1975 CL360 Motor stuck?, won't rotate.

humblegeo

Pulled this motor off of an old 75 CL360 that had been sitting for years and years. It is stuck and won't rotate. I've used PBBlaster and WD40 to sray in the cylinders. checking it every week or so for rotation and spraying more in there as the months passed. Still stuck. Decided to pull off the valve cover and inspect Cam Chain, thinking it might be broke and causing the lockup but all looks normal there, chain is still in place and tensioner and slipper look good. What would you guys recommend as the next step? I had an extra motor that I wound up putting on the bike but would like to figure out why this one won't rotate. Looked at the engine oil and looks pretty clean, I doubt that the pistons seized in the cylinders from lack of lubrication, it's probably just corrosion from sitting for years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tear it down,only way to see what you have.
if it was assembled and spun you could do a differential pressure ck but you still are only throwing the dice when you do not really know the history! more than likely has stuck rings and corroded cylinder
joe@ vcycle
www.joesvcycle.com

Yup like they said,
Just rebuild the top end.
I have gotten down to about 15 min to rebuild mine, (plus removing gaskets lol)
Its really too simple.

I just freed a motor in a 350 that had not turned in about 25 years. Pulled it apart till I saw the piston that was stuck. Put Transimission fluid and acetone 50/50 into it, covered it and let it set for two weeks. When I got back to it I heated the block with a heat gun to about 150 and then gave the piston a whack with the hammer on a block of wood. Make sure you support the jugs with wood on the bottom. I tried everything before this treatment and nothing worked.

+1 on ATF, but mix it with Diesel. Both are highly detergent.

I would buy I magnetic engine pan heater and put it on the cylinders using some thick wire. Princess Auto sells them for about $50. Heating the jugs will cause them to pull away from the rings.

IF you're not out a running bike by taking something apart, then take the head off, its 8 Nuts and 2 bolts and a few taps MAYBE with rubber mallet.

You also may pull the side covers as well as you might have a stuck starter clutch or something jammed into the gears on the clutch side.

ive had great luck with marvel mystery oil or KROIL (this stuff blows all others out of the water) just google it. id let it sit for a few days or a week or two and every couple of days id get a socket that was just a bit smaller then the piston and wack it with a dead blow, seems to work fine but if it's stuck you SHOULDN'T use that old piston anyways so break it down to parade rest and start fresh

Re: 1975 CL360 Motor stuck?, won't rotate.

CLR...calcium, lime, and rust remover. A buddy of mine used it on a tractor motor and it worked great. Chances are if its stuck tho its guna need a rebuild

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Should probably be just the rings.. every one gave you good advice.. Your bike has a wet clutch.. so the gears should be good.. I too would pull the covers,new rings,new gaskets ,clean the oil filter, and hoan the jugs.. A rubber mallet is my best friend when it comes to brake free the jugs .. Good luck..

Back
Top Bottom