Wanted - good deal on a Weber BBQ

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone with the inside track on BBQ's? You never know - maybe one of you owns Weber ;)

I'm not sophisticated enough for charcoal. We BBQ at least weekly all year round, so the convenience of propane is important.

two best times for bbq buying ... top of the season i.e. april and and of the season i.e. november.
my brother bought his webber in november for $200 and I bought mine for $300 in april ... the same bbq

Techincally a propane fueled cooker is a grill, a charcoal or wood burner is a bbq.

ALL YOU NEED IS A SMALL DRUM 15 TO 25 GALLON NO NEED FOR THE 50 GALLON VERSION. CUT IT IN HALF. THE STANDARD REPLACEMENT GRILL RACKS WILL FIT ON THE 25 GALLON STEEL DRUMS. TAKE A COUPLE OF YOUR OLD MAIN JETS FROM THE MIKUNI'S AND THREAD THEM IN SEQUENCE ON THE BOTTOM. IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN USING THOSE MOST HOME STORES HAVE REPLACEMENT BURNERS FOR GRILLS. FIT IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DRUM 15 DEGREES OFF CENTER TOWARD THE REAR. DRILL A HOLE I BELIEVE IT'S 5/8 GET A 90 ELBOW FOR GAS CONNECTION FIT IT TO THE DRUM & ATTACH THE PROPANE TO THIS. THIS LEAVES THE CENTER TO CUT A SMALL HOLE AND HANG AN OLD FOSTERS CAN TO CATCH THE GREASE AND DEBRIS(BURNT BURGERS THAT SLIP THROUGH). GET A PROPANE JUG THEY SELL THEM FOR ABOUT 35 TO 45 IN MOST GROCERY STORES IN THE NORTH EAST. YOU CAN USE OLD FORK LEGS AND TACK THE SLIDERS TO THE SIDES THIS GIVES AN EARTHQUAKE PROOF GRILL FOR THOSE IN CALIFORNIA. OR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO GRILL WHILE DRIVING ON THE INTERSTATE. YOU CAN USE THE OLD GAS CAP AND TACK THAT OVER A HOLE DRILLED IN THE TOP. THIS GIVES VENTING FOR SMOKE. GET OLD TURKEY THRMOMETER AND PUT IN INTO THE TOP SECTION ABOUT 3 INCHES FROM THE TOP OF THE GRILL HEIGHT. SO YOU GET A GOOD ACCURATE READING ON TEMP.

NOW BEFORE YOU SAY ARE YOU CARZY THIS THAT I HAVE JUST DEACRIBED IS WAY EASIER THAN BUILDING A BIKE AND YOU HAVE DONE THAT.

YOU CAN POWEDER COAT THE WORDS WEBER ON THE FRONT OR JUST GET HIGH TEMP BBQ GRILL BLACK AND RED PAINT TO DO THE SAME.

Wow - maybe we should start a whole new forum on DIY BBQ's/Grills!

Mortikan - please please please turn your caps-lock off!

sorry every program I use requires it so when I bounce to the forum for a few I forget and just type willy nillie. or should I say I SCREAM AT ALL OF YOU.

I will do my best to not yell so much

I've got the grandpappy of all Webers...

its the charcoal grill with a propane start!

small bottle screws up under the table and lights the charcoal in 5 minutes flat.

it owns.

With charcoal, how long is the wait from initial lighting to cooking?

Hmmmm.... do you have to get rid of the ash every use? If I had the place I used to have out in the country (burn pit in the backyard etc.) it would be easy, but in my little 17 foot wide lot, there is only so much room to put this sort of stuff, even if it might be good for the garden etc. We grill a lot, probably 3-4 times weekly year round.

Tintin said:
Anyone with the inside track on BBQ's? You never know - maybe one of you owns Weber ;)

Why a Webber??? what price range, What options....rear burner/rotiss...side burner??
Check out this Candian manufacturer..http://www.napoleongrills.com/ may be i can help....jimd

Not stuck on Weber. Just saw them and was convinced they were better than the Vermont Castings units I was looking at.

I'll check on the Napoleons. Just looking for a basic grill. No side burners, no rotissery/rear burner needed (but I'd take them if it was the right grill). Small backyard - 3-4 burner is plenty big for me.

I had a look, and if I were going to go Napoleon, I'd probably go for one with an infrared burner. Looks like Prestige PT450RBI is a good model.

The Napoleon PT450RBI is a nice choice if you are a steak lover..The infrared burner reaches 1800 deg C inless than 2min, then it sears the steak real fast to keep the juices in.. Jeeeeze i'm getting hungry now... The rotis.... works great with the infrared rear buner. the roll top lid is a great space saver in small areas, Three seperate main burners so you can so you can different cooking heats or turn one off and you have indirect cooking options [butt chicken] Did I mention that I am a Napoleon dealer lol ;D For the best deal come and see me at the Napoleon both at the http://www.nationalhomeshow.com/ME2/Sites/Default.asp?SiteID=80EA9EABB89F4FAFA51E00279F3D0AC4.

I have some on display in the show room can give you a real gooddeal on a floor model. propane or nat gas??? jimd

It would be propane. The infrared burner is appealing - 90% of our grilling is steak.

I'll try to swing into the show for sure. I've got lots of projects on the way this spring/summer and will need ideas.

Back
Top Bottom