractors who've never owned one are hardly in a position to pass judgement.

It's funny, you know, I rode Commandos for many years beginning in 1979. And it wasn't til I got on a Z1 for the first time that I was convinced of the irrevocable demise of the British bike industry as we'd known it. And even then my buddy on his Z1 couldn't follow me around corners! The Commando was the final manifestation of the original Ton-Up machines. Slagging it on this board is kinda laughable.

I am NOT a gearhead; I always had a friend or two blessed with that kind of aptitude. Did those friends do all my maintenance? Hardly. I started when I was eighteen, and quickly became an adept sidewalk mechanic. Over a space of fifteen years I put approximately 200,000 miles on a '72 Combat, a '69 S type, and 2 '74 850 Roadsters. The only advantage I can think of having enjoyed, was possession of a set of BSW wrenches and sockets. Armed with these and the realization that the only reasonable way to proceed was to attack maintenance on a routine basis, (ie. when it is required versus when it's too late,) I had a monumentally long and rewarding ride.

So, in summation: the bikes leak engine, primary and gear oil: Big Deal. I've ridden em hard, put em away wet, and NEVER been stranded in all of the time I owned the bikes. And if I had a specialty it was in the long-haul category. Ten-thousand mile winters avoiding the snow. Touring Europe. Following the Grateful Dead, I'm talking mileage, bro. I had to putt single-cylindered over 200 miles of mountain roads once. But the bike didn't give up. Don't get me wrong, you'll break down riding a Commando too. But that's when you'll meet amazing and generous people along the way. I've even beat speeding tickets when the cop just decides he'd rather talk about the Commando.
Hi, Lee you are so right Commando's require constant care and attention but in return you get lots of funnnn I had a 1969, sweet bike sadly i sold it to finance other projects .. Any way i see that you have some trump stuff!! I am looking for front forks in useable shape for my cafe project[69 bsa thunerbolt] ,and decent rims can you help jimd ???

Noel i had the Mikuni single carb conversion worked great gives u more ridin time LOL unless u are gonna get the Amals resleevd as the bores wear so Just a new sleeve,needle etc just dont cut it. I have a set of almost new throttle cables and air slides, float, viton needle. also Norton parts manual, Restration guide book can send some pics if interested jimd

intrudin said:
Noel i had the Mikuni single carb conversion worked great gives u more ridin time LOL unless u are gonna get the Amals resleevd as the bores wear so Just a new sleeve,needle etc just dont cut it. I have a set of almost new throttle cables and air slides, float, viton needle. also Norton parts manual, Restration guide book can send some pics if interested jimd

Hey Jim,

Id totally be interested in those Carb parts and throttle cables!!..
Send me a PM.. how much would you want for them??!!.. Is there anything that I might have that you'd be interested in trade?

Cheers
N

locO leoN said:
Hey Jim,

Id totally be interested in those Carb parts and throttle cables!!..
Send me a PM.. how much would you want for them??!!.. Is there anything that I might have that you'd be interested in trade?

Cheers
N

My 750 cafe

Hey Noel, this is wot ive got!! the norton manuals don't have a finger print. the resto book is in great shape too
regards jim

Hey Jim,

I could use the Throttle cables, & floats!!
I have the shop manuals, but not the Restore book.

IS that Restor Book for a 72?. Send me a pm of with how much are you looking to get!

cheers
NOel

locO leoN said:
Hey Jim,

I could use the Throttle cables, & floats!!
I have the shop manuals, but not the Restore book.

IS that Restor Book for a 72?. Send me a pm of with how much are you looking to get!

cheers
NOel

NOel... cable's ,airslides/springs,floats,1 viton tip needle, and resto book good for all models,
are worth $146. + in Walridge book new.These are excellent used items

Back
Top Bottom